Mason Co. Hoops

1. 2003 and 2004. Chris Lofton, MC's only Mr. Basketball - 'nuff said. Mason County had no one that got significant minutes that stood over 6'2". but still almost always found a way to win. Grutza running the point, Wes Jones, Litzinger playing the pivot and giving up 3 to 6 inches against most everyone he played. Role players like Seth Vice and Casey Pfeffer hitting big shot after big shot.

Lots of folks think that because Mason County has become one of the state's premier basketball programs that they're a "big school". Mason County isn't that big, maybe has the 7th or 8th highest enrollment in the 10th Region. Ask any small town whose high school has won the KY Sweet 16 - there's practically nothing that galvanizes a community like it. Lifetime MC fans (like by wife, for instance, Class of 1973) were overcome with emotion; they had been so close in regional tournaments, state tournaments (1981) but had never won the big prize.

The 2004 state tourney showing may have been more impressive than 2003's championship; losing Jones to suspension, yet still getting by Trinity and Scott County in memorable games and making it to the championship game.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. I'll close by saying that this year's Royals are really fun to watch, and right now seem to have the heart of a champion.

1. 2003 and 2004. Chris Lofton, MC's only Mr. Basketball - 'nuff said. Mason County had no one that got significant minutes that stood over 6'2". but still almost always found a way to win. Grutza running the point, Wes Jones, Litzinger playing the pivot and giving up 3 to 6 inches against most everyone he played. Role players like Seth Vice and Casey Pfeffer hitting big shot after big shot.

Lots of folks think that because Mason County has become one of the state's premier basketball programs that they're a "big school". Mason County isn't that big, maybe has the 7th or 8th highest enrollment in the 10th Region. Ask any small town whose high school has won the KY Sweet 16 - there's practically nothing that galvanizes a community like it. Lifetime MC fans (like by wife, for instance, Class of 1973) were overcome with emotion; they had been so close in regional tournaments, state tournaments (1981) but had never won the big prize.

The 2004 state tourney showing may have been more impressive than 2003's championship; losing Jones to suspension, yet still getting by Trinity and Scott County in memorable games and making it to the championship game.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. I'll close by saying that this year's Royals are really fun to watch, and right now seem to have the heart of a champion.

Ive been watching Mason County basketball all my life and i have to agree now i really cant go back much further than the late 80s to really tell a lot but these 2 teams were special.And you couldn't be more right on the size of the school Mason County is NOT big school at all but most like to think they are.What they accomplish and the athletes they turn out for the size of the school is simply amazing.

Ditto Papa!!! Basketball is the lifeblood of small towns especially Mason countians even when we move away. Mason county never seems to grow the big players. I cant remember a plalyer taller that Darius playing in Mason county. The tradition is small and scrappy.The tradition is so strong that has evolved from the days of Fee, and Maysville Hi and of course St. Pats has a strong tradition as well.

Since I am limited to 30 years cant go back to the MHS and Fee glory days so will have to go with th 2004 team who showed such great heart. Looks to me that this and next year's team has the potential to place their mark on MC tradition. They for sure are fun to watch as they dont even consider retreating regardless of the score.