Danville Christian Academy 53 Somerset 39

Jumpers had a ton of good looks from 3, but couldn’t cash in.  Game was officiated to allow a ton of physicality on the perimeter as well.  Warriors zero foul trouble, and play aggressive grabbing-bumping M2M defense.  Hopefully the Jumpers can regroup, and get another shot down the line! 

I agree that they’re the clear favorite, but I don’t think the lack of postseason experience matters. There isn’t a ton of that experience on most of the top 6 teams.

Keep in mind DCA lost 2 key players from last year’s team. They did add an important piece in Fugate. BUT they look like a totally different team this year and I attribute that, at least in part, to the addition of Coach Conley to their staff. They are a much more disciplined and efficient team this year than last.

1 minute ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

I agree that they’re the clear favorite, but I don’t think the lack of postseason experience matters. There isn’t a ton of that experience on most of the top 6 teams.

Keep in mind DCA lost 2 key players from last year’s team. They did add an important piece in Fugate. BUT they look like a totally different team this year and I attribute that, at least in part, to the addition of Coach Conley to their staff. They are a much more disciplined and efficient team this year than last.

You very well could be right. But there’s something about that region tournament atmosphere that can make you get tight if you’ve not experienced that environment before! And the same can be said for Somerset. The group they are playing hasn’t been to the regional either unless I’m mistaken. 

24 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

You very well could be right. But there’s something about that region tournament atmosphere that can make you get tight if you’ve not experienced that environment before! And the same can be said for Somerset. The group they are playing hasn’t been to the regional either unless I’m mistaken. 

I agree with you, and different referees from different regions generally have an impact as well.  Jumpers have to make Jumpshots to win games, and unfortunately for them they didn’t go in tonight.  

22 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

Emmanuel Dut is so strong and athletic, Boyd and Fugate are solid. DCA got a nice team. When does the other 6'9 kid get eligible for DCA? 

He will be eligible a couple weeks before district play. The risk is it could cause chemistry issues that late in the season, but the upside of adding him is huge. He may be their most talented player, and he definitely adds to their depth, which is their biggest weakness.

So their front line will be 6’11” & 6’9” & 6’4”, and all are athletic. There’s a lot of size in the 12th this year, but nothing like that!

Tough night for the Briar Jumpers.  DCA stayed right on Somerset's shooters on the perimeter.  They weren't afraid to overplay on the shooters because the big kid inside erased or altered anything on drives into the lane.  On their first few possessions the Jumpers were able to pull Ayiei away from the rim and Grundy was able to knock down some shots to put Somerset in the lead.  It seemed like the Jumpers wanted to push the pace and get DCA to play the game faster than what they were used to.  But the Warriors hit 5 or 6 threes in the first half to foil that plan.  I'm not sure if Somerset would be better off trying to force pace next time, or keep turning the offense with 5 out until they get an open look.  In some ways that would be playing into DCA's hand. But I'm not sure if they hit that many three pointers next time.