Bozich: Time For Tubby To Move On

Booge

Another Tubby hater with expectations that are too high.:laugh:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/COLUMNISTS01/702270454

This is the happiest way this story can end: Tubby Smith concedes the best thing for his happiness is to leave the University of Kentucky for a coaching position at another campus or in the pros.

UK thanks him for the 1998 NCAA title and other splendid moments. He thanks UK for providing a national platform and bumping him into the highest tax brackets.

Kentucky fans get a new coach as crazy about the job -- and, more importantly, recruiting -- as they are. Smith leaves with his considerable pride intact as well as the opportunity to prove he can win at any gymnasium.

Perfect.

Maybe athletic director Mitch Barnhart started pushing the school and Smith toward this happily ever after scenario yesterday. I hope so. In response to media requests for his thoughts on another uninspiring 19-9 UK season, Barnhart issued a 122-word statement.

If Smith was trouble-free, Barnhart could have kept his statement to five words: "Tubby is my coach. Period."

John Clay and Bozich can blast Tubby until the cows come home just like a lot of people. Truth is these guys are just journalism majors who happened to go into sports.

Jay Bilas said it best when talking about his job. He said he never has to be wrong because he gets to set back and second guess coach's decisions.

Heres some guy's opinions I value:

Jay Bilas

Doug Gotlieb

Dick Vitale

Larry Conley

Guys I dont value

John Clay

Pat Forde

Bozich

Bozich says Patterson and Lucas are looking at considerable playing time next year if they come to UK. While Patterson almost certainly is because there is no other option, I'm not sold that Lucas would be playing a lot. Tubby has typically shown that he doesn't play freshmen a whole lot when he has other options, and UK should be very deep at the guard position next year, so Lucas and playing time is far from a foregone conclusion with seniors Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley along with sophomores Derrick Jasper, Jodie Meeks and Michael Porter already in place. All things considered, I'd think long and hard about coming to UK if I were Jai Lucas.

Bozich says Patterson and Lucas are looking at considerable playing time next year if they come to UK. While Patterson almost certainly is because there is no other option, I'm not sold that Lucas would be playing a lot. Tubby has typically shown that he doesn't play freshmen a whole lot when he has other options, and UK should be very deep at the guard position next year, so Lucas and playing time is far from a foregone conclusion with seniors Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley along with sophomores Derrick Jasper, Jodie Meeks and Michael Porter already in place. All things considered, I'd think long and hard about coming to UK if I were Jai Lucas.

Well I been someone saying that exac same thing for awhile now, that I really dont know why Lucas would want to come here because we are loaded with guards...However now after seeing how Jasper is a liability pretty much in our half court offense which really hurts this team. I do think Lucas would get a lot of playing time because we would need a pg who can run the show and score as well....

Well I been someone saying that exac same thing for awhile now, that I really dont know why Lucas would want to come here because we are loaded with guards...However now after seeing how Jasper is a liability pretty much in our half court offense which really hurts this team. I do think Lucas would get a lot of playing time because we would need a pg who can run the show and score as well....

We definitely could use a PG who could score, but I just have some really strong doubts as to whether Lucas would see the floor for any significant time next year with all the more experienced guards ahead of him considering Tubby's track record in that regard. Especially if we land Patterson...if Patterson was there we would have a legit scoring threat at the 4, meaning the PG would be our only weak position and Jasper's lack of offense wouldn't be such a glaring weakness, IMO. His lack of scoring is magnified right now because we don't have a scoring threat from the 4 spot either, which basically puts us at 3 on 5 at the offensive end (Crawford, Bradley and Morris). I hope we get to find out...:thumb:

:thumb:

John Clay and Bozich can blast Tubby until the cows come home just like a lot of people. Truth is these guys are just journalism majors who happened to go into sports.

Jay Bilas said it best when talking about his job. He said he never has to be wrong because he gets to set back and second guess coach's decisions.

Heres some guy's opinions I value:

Jay Bilas

Doug Gotlieb

Dick Vitale

Larry Conley

Guys I dont value

John Clay

Pat Forde

Bozich

:rolleyes: Do you know Rick Bozich? Have you met him? Have you ever talked sports with him?

Not only is Rick Bozich an IMMENSELY talented writer when he's on his game, Rick Bozich knows sports. He's nationally respected for a reason. Heck, he's in Gil Thorpe for crying out loud.

This post is way off.