Stop blaming Bowden for the Reds mess........

Paul Daugherty's view on the matter.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070521/COL03/705210317/-1/columnists

Who was the GM the last time Cincinnati made the playoffs, 12 years ago?

Who was the GM the last time Cincinnati had a very good ballclub, the 95-win group in 1999?

Who was the GM the last time the Reds had a winning season, seven years ago?

What might you say about taking gambles that consistently came up big? Go for it, Bodes: Ron Gant in '95, Eric Davis in '96: NL Comeback Players of the Year. John Smiley in 1993, signed as a free agent. Pete Harnisch in 1998, signed as a free agent.

In a 10-day span in July, Bowden acquired David Wells, Dave Burba and Mark Portugal. They won 18 games combined the rest of the year. The Reds won the division.

Bowden signed Jeff Brantley as a free agent before the '94 season. Brantley saved 87 games the next three years. In '96, he was the best reliever in the league. Bowden signed Jeff Shaw before the '96 season. Shaw set up Brantley that year, then saved 42 games the following year. Shaw was the best reliever in the league.

Brantley and Shaw, the best in the NL in consecutive years. Tell me again what a bad GM Jim Bowden was.

He traded Reggie Sanders for Greg Vaughn. Vaughn hit 17 homers in September '99, and finished with 45. Had those 95-win Reds made the playoffs, Vaughn might have been the NL MVP. Bowden took a chance and claimed Pete Schourek off waivers; Schourek won 18 times in '95 and finished second in the Cy Young balloting.

He traded John Smiley for Danny Graves. Smiley won exactly two more games in his career. Graves became the Reds' all-time saves leader. And so on. And by the way, for those who rip Bowden's drafting skill, under his watch the Reds picked Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Aaron Boone, Scott Sullivan and Scott Williamson. Bowden traded Rob Bell for Edwin Encarnacion and got Felipe Lopez for Elmer Dessens.

Guess where Bell and Dessens work now, win fabulous prizes.

To even things out, at least look at things from both points of view. Here is an article from 2003.

Five best moves

• Acquired Danny Graves, Jim Crowell, Scott Winchester and Damian Jackson from Cleveland for John Smiley and Jeff Branson in 1997.

• Acquired Dmitri Young from St. Louis for Jeff Brantley in 1997.

• Traded Dave Burba, on the eve of his scheduled 1998 Opening Day start, to Cleveland for Sean Casey.

• Claimed Pete Schourek on waivers from the New York Mets in 1994.

• Signed Pete Harnisch as a free agent in 1998.

Five worst moves

• Traded OF Paul O'Neill to Yankees for OF Roberto Kelly in 1992.

• Left P Trevor Hoffman unprotected in 1992 expansion draft.

• Fired Tony Perez after 44 games as manager in 1993.

• Traded P Gabe White to Colorado for P Manny Aybar in 2000.

• Traded for Bruce Chen, Brian Moehler, Shawn Estes and Ryan Dempster during the 2003 season. Only Dempster remains with the club.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/03/30/wwwred2a30.html

Notice the word DEVELOPED isn't mentioned much. That's how he killed this franchise. And no, I won't forget it...

Exactly. All you see is traded for...

Hell, drafting 20 kids a year for 10+ years (or whatever) my 4 year old could produce 5 big league ball players...

Notice the word DEVELOPED isn't mentioned much. That's how he killed this franchise. And no, I won't forget it...

From the article and what I listed above.......

And by the way, for those who rip Bowden's drafting skill, under his watch the Reds picked Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Aaron Boone, Scott Sullivan and Scott Williamson. Bowden traded Rob Bell for Edwin Encarnacion and got Felipe Lopez for Elmer Dessens.

Exactly. All you see is traded for...

Hell, drafting 20 kids a year for 10+ years (or whatever) my 4 year old could produce 5 big league ball players...

Seems he matched your 4 year old with 5 players that made it to the big leagues and contributed to the Reds.

And by the way, for those who rip Bowden's drafting skill, under his watch the Reds picked Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Aaron Boone, Scott Sullivan and Scott Williamson. Bowden traded Rob Bell for Edwin Encarnacion and got Felipe Lopez for Elmer Dessens.

Well build him a freakin museum. Those guys all suck...

Seems he matched your 4 year old with 5 players that made it to the big leagues and contributed to the Reds.

That's 5 players you can mention over how many years?

If the first sentence is the qualifications, then you can remove that S on the second one.:D

I just meant that GT usually has a lot of great posts that are very well done. Yet a post that is VERY honest and succinct comes across just as good, if not better. :lol: