Rememberances from High School days past!!

What are your favorite memories from High School!!!

I remember in 1980 when Dave Faeth hit a layup at the buzzer and St. Henry won against Boone County. St. Henry was a sub .500 club that year and Boone Co. had won just about everything.

Also, St. Henry played the first game in the "new" gym at Simon Kenton after the explosion at SK. Of course, SK won that game and everything else that year.....

Just spoke to Coach Mullins from Ryle about that on Tuesday night.

My favorite memory as a kid watching Bellevue teams was in 1982 when the Tigers knocked off NCC in the Districts down at Newport. I was only 11 but remember it fondly. Jimmy Maher/Doug Schulte, Steve Crittendon, Doug Miller, Jeff schoulties, tommy Bosse, Greg Batsche, were just some of the names that stand out. NCC was loaded, I believe they had JimmyPangallo, Freppon, Theim, Hollingsworth,etc. Biggest win of CoachSwauger's career at the time and maybe all time.

Another is the Carlisle Co Vs. Bellevue All A Final in 1983. I beleive this was the year that Carlisle either went to the Sweet 16 finals or advanced pretty far. I think David Henley (current Holmes coach) was on that team, someone might be able to confirm that. They played at a packed house in Ludlow's gymnasium. It was a very low scoring game from what I remember. Doug Miller and Steve Crittendon were seniors that year for Bellevue and they were lighting it up. Bellevue lost by 2 pts I believe and it was deflating but a great atmosphere. Being a youngster at the time it just fueled the fire for wanting to play ball in high school.

Holy Family's wins over Ashland were, though few, very special. A search of history indicates that the first one was in the 1957 Greenbo Invitational Tournament (now the AIT) at the Ashland National Guard Armory. Holy Family, led by Bob Gilmore and Dan Stephenson, beat Ashland, led by Herb Conley and Dickie Fillmore, 48-37.

That particular Holy Family team also won the 64th District and eventually lost to Olive Hill in the 16th Region Tournament. At that time, the 64th District consisted of twelve schools- six from Boyd County and six from Greenup County. Holy Family defeated Booker T. Washington of Ashland for the title. BTW had beaten Ashland and HF had defeated Russell in the semi-finals. It was the only time in history, I believe, that Ashland was third best in the city.

My favorite memory as a kid watching Bellevue teams was in 1982 when the Tigers knocked off NCC in the Districts down at Newport. I was only 11 but remember it fondly. Jimmy Maher/Doug Schulte, Steve Crittendon, Doug Miller, Jeff schoulties, tommy Bosse, Greg Batsche, were just some of the names that stand out. NCC was loaded, I believe they had JimmyPangallo, Freppon, Theim, Hollingsworth,etc. Biggest win of CoachSwauger's career at the time and maybe all time.

Another is the Carlisle Co Vs. Bellevue All A Final in 1983. I beleive this was the year that Carlisle either went to the Sweet 16 finals or advanced pretty far. I think David Henley (current Holmes coach) was on that team, someone might be able to confirm that. They played at a packed house in Ludlow's gymnasium. It was a very low scoring game from what I remember. Doug Miller and Steve Crittendon were seniors that year for Bellevue and they were lighting it up. Bellevue lost by 2 pts I believe and it was deflating but a great atmosphere. Being a youngster at the time it just fueled the fire for wanting to play ball in high school.

I remember those NCC and Bellevue teams.

Conner-Boone games in the 70s were the best. I remember being at a game at Boone where the Conner side was almost full before the team even got off the bus. Rick Hicks, Tony Faehr, Ralph Parton (still a b-ball hero to me), Danny Haines, etc. As a kid who thought Conner Cougar ballers were IT, it is one of the great memories of my youth.

A memory that always stays with me is the regional tourney in about 1976 or so where NC played Holmes and a Holmes player got in a fight with an NC fan while the Holmes player was on the bench. I was sitting about 3 rows behind it. The floor was completely filled with fans and police.

As I got older, watching Dicky Beal was great.

My favorite memories were the classic matchups of what most people I know refer to as the 16th Region's "Big 3" matchups between Boyd County, Ashland and Greenup County in the 90's. Some heated matchups with great coaches like Roger Zornes, Wayne Breeden and Randy Ward matching wits it was truly a funtime to be a fan of 16th Region basketball. If memory serves me correctly in the coaches preseason poll in the Lexington Herald Leader for the 1999-2000 season these three teams were ranked in the Top 25, a feat we may never see again. I guess those were some good times we may never see again in the good ol' 16th.

My favorite memories were the classic matchups of what most people I know refer to as the 16th Region's "Big 3" matchups between Boyd County, Ashland and Greenup County in the 90's. Some heated matchups with great coaches like Roger Zornes, Wayne Breeden and Randy Ward matching wits it was truly a funtime to be a fan of 16th Region basketball. If memory serves me correctly in the coaches preseason poll in the Lexington Herald Leader for the 1999-2000 season these three teams were ranked in the Top 25, a feat we may never see again. I guess those were some good times we may never see again in the good ol' 16th.

It may be a long time for the "Big 3" to do that again. Although, Greenup Co. probably could have made it on the Top 25 list the previous 4 or 5 years if all Greenup Co. school district players stayed to play for Greenup Co. instead for others schools.

Having to get into the gym at CovCath, prior to, or at least by the end of the 1st quarter of the JV game before the Park Hills Fire Department would lock the doors, because of the number of fans in the stands. While the crazies of today are great, their numbers pale in comparison to my years at CovCath of students attending the Basketball games. Even the number of NDA, Villa, and LaSallete girls attending the CovCath games then, were so much larger than now. Literally at every game, only High School students were sitting in the wooden folding seat section, and if it were a game against Holmes, Cov Holy Cross or even Louisville Central, man you had better be inside that gym, even before the JV game started or risk not getting it....

I guess my other greatest remembrance were sitting on the bench during the Sweet Sixteen at Freedom Hall..... and the every first varsity football game that CovCath played at Holmes High School, which was our home field at the time..... Man, those really were the day's...

Yes, Greenup always has had problems keeping the whole team together. Imagine adding such players as Darrell Arbaugh (Ashland) and Troy Shelton (Raceland), both who were All-Area players and in Arbaugh's case an All-State player, who left folowing their freshman years at GC. If just these 2 players were on the '97 GCHS team that lost a heartbreaker to Fort Thomas Highlands in the Sweet Sixteen quarters, Coach Randy Ward may have found himself playing on Saturday night. Add in Cam Thoroughman (Portsmouth Clay, current (redshirting) freshman at West Virginia University) who is surely one of the best to lace them up on either side of the Ohio in many years. He could have changed the fortunes and direction of GCHS for sure. It is a shame that potential teams can't come together, but that's why parents and other adults in general ruin all the fun for kids.

Dropping 42 on Bellevue, Beating Bracken Co. at home in 96, hitting 7 3 pointers in the first half against St. Pat, Leading my team to its 1st winning season in 15 years, but one of my favorite and best memories is playing for legendary coach Don Irvine. Coach Irvine is currently the boys and girls head coach at Burgin High School.

Yes, Greenup always has had problems keeping the whole team together. Imagine adding such players as Darrell Arbaugh (Ashland) and Troy Shelton (Raceland), both who were All-Area players and in Arbaugh's case an All-State player, who left folowing their freshman years at GC. If just these 2 players were on the '97 GCHS team that lost a heartbreaker to Fort Thomas Highlands in the Sweet Sixteen quarters, Coach Randy Ward may have found himself playing on Saturday night. Add in Cam Thoroughman (Portsmouth Clay, current (redshirting) freshman at West Virginia University) who is surely one of the best to lace them up on either side of the Ohio in many years. He could have changed the fortunes and direction of GCHS for sure. It is a shame that potential teams can't come together, but that's why parents and other adults in general ruin all the fun for kids.

Jeff Large went to Ashland in the late 90's. Numerous of other players. Dakotah Euton could be considered a Greenup kid. Kent Robinson at Clay senior this year and other players that have went to Clay. Josh Campbell for South Webster played on the state title champion team last year. He is a senior this year. list goes on and on