Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Macy to UK????????

Featured Replies

The only thing, and I mean ONLY thing that Macy did while at MSU was get Ricky Minard to come there. The only reason he even went to MSU was because of his cousin, Marquis Sykes. Macy recruited players that were NAIA caliber players. Half of the team from 2 years ago has transferred to Shawnee State in Ohio! He just flat out can not coach!!!

 

Name someone that has had prolonged success at Morehead the past 20 years.

 

Plus, didn't Macy recruit Erik Brown? I don't remember, although Brown did leave MSU after leading all freshman in the nation in scoring.

 

Macy did the best he could with what little he had to work with. He wasn't going to land a Top 100 recruit there.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time MSU made an appearance in the NCAA tournament was back-to-back seasons: 82-83/83-84.

 

MSU finished with a 25-6 mark in the 1983-84 season and was 1-1 in the NCAA tournament. Macy was the last coach to acheive 20 wins at MSU since the 83-84 season and Macy was the first coach to win the OVC regular season title since that magical season of 83-84.

 

I think Macy accomplished a lot in his 9 years there, but he stayed too long and should've left when other opportunities arose. No one could have prolonged success at MSU because the recruiting handicaps they face.

Macy did make some progress at Morehead, but the Eagles fell off the face of the planet after Miniard graduated.

 

If he could have kept Brown at Morehead and paired him with Miniard and Sykes, Morehead would have been tough to beat during their time there.

Macy did make some progress at Morehead, but the Eagles fell off the face of the planet after Miniard graduated.

 

If he could have kept Brown at Morehead and paired him with Miniard and Sykes, Morehead would have been tough to beat during their time there.

 

Why do you think Macy had such a hard time maintaining and keeping talent at MSU?

Wireman, just tell me when and I will start naming the reasons to keep him away!:thumb:

 

 

I'll be there to add to your list. He was horrible and MSU. He had the best team probably ever at MSU and couldn't get to the OVC finals.

Why do you think Macy had such a hard time maintaining and keeping talent at MSU?

 

The few good basketball players that Macy had ended up spending more time at the Rowan County Detention Center than they did on the basketball court! He did land Brown, who was nothing but a trouble maker. Macy spent his recruiting time getting players from Ohio, who should have been playing NAIA basketball. They would come into Laughlin Gym, and would be easily beaten in pickup games. I understand that Morehead isn't exactly a basketball hotbed but there is also no excuse for that team to win 4 games in a season! If you ever watched Macy on the sidelines he wasn't even the coach making the calls, it was his head assistant, who's name I forgot. He didn't communicate well with his players and during his last couple of years as the head coach he brought in Allen Edwards to bridge that gap, and he spent more time drinking with them out at restaurants (I would have said bars here but anybody who has ever been to Morehead knows that there is just 1 bar). Macy was a joke as a coach!

The few good basketball players that Macy had ended up spending more time at the Rowan County Detention Center than they did on the basketball court! He did land Brown, who was nothing but a trouble maker. Macy spent his recruiting time getting players from Ohio, who should have been playing NAIA basketball. They would come into Laughlin Gym, and would be easily beaten in pickup games. I understand that Morehead isn't exactly a basketball hotbed but there is also no excuse for that team to win 4 games in a season! If you ever watched Macy on the sidelines he wasn't even the coach making the calls, it was his head assistant, who's name I forgot. He didn't communicate well with his players and during his last couple of years as the head coach he brought in Allen Edwards to bridge that gap, and he spent more time drinking with them out at restaurants (I would have said bars here but anybody who has ever been to Morehead knows that there is just 1 bar). Macy was a joke as a coach!

 

 

His name was Wayne Breeden. He coached at Ashland and is now coaching high school again in Western Kentucky. I think it's Warren Central or something like that but don't hold me to that.

The few good basketball players that Macy had ended up spending more time at the Rowan County Detention Center than they did on the basketball court! He did land Brown, who was nothing but a trouble maker. Macy spent his recruiting time getting players from Ohio, who should have been playing NAIA basketball. They would come into Laughlin Gym, and would be easily beaten in pickup games. I understand that Morehead isn't exactly a basketball hotbed but there is also no excuse for that team to win 4 games in a season! If you ever watched Macy on the sidelines he wasn't even the coach making the calls, it was his head assistant, who's name I forgot. He didn't communicate well with his players and during his last couple of years as the head coach he brought in Allen Edwards to bridge that gap, and he spent more time drinking with them out at restaurants (I would have said bars here but anybody who has ever been to Morehead knows that there is just 1 bar). Macy was a joke as a coach!

 

I can't vouch for the bar comments or your observation that his head assistant was making the calls because I wasn't there. If you were and you saw these things, then that's interesting insight. As for players spending time behind bars, that can/does happen at many programs in the country, including UK in the past.

 

All can argue is that his record wasn't horrible overall considering where he was coaching at, as you mentioned, Morehead isn't a basketball hotbed. I still say that to win 20 games in a season there is an accomplishment, along with landing some key recruits including Brown and Minard, along with the kid that played alongside Minard and was hurt down the stretch his senior year, considering the scale MSU is on.

Minard was the real deal!

 

I went to Morehead St. during Macy's era and I was the RA of the basketball team and I got to know each player very well and even got to know Coach Macy really well.. The guy you are talking about being hurt his Senior year was Chez Marks from Paris, Ky.

 

I will also have to admit that while there COach Breeden did do a lot of the shot calling

His name was Wayne Breeden. He coached at Ashland and is now coaching high school again in Western Kentucky. I think it's Warren Central or something like that but don't hold me to that.

 

Thanks!

 

All can argue is that his record wasn't horrible overall considering where he was coaching at, as you mentioned, Morehead isn't a basketball hotbed. I still say that to win 20 games in a season there is an accomplishment, along with landing some key recruits including Brown and Minard, along with the kid that played alongside Minard and was hurt down the stretch his senior year, considering the scale MSU is on.

:thumb: :thumb:

His name was Wayne Breeden. He coached at Ashland and is now coaching high school again in Western Kentucky. I think it's Warren Central or something like that but don't hold me to that.

 

Owensboro High School.

The last Miniard-Sykes-Marks team was pretty solid, but lacked an inside presence, best I recall. Murray State beat them in the OVC semifinals that year, and as everyone knows the road to the OVC title usually goes through the Racers.

I will also have to admit that while there COach Breeden did do a lot of the shot calling
As he should have ... Breeden is a very good Xs and Os guy, and Macy had absolutely no coaching experience when Morehead hired him.
I'll be there to add to your list. He was horrible and MSU. He had the best team probably ever at MSU and couldn't get to the OVC finals.
Let's face it ... it's hard to attract a lot of talent to Morehead, because of the rural location and a program with little in terms of tradition. It takes a dynamic personality to get recruits to come there, and Macy just isn't that kind of guy.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.