Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rememberances from High School days past!!

Featured Replies

That was 1982, Walton won it in 1983. In response to the Bellevue vs Carlisle County game for the all "A" from qryche11's post above.

Having to get into the gym at CovCath, prior to, or at least by the end of the 1st quarter of the JV game before the Park Hills Fire Department would lock the doors, because of the number of fans in the stands. While the crazies of today are great, their numbers pale in comparison to my years at CovCath of students attending the Basketball games. Even the number of NDA, Villa, and LaSallete girls attending the CovCath games then, were so much larger than now. Literally at every game, only High School students were sitting in the wooden folding seat section, and if it were a game against Holmes, Cov Holy Cross or even Louisville Central, man you had better be inside that gym, even before the JV game started or risk not getting it....

 

I guess my other greatest remembrance were sitting on the bench during the Sweet Sixteen at Freedom Hall..... and the every first varsity football game that CovCath played at Holmes High School, which was our home field at the time..... Man, those really were the day's...

I can remember some getting in after the JV game started. It seems like they used a "window" of opportunity to enter!

In my middle school years and my early high school years a short time ago it was fun watching Neltner, Brock, and Doellman lace it up.

I think the highlight of my career happened the night of my father's layout. We were in pool play of the Famous Recipe playing Tollesboro that evening. Since I couldn't play they brought up another JV player to fill the 7th seat at the end of the bench. I left the layout and traveled the half mile to SK, when I walked down the hallway to the bench I saw 66 points had been scored by us, I figured it was late 3rd early 4th, to my amazement it wasn't even half yet. We ended up scoring 121 against Chris Harrison's team, beat them by 50 while setting a school record with 19 threes. It was like my father was guiding the ball to the hole. I actually would have gotten some PT that night, probably would have added to my HS total of 38 points but due the tragedy of my father's death a former player got to play in his first and only varsity game of his career, scoring and probably still remembers that night till this day.

I can remember some getting in after the JV game started. It seems like they used a "window" of opportunity to enter!

 

:sssh: :sssh: You weren't suppose to tell the young Crazies that some of their Dads/Uncles did something that....well they weren't suppose to. But yes it did happen, and more than once, but whoa.... be the student if Mr. Payne, or Brother Don caught you..... Of course, I never did anything like that......:D :lol:

Not a favorite memory, but one I've told my kids through the years and they never tire of hearing it (and forgive me for injecting a football story)...

 

I'm now old enough to say "back in the day"...and it was...32 years ago when coaches were of the mindset that kids should not drink during a practice. August two-a-days...in full pads...and the heat was stifling. We were so hot and thirsty that during the huddle, we would pass a towel around and each of us would wipe the sweat off of our face and neck. We would then pass the same towel around a second time...and take turns sucking the sweat out of the towel.

 

Hey, when you're thirsty...

The greatest memories I have are the HC/CCH games during the Colonels five year championship run from '67 to '71. They were always triple headers and you had to be in the gym before the JV game if you wanted a seat. The atmosphere beginning with the freshman game was always awesome! All three games would usually be hard fought down to the wire type games. When all was said and done, even the fans would be exhausted, especially at HC where it was probably close to 90 degrees inside.

Throughout the Colonels incredible run, only one ninth region team managed to defeat them each of those years- Holy Cross. Unfortunately, never in the post season.

I totally agree with "The Old Guy" when he says, "Man, those were the days"!

Being a PC grad, I would have to say that all of those great battles we had with Bracken back in the 80's. It didnt matter which team might have had more talent, it was always close, especially back in 84 when we were region runners-up and only beat them by 2. While the old gym in Brooksville was not my favorite gym, it was hard to beat that place in a district final. It was always packed and hotter than you could ever imagine.

My favorite memories were the classic matchups of what most people I know refer to as the 16th Region's "Big 3" matchups between Boyd County, Ashland and Greenup County in the 90's. Some heated matchups with great coaches like Roger Zornes, Wayne Breeden and Randy Ward matching wits it was truly a funtime to be a fan of 16th Region basketball. If memory serves me correctly in the coaches preseason poll in the Lexington Herald Leader for the 1999-2000 season these three teams were ranked in the Top 25, a feat we may never see again. I guess those were some good times we may never see again in the good ol' 16th.

 

 

I too, watched these classic games, and I often wondered what would have happened if Coach Roger Zornes of Boyd County would have picked one of the hundreds of Twinkies that was thrown at him during the announcements of players and coaches and began eating one, that would have been great!!!

Holy Family's wins over Ashland were, though few, very special. A search of history indicates that the first one was in the 1957 Greenbo Invitational Tournament (now the AIT) at the Ashland National Guard Armory. Holy Family, led by Bob Gilmore and Dan Stephenson, beat Ashland, led by Herb Conley and Dickie Fillmore, 48-37.

 

That particular Holy Family team also won the 64th District and eventually lost to Olive Hill in the 16th Region Tournament. At that time, the 64th District consisted of twelve schools- six from Boyd County and six from Greenup County. Holy Family defeated Booker T. Washington of Ashland for the title. BTW had beaten Ashland and HF had defeated Russell in the semi-finals. It was the only time in history, I believe, that Ashland was third best in the city.

I assume by your post that before playing for Paul Blazer, that a Jim Harkins Holy Family team never beat Blazer?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.