Graves County Names New Head Coach, Tyler DeBernardi

Yes, same family, a Graves County family at that. 

From the circle I speak with about GC Football and high school football as a whole, is made up of Graves, Mayfield, and Paducah guys. All were in agreement that this is an excellent hire. It was an easy choice. Sometimes the easy choice is hard, glad the hiring committee didn’t over think it. He’s been Graves DC the last couple of years and the last couple of years that has been where the team has excelled. 

• Like 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Graves County Names New Head Coach, Tyler DeBernardi
3 hours ago, gcbleedblue said:

Yes, same family, a Graves County family at that. 

From the circle I speak with about GC Football and high school football as a whole, is made up of Graves, Mayfield, and Paducah guys. All were in agreement that this is an excellent hire. It was an easy choice. Sometimes the easy choice is hard, glad the hiring committee didn’t over think it. He’s been Graves DC the last couple of years and the last couple of years that has been where the team has excelled. 

I believe this was the good ole boy topic someone else touched on in the previous post.

24 minutes ago, wkyfootballfan said:

I believe this was the good ole boy topic someone else touched on in the previous post.

So just from what I read in the open job thread and this one, am I understanding correctly that some people in the area feel like Graves County made a good ole boy hire in this instance because they promoted someone (Coach DeBernardi) from the previous head coach's staff?

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

So just from what I read in the open job thread and this one, am I understanding correctly that some people in the area feel like Graves County made a good ole boy hire in this instance because they promoted someone (Coach DeBernardi) from the previous head coach's staff?

Not saying that its a bad hire.  Someone in last post (I can't remember who) said they expected someone from there.  Someone said Graves doesn't do that.  I was just pointing out that it was exactly what they did.  Could be a great hire, doesn't change its an alumni with family ties.  Have no issues with the hire; but just pointing out that one said they don't do that.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wkyfootballfan said:

I actually love the first time head coach hire myself @Colonels_Wear_Blue.  I love a first time coach and youngin getting their chance.  Just funny after that was said.

I didn't mean my post as any kind of finger-pointing or to question your opinion, in particular. But I'm totally with you...I think this was a good hire for Graves to make, and in all likelihood it was the right hire.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I didn't mean my post as any kind of finger-pointing or to question your opinion, in particular. But I'm totally with you...I think this was a good hire for Graves to make, and in all likelihood it was the right hire.

I get it 100%.  Just wanted to clear that up so anyone else knew I wasn't complaining.  I think Tyler can do great thing at Graves; I don't know how much further they can go with him, but I def. a fan of a new guy getting the job.  

• Like 1

I've noticed in a some of the media reports that it says that Coach DeBernardi has been an assistant at Graves for 12 years but I believe he has spent some time as an assistant coach at other schools like Paducah Tilghman and McCracken.  At least he has experience at some different schools other than just Graves County.  Might know how to some things differently to change things up a little.

• Like 1