Dick Vitale: What happened?

Did any of you guys read the UL message boards early in the season?:rolleyes: There were a very larger percentage wanting to fire Pitino this year.

But the guy that really matters, Jurich, stood by his guy and declared that "Rick Pitino will be the coach at UofL for as long as he wants to, period". To the contrary Barnhart flip-flopped around until Tubby decided to get out of Dodge. I'd say the "Boot Pitino" fans were out-numbered 10-1 by the "Tubby Bashers".

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get to claim having the largest fan base you also get the most idiots... :p

Noone here ever claimed the largest fan base, although, since you brought it up, you're right....For that reason, you're right on point #2, but, a % is a %, however you look at it...

I think one of the things that have bothered me the most about Vitale's remarks is its been so out of character for him. If Billy Packer or Doyel or Forde or someone like that said it I would not be surprised in the least.

Honestly it really dont bother me what Vitale has said, because it has alot of truth to it. I know I dont take it as that he thinks all the UK fans are stupid and stuff like he mentioned. He was just talking about the idiotic fans that we do got who put for sales signs in his yard, and buy ads in the paper, etc. He talking about how if a coach who comes here doesn't do just about perfect, you will have idiotic fans doing stuff like that to drive the coach out..So yeah that is why I am not upset about it, and I dont know why so many people are upset, because it is true...However once this thing passes and we get a new coach, he will cool down about it, and everything will be just fine...

I'm as big a UK fan as anyone, I bleed blue like the rest of you, but like it or not most of what Dicky V said was true. Reguardless of who they hire if we don't get into at least the elight 8 next season alot of fans are going to be out for the coaches head, like it or hate it, it is what it is. Theres not a coach in the country thats going to be a saviour at UK it will take time to get a title. Time to recruit and build a team,time to develop chemistry, and time for freshman to mature. Most(not all) of our fans expect miracles on the hardwood and with todays parody in college athletics its nearly unthinkable like it once was to dominate the college game. There are players playing an Mid-Major DII programs or NAIA programs who could eaisly start for a Duke, Tennessee, Ohio State...etc. Not saying that in a negative way but just using that as an example of the parody in CBB. The key word here is patience.

Honestly with UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and IU (probably it)....the job is a severe double edged sword...it could be the absolute best job in the entire country...or the very worst...Ask Tubby after 1998, or after this past season...two different answers, I bet.

Because there is a degree of truth to it. The sky will be the limit when the new coach is announced...but they won't get to the Final Four next year, they will likey lose double digit games again....then it is a race to get the best recruits in, as quickly as possible... becuase that streak would just continue...then let's say the coach does win a title....he had better do it again within another 8 years...or the natives get restless again.

Nobody is asking for a title every 8 years, I would say a final 4 every 8 years.

Honestly with UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and IU (probably it)....the job is a severe double edged sword...it could be the absolute best job in the entire country...or the very worst...Ask Tubby after 1998, or after this past season...two different answers, I bet.

I agree you are absolutley right, its that dream job that every coach wants but when they get it they will be absolutly miserable at some point in there career there.

And you would be wrong in that. The FANS, the boosters, etc. definitely had a big part in him leaving. Yeah in the end he walked on his own, but do you think he would have done that if the fans didn't really pretty much hate him for all 10 years he was here. From the very beginning there was many fans who didn't want him here, and he just finally realized that no matter what he did here, he still would not be wanted by many. So in the end that had a huge part in him walking away, and that is the truth even if you dont want to admit it...

:cry: Poor old Tubby. I bet they never really paid him 2 million a year and give him a $1.5 million bonus when he left either.

Truth or not, does anybody really care what Dick Vitale says. I mean cmon guys it's Dick Vitale. He's a blubbering slobbering idiot. Does anyone really take this guy seriously. It's awesome baby.

I thoroughly enjoy him...but it is obvious why.