Why are girls' teams shooting so bad?

It makes me sad to see this thread back up... still no bite on my dunk joke. :cry:

In a game the other day, one of my players on a breakaway decided to go right down the middle and missed the layup. Next break I talked to her about getting an angle and not going down the middle UNLESS she was going to dunk the ball. She looked at me like I was stupid or something until she realized I was joking with her.

Later in the 2nd half, she did it again and this time she said she missed it because as she went down the middle of the lane, all she could think about was dunking the basketball.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go out on a limb and say that Ms. Klei invested a lot of her personal time working on her shot, too. That the development of her shooting touch come her senior year was not exclusively from working on it during NCC practices.

Shooters are developed from February to November. NOT and I repeat NOT developed November to February.

Agree completely. Great shooters are developed in the off season by shooting, shooting, and shooting more. I have known many great shooters and they all had tremendous off-season work ethics. There is not enough time during the season to practice shooting. Basketall is one of the very few sports you can practice the most fundemental aspect of the game by yourself. Coaches can correct flaws in form, but a player is the only who can make themselves better shooters by practicing.

• 2 weeks later...

What I have been seeing over the last couple of years is that there is no emphasis on fundamentals. Passing especially. There are very few schools who have players that can pass the ball inside to open themselves out on the outside. The game is not played inside out like it should. If you have a big girl use her to open up the offense. I see too many shots being taken before all of the team is down and set to run an offense or any body there to grab a rebound. Shots being taken on only one or two passes. Instead of running only a couple of offensive sets the girls are being loaded up with many and don't have any time to practice to become proficient on few. Time is spent running offense after offense and most of the girls are watching rather than practicing. How about foul shots.....most teams will loss because they only shot 50%. This is the easiest shot to practice...take 100 before you go home after practice. Et

The good teams understand fundamentals and practice those daily if for only 1/2 hours. Those that don't will be beat because they don't know what to do in certain situations.

What I have been seeing over the last couple of years is that there is no emphasis on fundamentals. Passing especially. There are very few schools who have players that can pass the ball inside to open themselves out on the outside. The game is not played inside out like it should. If you have a big girl use her to open up the offense. I see too many shots being taken before all of the team is down and set to run an offense or any body there to grab a rebound. Shots being taken on only one or two passes. Instead of running only a couple of offensive sets the girls are being loaded up with many and don't have any time to practice to become proficient on few. Time is spent running offense after offense and most of the girls are watching rather than practicing. How about foul shots.....most teams will loss because they only shot 50%. This is the easiest shot to practice...take 100 before you go home after practice. Et

The good teams understand fundamentals and practice those daily if for only 1/2 hours. Those that don't will be beat because they don't know what to do in certain situations.

Amen brother....:thumb:

I'm inclined to agree with your point about interior passing. I see so many teams that could take a big step forward if they could run a good high-post offense.

I was at an AAU tourney over the weekend & the shooting wasn't bad. I saw the u14 team of Cutter Hoopsters loose in the state championship game 97-88. I didn't the shooting was bad but there wasn't defense either. They lost to the Luuisville Sting who they had beaten earlier in pool play. Great game by both teams.

I was at an AAU tourney over the weekend & the shooting wasn't bad. I saw the u14 team of Cutter Hoopsters loose in the state championship game 97-88. I didn't the shooting was bad but there wasn't defense either. They lost to the Louisville Sting who they had beaten earlier in pool play. Great game by both teams.