What in the world does Greenup do now?

I tend to agree with FBALL that the administration must shoulder much of the blame for this fiasco.

It sounds like Coach Hicks did not play politics with the right people in the Greenup administration and he got shoved out on some trumped up charges. I think the fact that Hicks has retained David Welch as his attorney speaks volumes for the validity of Hicks' suit.

We don't know how this litigation will turn out, but don't be surprised if Hicks is vindicated.

I think a lot will depend on the results of the federal investigation of the GC school system. The investigation centers on if Hicks mid-year dismissal was in retaliation for Hicks testifying against the former principal in a civil rights investigation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone help with some answers w/o smearing any individuals ? My question(s)---I've heard FOREVER about this Greenup co chaos , power brokers behind the scenes, fights amongst east/west people , hicks vs non hicks people and on and on . The TEAM, and program, is suffering terribly from this. The coaching search was a disaster. SOOO ---can someone name names ?? Without pointing out personal opinions or even stating what "side" these people have ---just who are the movers/shakers that are so invovled with the GCHS that they can alter the administration ? Or is this a myth ? And it's just the adm' not doing a good job ? Who has the power ? One last question , this former principle in the hicks lawsuit ---who is that ? I'm not looking to smear or offend people , just curious to who some of the power brokers are in this mess . Please don't sling mudd ! LB

How many kids will be hurt during that time it takes for things to work things out. In every school system and not just GC the kids should be the number one focus of the parents, school administration, and all that surround the school. That seems to have been lost in Greenup (if it ever was there to start with). What a shame!!!!

Does anyone else have the feeling that the worm is turning in this fiasco? Hicks appears to be looking better.

It all depends on the results of the federal investigation of the Greenup County school system for retaliation against Hicks.

Is the hiring of Coach Leach finalized or pending future developments? It would seem unlikely that Greenup County could offer the position with no possible strings attached.

In any case, I wish Coach Leach, assuming he becomes "Coach Leach", the best of luck. My contacts in Greenup County indicate that he may have been the last candidate remaining in the field.

From my understanding from talking to coaches in the district, Hampton was hired, went home to vanceburg, told his kids and the school he was leaving, then was called by the greenup co. principal who had just hired him and was told that because they were friends, he had to tell him that it wouldnt be in his best interests to come. Im sure he told him this due to the pending legal problems and what may happen if hicks comes out on top of this and is reinstated, leaving hampton with nowhere to go. Trust, I think Hampton wanted this job and I dont think it was his change of heart that caused this problem.

From my understanding from talking to coaches in the district, Hampton was hired, went home to vanceburg, told his kids and the school he was leaving, then was called by the greenup co. principal who had just hired him and was told that because they were friends, he had to tell him that it wouldnt be in his best interests to come. Im sure he told him this due to the pending legal problems and what may happen if hicks comes out on top of this and is reinstated, leaving hampton with nowhere to go. Trust, I think Hampton wanted this job and I dont think it was his change of heart that caused this problem.

I would doubt that Coach Hicks has any interest in coaching at Greenup County. I would guess that his goal is to prevail in the law suit- a very solid possibility.

I understand that there was a committee appointed to evaluate applicants for the coaching job. The "head" of that committee, from my information, is referred to in some above posts. I also understand that the work of the committee was ignored by the administration which has produced more hard feelings- as if any more were needed.

Under the circumstances, Mr. Leach may need a Plan B.

I have heard he has more pull than some realize.

Voicing his opinion and essentially railroading the AD office at GC.

I know well enough to know that the only pull he has is a couple of friends in the right places. But you are right he and a couple of others are part of the problem. It is just a matter if you want to put up with him or not. He has much more bark than bite.