CovCath 58 NewCath 56

The written rule does leave some leeway for officials. I think he blew it too early but I guess its always good to err on the safe side. Of course, #23 made the ref look like a fool when he immediately hopped up and sprinted down the floor AFTER play was stopped.

And the NewCath Coach who quite literally was on the floor yelling at the ref to blow that whistle, because of his injured player, who obviously wasn't hurt, or at least hurt enough to stop play as the NewCath player sprinted down the floor after the play was stopped as you said cshs81. I thought Coach L was going to go through the roof, when the Ref blew it and indeed thought he should have gotten a "T", but I think the Referees were none to pleased that they got duped into blowing that whistle, and let Coach L off the hook....

I personally think the player did a disservice not only to the game, but to a truly injured player, as the next time a player is hurt, I look for this group of officials to let the play continue, as to not look foolish again.

Two calls that puzzled me a lot......

First call was when a NewCath player went down under their basket and when CovCath got the rebound they went driving down to score, all of a sudden the Ref's blow the whistle to stop CovCath. Why? Second when the ref allowed the NewCath coach to call a timeout when neither NewCath or CovCath had possession (or so it seemed to me). Ref's let a lot go uncalled tonight that let this game almost get out of hand.....

Still don't understand why NewCath didn't do a lob to their big boy with only 5.1 seconds left in the game and with the inbound under their basket? At worst, he misses and gets fouled. ball into the NewCath player. CovCath ball and the game.....

tonight....and I will agree with others, NewCath blew this game tonight....

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Your choice now seems to be either be a official or coach. Seems you think you can do either at a high level.

Personally, I liked how you would have done a sell out deal on a lob with "only" 5 seconds left under your own basket. Not much else you can do with five seconds, I guess.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Your choice now seems to be either be a official or coach. Seems you think you can do either at a high level.

Personally, I liked how you would have done a sell out deal on a lob with "only" 5 seconds left under your own basket. Not much else you can do with five seconds, I guess.

Oldguy, I'm sure the fine young men of NCC love reading for the world to see about how they "blew" it. That's what it's all about.

To both cantstop85 and Sandman: The day I worry about what either of you think, is the day that I stop posting.....

Now as for you Sandman, I can tell you that the many, many CovCath fans that I was sitting with, all thought that the lob would have worked. The NCC Kid was having a heck of a second half, and I still think if he hadn't made it, he most probably would have been fouled, now the only question is, would he have made the free throws? Not sure the way NCC was shooting them Friday night, or the way they shot them during the first meeting......

Cantstop85, the fine young men of NCC I am sure feel they blew the game too, and I also think that if you put on that uniform, and want all the glory after a victory, you had better be ready to take some heat when you lose a game you should have won.... BTW I wasn't the first to say they blew it even on line, and if either of you were at this game, almost all in the stands were saying the same thing, be they either CovCath or NCC fans.

To both cantstop85 and Sandman: The day I worry about what either of you think, is the day that I stop posting.....

Now as for you Sandman, I can tell you that the many, many CovCath fans that I was sitting with, all thought that the lob would have worked. The NCC Kid was having a heck of a second half, and I still think if he hadn't made it, he most probably would have been fouled, now the only question is, would he have made the free throws? Not sure the way NCC was shooting them Friday night, or the way they shot them during the first meeting......

Cantstop85, the fine young men of NCC I am sure feel they blew the game too, and I also think that if you put on that uniform, and want all the glory after a victory, you had better be ready to take some heat when you lose a game you should have won.... BTW I wasn't the first to say they blew it even on line, and if either of you were at this game, almost all in the stands were saying the same thing, be they either CovCath or NCC fans.

This is the difference between you and I Oldguy. I have never posted anything that I would not say to someone's face. Would you really walk up to a 15, 16, 17 year old kid after a game like that and say "you blew it"? If the answer is no, why would you post it? Not a big believer in not kicking someone when they're down I guess. NCC took a top 10 team in the state to the brink, on the road, in a very hostile environment, where their stud got carried off and came back to carry his team on his back and almost pulled off one of the biggest upsets in years. I would not have the nerve to characterize anyone on the NCC team as "blowing it". My opinion is you have no idea the kind of "heat" these kids take already. It's probably too much after a loss like that. They don't need piling on. We do not think alike; I'm glad.

This is the difference between you and I Oldguy. I have never posted anything that I would not say to someone's face. Would you really walk up to a 15, 16, 17 year old kid after a game like that and say "you blew it"? If the answer is no, why would you post it? Not a big believer in not kicking someone when they're down I guess. NCC took a top 10 team in the state to the brink, on the road, in a very hostile environment, where their stud got carried off and came back to carry his team on his back and almost pulled off one of the biggest upsets in years. I would not have the nerve to characterize anyone on the NCC team as "blowing it". My opinion is you have no idea the kind of "heat" these kids take already. It's probably too much after a loss like that. They don't need piling on. We do not think alike; I'm glad.
I don't remember ever reading one of your posts. But if there are more like this, I hope to.

Great post. :thumb:

Yes I would tell them they blew it, and my guess (you note I said guess) their Coach told them that too, and then pated them on the back telling them what a great game they played.

Would I say that to a grade school kid, or a kid playing on a low level sports team? No, but these kids, are far past that point. Playing at the level that they play at, they should realize that it is, what it is. Again if you want all the glory that comes with being a High School Athletic, then you are going to have to learn to take the heat also...

98NCCalum ask one of your guy's if they thought they should have won the game? I say that they will tell you that they let that one slip away. Maybe blew it is too harsh for some of you, but the meaning is the same.....

Letting it slip away, didn't take care of business, let them off the hook, gave it away, should have won, played for only 31 minutes, and the, many more I could post, all mean the same thing....

Yes I would tell them they blew it, and my guess (you note I said guess) their Coach told them that too, and then pated them on the back telling them what a great game they played.

Would I say that to a grade school kid, or a kid playing on a low level sports team? No, but these kids, are far past that point. Playing at the level that they play at, they should realize that it is, what it is. Again if you want all the glory that comes with being a High School Athletic, then you are going to have to learn to take the heat also...

98NCCalum ask one of your guy's if they thought they should have won the game? I say that they will tell you that they let that one slip away. Maybe blew it is too harsh for some of you, but the meaning is the same.....

Letting it slip away, didn't take care of business, let them off the hook, gave it away, should have won, played for only 31 minutes, and the, many more I could post, all mean the same thing....

Any adult that does not pick up a KID, be it high school KID or grade school KID, "BLEW IT". What possible good could come of some hack from the stands going up to a player after a game and telling them they blew it. You're right, they know how close they came and you're right they are going to beat themselves silly over what they could have done differently that may have won the game. That is where grown, mature and caring adults need to bend over backwards picking them up off the ground and not coming up to them with a kick to the chops. I could go on all day about the good that would come from my method. Come on Oldguy, let's hear your argument. Convince me it's a good thing telling a kid from NCC after that game that they blew it. While you're at it, please add a convincing argument why someone like you is the person to be telling them that.

So "kids" as you call them, who can drive at 16, get married at 18, vote at 18 (yes there are plenty of players 18 or nearly 18 on HS teams) gets his picture and name in the paper for being the hero of the game, gets all kinds of good thing happening to him because he is a player, but can't take a little heat? So OK, tell the team that they played their little hearts out, tell them what you think that want to hear, me I will be truthfull and honest, and my guess is they won't like what I say, but it is usually the best policy...They know it, you know it, so why lie to them.....

I guess your biggest complaint is the words "blew it"? Would you have been as mad, if I had typed let it slip away?

BGP's is made up of people with different opinions, yours and mine are different, so be it.......

I don't remember ever reading one of your posts. But if there are more like this, I hope to.

Great post. :thumb:

I appreciate the kind words. I am very disheartened by some of the comments that get posted about these kids. I think these forums can be very good sources of information and discussion. I think they can also be very damaging and this is a perfect example. To get into an argument that it is ok to tell a kid after a tough loss that they blew the game, it sickens me. I choose to no longer take part in it as this will be my last post. I leave with this.

To all high school athletes: keep working hard to be the best players you can be. You owe nothing to anyone besides yourselves, your team mates and your coaches. Look into the mirror because it will not lie to you; it will tell you exactly who you are. Don't listen to fans that are spending time saying what they would like you to be for some kind of selfish gain. We appreciate the dedication you show by all the practice, sacrifices and politics that bombard your four years of high school ball. I hope you stay safe and before it's all over, you have pleasant memories that last a lifetime. Good luck to all.

I appreciate the kind words. I am very disheartened by some of the comments that get posted about these kids. I think these forums can be very good sources of information and discussion. I think they can also be very damaging and this is a perfect example. To get into an argument that it is ok to tell a kid after a tough loss that they blew the game, it sickens me. I choose to no longer take part in it as this will be my last post. I leave with this.

To all high school athletes: keep working hard to be the best players you can be. You owe nothing to anyone besides yourselves, your team mates and your coaches. Look into the mirror because it will not lie to you; it will tell you exactly who you are. Don't listen to fans that are spending time saying what they would like you to be for some kind of selfish gain. We appreciate the dedication you show by all the practice, sacrifices and politics that bombard your four years of high school ball. I hope you stay safe and before it's all over, you have pleasant memories that last a lifetime. Good luck to all.

Y'know, this discussion does bring up a great debate on what is ethically acceptable or deplorable in relationship to what is posted on BGP. I think that you both bring up great points to ponder. Before BGP existed, most discussion groups that I ever was associated with weren't so locally related. Being more widespread as many are, it's easy to enjoy the anonymity that national or world topic discussion groups can provide. Because of their nature, an awful lot of them can become pretty outrageous at times with no limitations. People have come to realize that even in a 'no limit' type internet environment, offensive posters can truly destroy a good tread. I applaud the Guru for having the vision from the very beginning to set some guidelines on BGP to keep things from getting out of hand. Could you imagine how crazy things would've gotten on this site if he had not? For me, this site is a pleasure for many reasons. I thouroughly enjoy going out to a game and being able to later discuss and/or read about it to the Nth degree, whereas before BGP, discussion of a game was very short lived. Being the basketball junkie that I am, it has made the game all that much more enjoyable. It made the dynamics of an internet discussion group much more interesting to me because you feel like you're both actively and passively apart of something other than typical idle posting about trivial world happenings. You almost feel part of the game. With this comes the question of responsibility. I must admit that at times my postings have been a little harsh after I've been to a game and I wasn't thrilled with the outcome. I've even been guilty of using my anonymity to see if I can motivate teams or players to play the way that I hoped they would. Of course it's always fun to play the game of guessing and boast a little when you've been right on target with your predictions. At first I think that I tried to even stretch the limits of what I could get away with knowing that no one knew who I was anyway. I love the 9th Region. I attended one of the 20 or so schools in the 9th Region but have never revealed on this site which one. I'm excited when my alma mater wins, but I'm usually just as excited about any TEAM in the 9th that excels. I enjoy seeing a TEAM being able to celebrate the hard work that they put in and share in their happiness when they succeed. Typically, each year after seeing a number of the 9th Region teams play, I tend to gravitate to the TEAM or TEAMS that learn to grow with the season and stay focused and give it their all than teams that squander their talent or sell themselves short. Not every TEAM can win the 9th each year, but whoever does I'm rooting for them all the way when they get to Rupp. When I first started posting on here I made the mistake of letting someone I ran into at a game know what my handle on BGP and he told me that he doesn't post on here and that he just reads it. Bologny! I'm sure he's out here somewhere and I just haven't figured out yet who he is. Anyhow, by being stupid enough to tell him who I was without thinking about it first, he has commented to me in person about not being thrilled with some of the things that I've said on BGP. I'm not personally affiliated with any schools, nor do I have any children that attend any local schools, so my responsibility to being always politically correct perhaps doesn't always jibe with how he sees it to be. The joy of posting here has certainly lessened for me simply because I know that someone knows who I am and perhaps doesn't always understand where I am coming from or what motivates me to say whatever it is that I say. I used to enjoy the freedom of anonymity, but it's been kind of blemished because I was tricked into revealing myself in a game of chit chat and wasn't thinking about the consequences of telling him. Perhaps I'm way too self-conscious about it and perhaps he's never given it another thought, but it certainly has cramped my style a bit. It can certainly make things uncomfortable with going to a game of my alma mater's if by chance anyone knows that at times there's also other teams that I might root for. I know this all sounds petty, but pettiness was what I was hoping to avoid. I like getting out to see a season of games because this game of survivor is much more interesting to me than the TV game of Survivor. I really never wanted to get caught up, in person, with fans who are die hards about their team or any scrutiny or analysis of my character. I never care about what side of the gym I sit on. It's usually the side that's easier to get out of so I can beat the crowd out of the parking lot. I guess that he got what he was asking for when he asked what my handle was because he now has the freedom to keep an eye on what I am saying. Oh well, I guess that I'm either going to have to stop posting or just let him eat whatever I say that he doesn't agree with. On this site, you guys don't agree with each other but that's partially the fun of debates because as long as you don't reveal yourself you can get just about anything off of your chest. You might've had a hard day at work and this is your way of venting and avoiding kicking the cat or being grumpy to the wifey. I think that within reason no body needs to fret too hard about what they say as long as it's within the Guru's guidelines. I'm not all about running these kids into the dirt or anything, but I'm sure if these kids are tough enough to kick some butt on the court they are tough enough to hear what people think about their style of play or their team's. You know for sure that they experience discussion and/or trash talk all the time when they bump into their comtemporaries in school or on the streets, I'm sure they can handle whatever they read on here. Bad or good, I'm sure they fiend off of it anyway. Bad or good, I'm sure they enjoy the attention. Ultimately though, I am a bit on the fence with how careful I need to feel about what I say on this site. Of course an argument can be made about me that perhaps I need to grow up or something, but if nobody knows who I am, who cares. Somebody does though and my game of imagination and pseudo-realism is more real than I would like it to be. That's my problem though, but I don't think there's too much reason outside of my own dilemma to get too worked up about weighing every word that you say for fear of it crushing someone elses toes. That's a true reality of the world and just about everyone will eventually need to get used to that.

I do realize that long posts also destroy threads, but I really had a whole lot that I wanted to say. Sorry if it kills this thread, but all the bickering had me thinking. It's not like I put this monster of a post out here within the first 15 posts, so whatever was going to be said about this game has likely already been said.

You must mean the lob to the "big kid" who was so hurt during the game that he couldn't play the following night against the schools biggest basketball rival. Yeah, that's a good play. :rolleyes:

You must mean the lob to the "big kid" who was so hurt during the game that he couldn't play the following night against the schools biggest basketball rival. Yeah, that's a good play. :rolleyes:

Not gong to argue with you as it isn't worth the effort, but please just see post #10 by cshs81, and read what the Enquirer wrote the next day. I am sorry that the young man missed the next game against BB but he looked and played quite well after he came back into the game, and I am sure that if he were hurting badly, the NCC Coach wouldn't have let him back into the CovCath game.....

"Kiernan was injured in Friday's game as well. He missed just three minutes of the third quarter. He nearly posted a triple-double, finishing with 13 points, nine rebounds and seven assists. He also had a four-point scoring run that gave NewCath a 51-47 advantage midway in the fourth quarter".