9th Region Week 2 Rankings & Review

se7ens

Though there were a lot of good games featuring 9th region teams this week, there were only a few interesting contests between teams both from the 9th region. However, those games were good. None stood out more than Covington Catholic versus Newport, a matchup between the two hands-down best teams in the region (at least for now). 

I believe we can look at the region early on as distinctly segmented - 1 & 2 in a group of their own, 3 beside themselves at the moment, 4 through 7 as the other legitimate teams to make a run, 8 through 12, maybe 13, as the last group before you get to all the other schools competing in the 9th.

1. Covington Catholic - They came, they saw, they beat the Newport Wildcats on their home court. Their earlier game in the week was a blowout win over St. Henry. Brady Hussey, Caden Miller and Athens McGillis represent the three headed monster racking up the most offense for the Colonels and it was no different against Newport. Cash Harney, Luke Carroll and Nolan Ruthsatz round out the top contributors, at least this early in the season. They host St. Xavier of Ohio and NCC this week before facing La Lumiere of LaPorte, Indiana later in the week.

2. Newport - Sure, the Wildcats are no longer undefeated. But they have certainly opened the season impressively. Before falling to CovCath, Newport defeated Boone and Dixie. Taylen Kinney is up to 19 points per game and DeShaun Jackson is the other double digit scorer for the Wildcats at 13 points per game. They face Ryle and Huntington Expression Prep of West Virginia this week.

3. Cooper - We haven't seen the Jaguars at full strength yet and with Andy Johnson's hand injury, I don't know when we will. They defeated St. Xavier of Ohio but fell to Elder of Ohio earlier in the week. Yamil Rondon has played in all four games this year and has been impressive. Coach Sullivan will continue to work in the football guys but this team won't be the peak version of itself until Johnson returns.

4. Lloyd - The Juggernauts defeated Villa and Ryle on the road last week, averaging over 80 points as a team between the two games. EJ Walker had 21 against Villa and Isaiah Sebastian had 21 against Ryle. They face NCC and IMG Academy of Florida this week, the latter being the perfect setup for a lot of up and down basketball.

5. Ryle - The Raiders crushed Holmes before their undefeated record was blemished by losses to Lloyd and Central Hardin. Landon Lorms continues to lead the way with 16 points per game. They square off against the mighty Wildcats of Newport this week before playing rival Boone.

6. Boone County - The Rebels had just one game last week, a road loss to Newport by 13. There are no moral victories, but that kind of performance can be considered representative of a team that isn't a favorite to win the region but can certainly compete with anyone in the region on any given night. Mason Hall sits at 18.2 points per game. Boone plays Augusta and Ryle this week.

7. Highlands - The Birds split their week, defeating St. Henry but falling to St. Xavier of Louisville. Both games were on the road. They face Campbell County, Oldham County and Tates Creek this week as they do not play another 9th region team until January.

8. Dixie Heights - Dixie got a nice win over Conner behind Griffin Derry (22 points) and Hudson Blank (20 points) but could not hang around with Newport. The Wildcats held Dixie to just 24 points. Dixie has it much easier this week with games against Holmes and Bracken County.

9. Holy Cross - Nate Rominger scored 27 in the sole contest for Holy Cross, a win over Bishop Brossart. They face Roger Bacon of Ohio, Trinity Christian and East Carter this week.

10. Conner - The Cougars fell to Dixie Heights before participating in one of the best games of the week, a double overtime thriller that found them on the wrong side of a 81 to 76 score to Mariemont of Ohio in the John Turner Classic at Newport. Overall the John Turner Classic gave us a slew of great games, this one being chief among them. Landon Warner had 25 for Conner. They face Cooper on the road this week.

11. St. Henry - The Cru host Scott and Villa this week after a pair of losses to CovCath and Highlands.

12. Newport Central Catholic - NCC failed to compete with Scott, came back for a blowout win over Bracken County, and saw Caleb Eaglin finish with just one point as they lost to Campbell. No word yet if that is injury related. They face Lloyd, CovCath, and Ludlow all on the road this week, a tough prospect if they have to do it without Eaglin.

13. Beechwood - The Tigers split road games to the 37th district, falling to Scott in a blowout but bouncing back to take down Brossart. They host New Richmond this week.

14. Ludlow - The Panthers defeated Heritage and Calvary Christian. They hope to keep their conference record spotless as they host Bellevue and Villa. The finish the week off with another home game, that one against NCC. 

15. Bellevue - The Tigers opened the year with a pair of conference wins over Calvary Christian and Villa Madonna. Noah Frommeyer had 37 against Calvary. They face Ludlow and Anderson County this week.

16. Villa Madonna - The Vikings defeated Dayton before falling to Lloyd and Bellevue. They face Heritage, Ludlow and St. Henry on the road this week.

17. Dayton - The Greendevils fell to Villa but defeated Heritage. They face Calvary, Robertson County and Raceland this week.

18. Holmes - The Bulldogs have yet to find the win column, losing this past week to Williamstown and Ryle. They face Dixie Heights and Frankfort this week and their prospects at either of those games giving them a win are bleak.

19. Heritage - Heritage lost to Dayton and Ludlow on the road. They face Villa and Calvary this week.

20. Covington Latin - The Trojans defeated the Kentucky School for the Deaf 46 to 21. Matthew Bier had 14. They face St. Patrick on the road this week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I know its me just being nostalgic but seeing Holmes all the way down at #18 with only 2 schools below them just hurts my heart.  A lot of my youth fond memories are going to the packed Holmes gym where it was hotter than anything in the middle of the winter watching some epic battles between Holmes vs Highlands with Coach Shields on the Highlands sidelines......boy those were the days!!!!!  Miss those days.....

• Like 2

I will agree that the CCH-Newport game told me quite a bit early on.  Both teams will surely get better as the season goes on but one thing that was glarily obvious is that Newport struggled against the zone.  I am sure Coach Snapp will get that figured out.  Additonally, I did not notice a great deal of depth from the Wildcats.

The 9th will be very competitive without a doubt and while CCH and Newport are the top dogs, for now, EVERY team better be on their "A" game EVERY night as I do not see a clear dominant team at the moment.  It will be interesting how this all plays out come February.  It will also be interesting to see how Cooper looks come late January, early February with the football players fully acclimated, the return of Shaun Pouncy and Andy Johnson.  Really looking forward to see how Lloyd fares vs. IMG as well.

Whoever comes out of the 9th will surely be battle tested.  Great write up!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I know its me just being nostalgic but seeing Holmes all the way down at #18 with only 2 schools below them just hurts my heart.  A lot of my youth fond memories are going to the packed Holmes gym where it was hotter than anything in the middle of the winter watching some epic battles between Holmes vs Highlands with Coach Shields on the Highlands sidelines......boy those were the days!!!!!  Miss those days.....

Couldn't agree with you more.  Saw their highlights on the news from their game vs. Williamstown and it was sad to see the gym basically empty. I too miss those glory days when you had to get there during the freshman games just to get a seat in the gym. Truly unfortunate but will always wish them the best.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I truly believe those days will return. It's a cyclical thing and when it comes to urban schools like Holmes, Newport, to some extent Boone County, etc.., that cycle can be really exaggerated. You see some of that in Louisville as well (on the girls' side, Iroquois infamously went from 33-1 state champion to not being able to field a team for a bit). Holmes has had this a bit to - not as dramatically but there have been some losing seasons in between the epic success. Same thing has happened on the girls' side at Holmes - feast or famine.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

I will agree that the CCH-Newport game told me quite a bit early on.  Both teams will surely get better as the season goes on but one thing that was glarily obvious is that Newport struggled against the zone.  I am sure Coach Snapp will get that figured out.  Additonally, I did not notice a great deal of depth from the Wildcats.

The 9th will be very competitive without a doubt and while CCH and Newport are the top dogs, for now, EVERY team better be on their "A" game EVERY night as I do not see a clear dominant team at the moment.  It will be interesting how this all plays out come February.  It will also be interesting to see how Cooper looks come late January, early February with the football players fully acclimated, the return of Shaun Pouncy and Andy Johnson.  Really looking forward to see how Lloyd fares vs. IMG as well.

Whoever comes out of the 9th will surely be battle tested.  Great write up!!

This is the most true statement that will come out today. 

I know Lyon County, Great Crossing, & Lex. Cath. are all beyond legit possibilities to win state, but the 9th will send a dog of a team to shake things up in March at Rupp for sure.

Battle Tested for sure.  The 9th Region is going to be so much fun the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1