Marty Schottenheimer fired

bugatti

There are rumors saying that this is the reason Sarkasian pulled out of the Raiders job at the last minute. He is probably next in line at USC. They are also saying that USC and Carroll was probably waiting on the signing day to pass so they wouldn't lose recruits...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had one year left and said he wasn't going to resign...

On Sportscenter this morning, they implied that in trying to fill the numerous holes on the coaching staff, him and the GM couldn't agree.

It was reported that they two have not spoken to each other for over 2 years. They do through others carrying messages back and forth.

Hard to not talk to your boss for two years and think that is a positive situation.

Owner said he was tired of the atmosphere and wanted to change it.

I think Marty's bad rep is unfair. It's not like all the playoff losses were on his shoulders. I mean it isn't a coaches fault that his kicker missed a field goal or your running back fumbled on his way into the end zone. I know that it is inevitable for the coach not to be blamed but still, one player makes a play in the past and we have an entire different view of him as a coach.

Look beyond those single plays you mentioned, and you'll notice all the seemingly insurmountable second-half leads Schottenheimer teams blew in playoff games, and playoff games his teams lost outright when they had the superior talent. Also, look up what the term "Marty-ball" means.

Marty Schottenheimer is an excellent coach if you are building a franchise. He's a solid regular season coach. But his ultra-conservative playcalling never works in the postseason the same way it does in the regular season. You've got to take risks to win in the postseason, and Marty is just not wired that way.

Look beyond those single plays you mentioned, and you'll notice all the seemingly insurmountable second-half leads Schottenheimer teams blew in playoff games, and playoff games his teams lost outright when they had the superior talent. Also, look up what the term "Marty-ball" means.

Marty Schottenheimer is an excellent coach if you are building a franchise. He's a solid regular season coach. But his ultra-conservative playcalling never works in the postseason the same way it does in the regular season. You've got to take risks to win in the postseason, and Marty is just not wired that way.

I understand this, but the fact is that despite is extremely conservative playcalling, his team was still in a position to win. I agree with what you said, I just think it is somewhat unfair to give him all the blame he gets.