Why are girls' teams shooting so bad?

IMO, I feel like the game is changing such that the players are getting faster, more physical, and more athletic. However, most girls at this level have not adapted their scoring ability yet. You see, while good ball movement some time ago was good enough to get a girl open enough to set shoot from a particular position on the floor, defenders are now closing out faster and quicker to the shooter forcing them to put the ball on the floor.

Now that said, Girls basketball is facing the same dilemma that the boys game faced in the 80's. During that period, players had to learn to shoot off of the dribble and create shots in movment. Two girls who I have found that can do that are Queen and the Scott Co. girl (sorry dont remember her name only saw her once). True others can do it and there are several that are learning. I think that because of this, girls basketball will see the most advancement in the coming decade than will the boys. It should make for exciting basketball in the future for girls basketball. Look at Candice Parker at TN, in ten years there will be 20 of those in college basketball. Wont that be exciting.

Crimedoc, you crack me up! I sent you a PM because I knew you were kidding around. This is good!:thumb:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Overuse of the three due to lack of inside presence and ability to get the ball inside. Also, the other points mentioned that the girls game has not devloped to where girls come off screens and pop or off the dribble. Do not get me wrong, there are girls capable but they are few and far between. It has to be taught at the lower levels.

I don't know the statistical back up for this...but a thought; beginning at the early ages, the girls are generally less aggressive and insecure throwing the ball up...add to that some slightly 'old school' and/or less than full understanding of the game coaches telling kids not to shoot because it may not be a great shot or they may be too far out or whatever?....(encourage em to fire at will!!! freedom to shoot encourages the desire and the confidence to do it!)anyway...then the better kids go aau and the quickest, tallest, most athletic dominate....it's a track meet, which is fine, but it doesn't exactly develop the fifteen foot jump shot; then add in the comments above ie the more athletic defense, bigger arena etc....oh yeah...and the emphasis on the dunk!

Overuse of the three due to lack of inside presence and ability to get the ball inside. Also, the other points mentioned that the girls game has not devloped to where girls come off screens and pop or off the dribble. Do not get me wrong, there are girls capable but they are few and far between. It has to be taught at the lower levels.

There are very few coaches out there that really know how to teach the post game and get easy baskets. The high percentage shot is not there anymore due to defenses being more physical and lack of coaching the post game. Also the big girls that would normally would be post players only are trying to come out and shoot a long shot. Girls that are not 3 pt shooters at all are throwing up bombs now and it is just not working out for them. Because these girls are more athletic than ever they should be trying to get to the basket as much as possible, not settling for an outside shot.

The outside shooting I saw in the 9th region tourney was disappointing. Whoever taught these girls to shoot the outside shot with such a high arc has to explain the logic to me. It doesn't make sense.

I think you're seeing similarities in the boys game. Defenses are now much better and I'm not sure many of the coaches can overcome that with offensive strategies.

Lastly, Justleme play hit it on the head. In girls ball, especially if you've got a strong player who can handle the ball, many girls score a great majority of their points on layups in the younger grades. They are not working on what they will need once they get to high school. This goes to the coaches who are looking to win instead of looking to teach and develop.

IMO...there are several other factors that contribute as well. There is a huge difference when they step into a large arena and that atmosphere. There is also such a big difference in depth perception and most players are not conditioned to play on a 94ft floor.

Atrocious shooting rules in the regular season as well. Can't tell you how many games I watched last year where the winning team failed to shoot above 37 percent. IMO, a lot of it has to do with a lot more teams employing press defenses and running offenses, and the aforementioned impatience in the offensive set (bad shots taken).

As a varsity coach and working with a team that wasn't the greatest shooting, you have to balance what you can do or not do.

Learning to be a good to great shooter is a long process and will not happen (especially if their shooting form is horrible and you have to teach them to break bad, bad habits) in just a couple of seasons.

So you as a varsity coach, you get the players sophomore year and you can invest all the time and energy to make them a good to great shooter by their senior year (cause you are going to have to put in a lot of time from practice to work on it) and struggle their sophomore and junior season.

Or you can say, we are going to be a defensive team and score out of our defense with transitions and easy baskets.

It is more immediate success for a coach to chose the latter and is actually EASIER to do. With the right strategy and mindset, you can be a good to great defensive team in a short period.

You cannot be a good to great shooter in a short period of time.

As a varsity coach and working with a team that wasn't the greatest shooting, you have to balance what you can do or not do.

Learning to be a good to great shooter is a long process and will not happen (especially if their shooting form is horrible and you have to teach them to break bad, bad habits) in just a couple of seasons.

So you as a varsity coach, you get the players sophomore year and you can invest all the time and energy to make them a good to great shooter by their senior year (cause you are going to have to put in a lot of time from practice to work on it) and struggle their sophomore and junior season.

Or you can say, we are going to be a defensive team and score out of our defense with transitions and easy baskets.

It is more immediate success for a coach to chose the latter and is actually EASIER to do. With the right strategy and mindset, you can be a good to great defensive team in a short period.

I know it took me a few years to become a great shooter. :D

Seriously though, you hit the nail on the head. I can teach any team to play great defense and give them a chance to win most games, assuming the team is not totally devoid of athletic talent.

I know it took me a few years to become a great shooter. :D

Seriously though, you hit the nail on the head. I can teach any team to play great defense and give them a chance to win most games, assuming the team is not totally devoid of athletic talent.

Even if it is devoid of athletic talent but has some basketball intelligence, I could design a trapping defense or "amobea" defense to give the other team fits.

This past year when we got into a postseason tournament, we designed a defense that we had not played all year specifically for our first round opponent. They had scored 50-some points against us in the first meeting. Scored in the high 20's the 2nd time. We practiced it for 3 days specifically for that team. They had in single digits for the first half. They made some adjustments and then killed us on the offensive glass the second half.

We couldn't make a shot though and lost 29-25.

I agree totally with the fact that if you invest alot of time and energy from sophmore to senior year. I saw this so much in seeing NCC play almost every game and Shannon Klei turned out to be a great shooter. She always had a lot of athletic talent but her shot struggled throughout the years her sophmore and junior years and probally was the reason they lost in districts in 2006. However her senior year she was one of the best shooters in the 9th.

I agree totally with the fact that if you invest alot of time and energy from sophmore to senior year. I saw this so much in seeing NCC play almost every game and Shannon Klei turned out to be a great shooter. She always had a lot of athletic talent but her shot struggled throughout the years her sophmore and junior years and probally was the reason they lost in districts in 2006. However her senior year she was one of the best shooters in the 9th.

I will go out on a limb and say that Ms. Klei invested a lot of her personal time working on her shot, too. That the development of her shooting touch come her senior year was not exclusively from working on it during NCC practices.

Shooters are developed from February to November. NOT and I repeat NOT developed November to February.