Sayre 62 Fredrick Douglass 60 (OT)

• theguru changed the title to Sayre 62 Fredrick Douglass 60 (OT)
28 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

How does one get a 5 point play?

In high school I once made a four point play. I made a shot, the ref called a foul after the shot on the play. I had a 1 and 1 for the after the shot foul and made both.

My guess is something similar. A player made a 3 pointer then was fouled after the shot. Perhaps technical fouls called? Perhaps an off the ball foul called while a 3 pointer was in the air?

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

In high school I once made a four point play. I made a shot, the ref called a foul after the shot on the play. I had a 1 and 1 for the after the shot foul and made both.

My guess is something similar. A player made a 3 pointer then was fouled after the shot. Perhaps technical fouls called? Perhaps an off the ball foul called while a 3 pointer was in the air?

It was that.  Three was in the air, about 10 seconds left.  As it was in the air, Sayre player pretty much two hand shoved a Frederick Douglass player under the basket as they were jockeying for the rebound.  Foul called, three banked in, two free throws pending.  Hit them both.  It was basically the only good/right thing Frederick Douglass did after going up 8 points, because until then, it was a 15-2 run spanning the last minute of regulation into overtime.

Sayre was down 8 with a minute left.  Hit two free throws.  Forced a walk with pressure after the inbound.  Hit a three.  Called timeout.  On inbound, drew an offensive foul because the player extended his arm shoving the defender trying to get space.  Inbound comes in, immediate three to tie.  21 seconds passed and the entire lead was gone. Both teams turned it over without either getting up a game winning shot (FD committed a charge, while Sayre simply failed to get the shot up before the buzzer).  Overtime was pretty much all Sayre until that five point play, then Parker hit that floater as time ran out to win it.

You can see the whole game here:

Everything starts to go south for Frederick Douglass at the 1:55:15 mark.  Go to 2:18:00 to see the five point play start.  Game winner at 2:19:45.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was a good win by Sayre and they never gave up. One thing that has not been mentioned is that the Broncos were without their all-state leading scorer Armelo Boone for the game.

Also I would find it hard to believe that there is a tougher district in the state than the 42nd this year. It is a 5 team district with Bryan Station, Frederick Douglass, Henry Clay, Sayre, and Scott Co. The Cardinals are down some this year, but they have defeated Bryan Station this season.

8 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

That was a good win by Sayre and they never gave up. One thing that has not been mentioned is that the Broncos were without their all-state leading scorer Armelo Boone for the game.

Also I would find it hard to believe that there is a tougher district in the state than the 42nd this year. It is a 5 team district with Bryan Station, Frederick Douglass, Henry Clay, Sayre, and Scott Co. The Cardinals are down some this year, but they have defeated Bryan Station this season.

How often is Scott County the worst team in a district?