Dick Vitale: What happened?

Blah, blah, blah....

I heard Dickie V all weekend.

26 wins a season baby.

26 wins a season.

ugh.

26 wins a season.......against inferior competition.

LOST to all ranked opponents this year!!!

I have said it before.

A 10 loss season

A 10 loss season

A 10 loss season

A 10 loss season

A 12 loss season

A 13 loss season

And can't beat Vandy, Florida, UNC, Kansas, Michigan State, Georgia swept Uk just recently, UCLA, Memphis,

:laugh: Settle down there man!! I just love it how people have took the last two years, and try to make it out to be like it has been like this all 10 years. You say his 26 wins were against inferior competition, and I say bull. I mean the last two years yeah your right the games we have won really have been against inferior competition, but look at it we didn't win 26 games in these last two years. So for him to have averaged 26 wins a year that must mean he had quite a few seasons where he had to have beat alot of good competition to get that win total up..So will you all please stop using the last 2 years, and acting like that has been like that the last 10 years, because it is just not true...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the bottom line, Vitale is friends with Tubby and has publically stated his admiration for him and now he thinks the UK fans ran Tubby out. But what ole' Dickie fails to realize is that Tubby's agent was contacted by Minnesota in DECEMBER, at the beginning of the season, about the Gopher's position and Tubby said he would be interested. Back then the pressure on Tubby was minimal, the Cats had lost to a couple Top 10 teams and were doing OK. So, Tubby wanted out before the "BIG" pressure came and now he comes out smelling like roses and UK fans look like an angry lynch mob. I've gotten really angry watching these ESPN "experts" bash UK fans only because they like Tubby or because they dislike UK as a whole. This is a perfect opportunity for the ESPN and CBS haters like Digger, Bill, and Billy to bash on UK a bit. It's really making me sick. The fact of the matter is that Tubby DID NOT perform up to the standards of a job with a UK, Duke, or a UNC. And that standard does not mean you HAVE to win championships, it means you have to content for championships and that means making the Final Four. If Tubby would have made at least 1 or 2 Final Fours with his teams during his tenture, he would still be the coach at UK and the fans would be just fine. But he didn't and now he's in Minnesota and I'm sure he knew the standards of the job when he took over in 98'. I've realized now that it was just like everything else in this world, POLITICS !!! Politics by Tubby, politics by UK, politics by everyone except the UK fans who just want what's best for the program and everyone has an opinion on that.

Tubby's reported salary at UK was just over 2M per year...Thats far from the highest paid...Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Coach K and a few others exceed his UK salary....

That's not true. Coach K, maybe but Tubby was one of the highest paid coaches. Top 3 !!

I'm a self proclaimed hater of UK's Eighteen Percenters. I was a big fan of Tubby Smith, and I always cheer for UK football, since I helped protect their star (Keenan Burton) in high school.

Get it in order before you label me anything.

Protect...I like that;)

:laugh: Settle down there man!! I just love it how people have took the last two years, and try to make it out to be like it has been like this all 10 years. You say his 26 wins were against inferior competition, and I say bull. I mean the last two years yeah your right the games we have won really have been against inferior competition, but look at it we didn't win 26 games in these last two years. So for him to have averaged 26 wins a year that must mean he had quite a few seasons where he had to have beat alot of good competition to get that win total up..So will you all please stop using the last 2 years, and acting like that has been like that the last 10 years, because it is just not true...

Really???? Give me 1 quality win this season.....

There were problems the entire 10 years. Saul Smith shouldn't have started, big recruits didn't pan out or left (several). The style was always boring and slow. OTS wasn't terrible and had several VERY GOOD years, but acting like there were no problems is absurd.

When Tubby arrived at UK in the fall of 1997 he inherited a team that was very talented, and he did well with that talent.

I have always said the man CAN coach. But no matter if it's John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, or any other number of great coaches, if you can't bring in the talent it's going to be difficult to win. And Tubby wasn't bringing in the talent in recent years at a level that was acceptable. Guys like Hansbourgh, Wright, Young, and Durrant considered the Cats, but decided to go elsewhere. Maybe it was his assistants fault, maybe his style of play, but for whatever reason top recruits have not been overly interested in Kentucky. And now the next coach is inheriting a major rebuilding problem....something Tubby didn't have to worry about in the fall of '97.

Rebuild?????? What's to rebuild???? I thought OTS had a good program going. Oh wait..... We only have a senior class and a sophomore class returning....................

Again 2 classes with any talent..... Thanks Tubby.

That's not true. Coach K, maybe but Tubby was one of the highest paid coaches. Top 3 !!

No he was correct, Coach K, Tom Izzo and Roy Williams all made more than Tubby did while he was at UK. He may have been 4th, but I'm not sure as there were several around that $2 million mark. Williams and Coach K both make about $3 million per, and Tom Izzo makes about $2.6 million per year.

Tubby was not as successful as Coach K, Roy Williams or Tom Izzo so he should have been paid less than them.

2001-02 19 12 First Round Lost to North Carolina State 58-69

2002-03 22 13 Elite Eight Lost to Texas 76-85

2003-04 18 12 First Round Lost to Nevada 66-72

2004-05 26 7 Final Four Lost to North Carolina 71-87

2005-06 22 12 First Round Lost to George Mason 65-75

2006-07 23 11 Second Round Lost to North Carolina 67-81

2001-02 19 12 First Round Lost to North Carolina State 58-69

2002-03 22 13 Elite Eight Lost to Texas 76-85

2003-04 18 12 First Round Lost to Nevada 66-72

2004-05 26 7 Final Four Lost to North Carolina 71-87

2005-06 22 12 First Round Lost to George Mason 65-75

2006-07 23 11 Second Round Lost to North Carolina 67-81

That Final Four apperance is one more than Tubby has in the last 9 seasons and if you go over the length of Tubby's career at UK then the record is not even close, Tubby loses on that one too.

That Final Four apperance is one more than Tubby has in the last 9 seasons and if you go over the length of Tubby's career at UK then the record is not even close, Tubby loses on that one too.

Face it. Izzo would be run out of Lexington for that record. Period. End of story. THREE first round loses? How many of those did Tubby have again? You're arguing to talking points and it's weak...

If i'm not mistaken, thats 5 10+ loss seasons since 2000...I'll take that bet on overall record....

Tom Izzo in the last nine years has been to three final fours and an elite eight. If Tubby had done that well I think most fans would have been very happy with those results, I know I would have. Yes, the first round losses are not something that would have went over well but I think that the final fours more than make up for that.

No he was correct, Coach K, Tom Izzo and Roy Williams all made more than Tubby did while he was at UK. He may have been 4th, but I'm not sure as there were several around that $2 million mark. Williams and Coach K both make about $3 million per, and Tom Izzo makes about $2.6 million per year.

Through incentives yes but base guaranteed money NO. Tom Izzo made over $7 million last year through incentives and endorsements but as a base guarenteed salary, Tubby's was the highest. Coaches get different money each year for different incentives based on various things but mostly how far their team goes in the NCAA. They may get an extra $500,000 for an Elite 8 or an extra $1,000,000 or the Final Four or a national championship. But as far as base salary and guarenteed money, Tubby was #1 on that list at $2.1 million a year. I thought he was the highest but I had to check because I thought Coach K may be paid more but after checking it was Tubby as the highest.