NKY Ref: KHSAA Official of the Year

cshs81

NKY official Matt Young (Conner alum) has been named KHSAA Football Official of the Year.

Congratulations to Matt. From Ryan Ernst's blog:

Officially recognized ...

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association named Northern Kentucky official Matt Young as the 2006-2007 Outstanding Football Official of the Year. The award was given at the Officials’ Division Recognition Awards Banquet held during the boys’ state basketball tournament this past weekend in Lexington.

Young, 36, of Independence has completed 17 years of football officiating in Northern Kentucky and in that time has worked 29 post-season assignments including two state championships, four semi-finals, and five regional finals. He also directs the training and development program for the Northern Kentucky Officials Association. In addition to high school, he is also a referee in the Mid-South Conference and a supplemental official to the Ohio Valley Conference.

No matter what game Matt and his crew are at you know the game will be officiated fairly and accurately and they will be in control of the coaches and players the entire game. And no matter if it is a running clock game or a nail-biter the same effort will be exhibited.

I forget which game I was attending that Matt worked but one thing that jumped out at me is how well he communicates with the head coaches. Heck, it might have been a JV game. There was an odd play or sequence of calls and no one knew what was going on. He calmly got with his partners, got all the details, told the head coaches what was going on first and THEN stepped it off. It was a nice way of handling the situation.