Tim Hardaway's Comments...

I said it in the Dixie Chicks thread and I'll say it again here: The Constitution protects you from government restriction, not others opinions. He had a right to say what he said, but everyone who speaks out against him has that right too. Now, one could make the case that society makes too big of a deal out of these comments, but there is no law against it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it in the Dixie Chicks thread and I'll say it again here: The Constitution protects you from government restriction, not others opinions. He had a right to say what he said, but everyone who speaks out against him has that right too. Now, one could make the case that society makes too big of a deal out of these comments, but there is no law against it.

Nuff said

Think real hard about it. Do you really believe that with being banned from all-star events, all the names he's being called and so forth that people really think he had the right to say what he felt?

I have not read any/many posts where people said he COULD NOT legally say what he said. Its just that many/most blasted him for what he had the absolute right to say.

I live, breath, and eat the constitution, every article and subparagraph. I also believe it means what it says.

I would be "naive" to believe that everyone is fair minded enough to show consideration for the rights of others. In fact, all most care about is their own rights, so excuse me when I still think it's okay to want to live by the constitution.

And PLEASE show me where these rights I speak of don't exist in the constitution.

I'd suggest you "eat" a little more and fully digest the subparagraphs before you make the following claim:

To allow any of his rights to denied because he exercised one of them is a disgrace.

You do understand what the Freedom of Speech clause protects, correct?

I have not read any/many posts where people said he COULD NOT legally say what he said. Its just that many/most blasted him for what he had the absolute right to say.
Read between the lines, my friend. There are ways of saying things in a subtle manner, not that I’m saying all of them are doing so, but I do think some of them are. Obviously it's only my opinion.

If he had an absolute right to say it, why is being punished? Do we always punish people for what they had an absolute right to do? Seems kind of odd, don't you think?

Obviously it's only my opinion.

If he had an absolute right to say it, why is being punished? Do we always punish people for what they had an absolute right to do? Seems kind of odd, don't you think?

Come on, RTS. Having a "right" to say something does not preclude one from being verbally slapped around or having an employer hand down a punishment. Despite what Luvthegame is trying to pass off, this is not a Constitutional violation of one's freedom of speech. As I said previously, I have the right to spew any hate-filled message but there can be, and many times are, repercussions that go along with it. It doesn't lessen my freedom to say it. I just have to use my brain before I exercise my Constitutional right. TH did not. His employer, the NBA, punished him. Many/most employers would do the same and have 100% authority to do so.

Come on, RTS. Having a "right" to say something does not preclude one from being verbally slapped around or having an employer hand down a punishment. Despite what Luvthegame is trying to pass off, this is not a Constitutional violation of one's freedom of speech. As I said previously, I have the right to spew any hate-filled message but there can be, and many times are, repercussions that go along with it. It doesn't lessen my freedom to say it. I just have to use my brain before I exercise my Constitutional right. TH did not. His employer, the NBA, punished him. Many/most employers would do the same and have 100% authority to do so.
I'll admit I'm not an expert on the Constitution or the law. I don't fully agree with you though, whenever I've been punished it's been because I was 100% in the wrong, I don't see where he was. I don't agree with his comments but to receive any punishment for it is ridiculous IMO. When did everyone in this country turn into such wimps? The PC crap has run amok and it's only going to get worse. Too many thin skinned people anymore, it's sickening.

I'll admit I'm not an expert on the Constitution or the law. I don't fully agree with you though, whenever I've been punished it's been because I was 100% in the wrong, I don't see where he was. I don't agree with his comments but to receive any punishment for it is ridiculous IMO. When did everyone in this country turn into such wimps? The PC crap has run amok and it's only going to get worse. Too many thin skinned people anymore, it's sickening.
Agreed..:thumb: If someone sticks a mike in my face and asks me how I feel about a subject, I'm going to tell them exactly how I feel...