Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Vitale: What happened?

Featured Replies

No he was correct, Coach K, Tom Izzo and Roy Williams all made more than Tubby did while he was at UK. He may have been 4th, but I'm not sure as there were several around that $2 million mark. Williams and Coach K both make about $3 million per, and Tom Izzo makes about $2.6 million per year.

 

Salary in millions-

 

Roy Williams--- $1.4

Tom Izzo-- $1.8

Coach K-- $1.3

Thad Matta-- $1.8

Rick Barnes-- $1.8

Tom Crean-- $1.68

Jim Calhoun-- $1.5

Billy Donavan-- $1.4

John Calipari-- $1.3

Bill Self-- $1.6

Bill Gillispie-- $1.24

Ben Howland-- $1.3

 

And the Top Dog is......................Tubby Smith--$2.2

  • Replies 108
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom Izzo in the last nine years has been to three final fours and an elite eight. If Tubby had done that well I think most fans would have been very happy with those results, I know I would have. Yes, the first round losses are not something that would have went over well but I think that the final fours more than make up for that.

8-6 in the tournament since their three year run. 5 10 loss seasons in those 6 years. 3 1st and a 2nd round exit in that span. Declining recruiting. Slow, methodical defensive minded game plan that can be boring to watch. In a what have you done for me lately fish bowl that is Lexington there is no way people would be happy with the last 6 years Izzo had at MSU. Final 4 or not...

I am not saying that the people in Lexington would or would not be happy with what Izzo has done, I am saying that he has been more successful over the last ten seasons than Tubby has been. And that does not mean that I think that Izzo is the man for the job at UK, just that I believe he has done better overall than Tubby has.

Face it. Izzo would be run out of Lexington for that record. Period. End of story. THREE first round loses? How many of those did Tubby have again? You're arguing to talking points and it's weak...

 

All I can say about Izzo is 4 final fours and an Elite 8 in the last nine years. That's pretty darn good.

All I can say about Izzo is 4 final fours and an Elite 8 in the last nine years. That's pretty darn good.

 

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying also.

All I can say about Izzo is 4 final fours and an Elite 8 in the last nine years. That's pretty darn good.

3 of those 4 seasons are collecting dust at a rapid pace. Stan Heath and Tom Crean recruited at a big time level. Since they left, not so much...

And if Tubby would have stayed he would have endured next year his third straight double digit loss season so he was on a nice streak as well. Whoever comes in as the next coach will have a mess to clean up, Tubby did not leave the program in as good a shape as he found it, that is for sure.

Did any of you guys read the UL message boards early in the season?:rolleyes: There were a very larger percentage wanting to fire Pitino this year.

None of them were reading U of L boards, they were to busy keeping track of Kentucky.

8-6 in the tournament since their three year run. 5 10 loss seasons in those 6 years. 3 1st and a 2nd round exit in that span. Declining recruiting. Slow, methodical defensive minded game plan that can be boring to watch. In a what have you done for me lately fish bowl that is Lexington there is no way people would be happy with the last 6 years Izzo had at MSU. Final 4 or not...

Have we stooped to comparing UK basketball to Mich State? Come on apples and oranges. Izzo's record at MSU has nothing to do with anything at UK. You have no idea what Izzo's record would have been at an "elite program" school.

Have we stooped to comparing UK basketball to Mich State? Come on apples and oranges. Izzo's record at MSU has nothing to do with anything at UK. You have no idea what Izzo's record would have been at an "elite program" school.

I was simply pointing out it's absurd to say Izzo deserves more than Tubby given what he has "accomplished" at Michigan State over the last six years. And thumbing your nose at MSU is to be expected I guess. You guys are starting to get testy... :fire:

Not testy here, enjoying the good conversation myself, :cool:

Why are we still talking about Tubby?

:laugh: Settle down there man!! I just love it how people have took the last two years, and try to make it out to be like it has been like this all 10 years. You say his 26 wins were against inferior competition, and I say bull. I mean the last two years yeah your right the games we have won really have been against inferior competition, but look at it we didn't win 26 games in these last two years. So for him to have averaged 26 wins a year that must mean he had quite a few seasons where he had to have beat alot of good competition to get that win total up..So will you all please stop using the last 2 years, and acting like that has been like that the last 10 years, because it is just not true...

 

 

00-02 seasons wasn't exactly peaches and cream....

Tubby's record was full of extremes. Either really high, like the 98 championship and the team in 2004-2005 or not so good like the last two seasons. Not much in between, either really good or well below expectations.

Really???? Give me 1 quality win this season.....

 

There were problems the entire 10 years. Saul Smith shouldn't have started, big recruits didn't pan out or left (several). The style was always boring and slow. OTS wasn't terrible and had several VERY GOOD years, but acting like there were no problems is absurd.

 

I am not going to respond to you, until you look at my post again, and think about what part you want to bold next time, because you will see what I was talking about...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.