Northwestern Hazing Scandal

Jumper_Dad

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ex-northwestern-players-claim-hazing-involved-sexualized-acts-after-school-suspends-coach-pat-fitzgerald/

Northwestern football coach Pat Fitzgerald was issued an unpaid two-week suspension, effective Friday, following an investigation into hazing allegations within the program. The investigation, led by former Illinois inspector general Maggie Hickey, found "evidence to corroborate claims made by an anonymous whistleblower regarding hazing activities and events."

After the school newspaper put a story detailing what players report was going on, the University President said that he will look into this further. Players claim that sexual assault and physical abuse was done to players that made mistakes, especially freshmen. Upperclassmen would clap their hands over the head of a player that was to receive punishment later. Allegations now coming out are that Coach Fitzgerald would also "mark" players for hazing by clapping his hands over them when they made mistakes. 

If and it's a big if, but if these latest allegations prove true can the coach survive?

Details from the student newspaper cast this in a very unflattering light for the Team, Coach and University. 

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/07/08/top-stories/former-nu-football-player-details-hazing-allegations-after-coach-suspension/

“I’ve seen it with my own eyes, and it’s just absolutely egregious and vile and inhumane behavior,” the player, who asked to remain anonymous in this story, said. 

The former player said he reported his experiences to the University in late November 2022. He alleges that much of the team’s hazing centered around a practice dubbed “running,” which was used to punish team members, primarily freshman, for mistakes made on the field and in practice. 

If a player was selected for “running,” the player who spoke to The Daily said, they would be restrained by a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various “Purge-like” masks, who would then..."

39 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Once again, nothing proven with the head coach, let’s just crucify all coaches that someone or somebody points a finger at, unbelievable.

So the school suspended him for no reason? I don't know the real facts anymore than you do, but the school saw fit to punish him after their initial investigation. (Even if it was a weak meaningless suspension while all football activities are basically shut down)

Now that more info has been reported the school is reopening the investigation. Should they NOT look into these allegations?

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

So the school suspended him for no reason? I don't know the real facts anymore than you do, but the school saw fit to punish him after their initial investigation. (Even if it was a weak meaningless suspension while all football activities are basically shut down)

Now that more info has been reported the school is reopening the investigation. Should they NOT look into these allegations?

Head Coaches always get the blame for everything that exists within the program and actually have no reigns on 90% of off field activities and what players do after they leave the practice field, court, or venue, very unfair to expect the head coach to be a full time parent to young athletes.

This has been fascinating to follow. More and more players are coming out stating this is not true and that the whistleblower has been on record saying something close to ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to get Coach Fitz fired”.

NW needs to publish the report- redacted if they must- or they are going to be on the end of a firestorm of unhappy people, as it’s always begun. 

I believe the rush to judgement here has been overwhelming, and believe the truth will ultimately prevail. Sucks for everyone involved, regardless of how you look at it. 

1 hour ago, nikeman49 said:

Head Coaches always get the blame for everything that exists within the program and actually have no reigns on 90% of off field activities and what players do after they leave the practice field, court, or venue, very unfair to expect the head coach to be a full time parent to young athletes.

Completely agree to this point. Accusations are that the coach not only knew but was complicit in the hazing...that is a completely different situation, if true.

I wonder if his 1-11 (losing record 3 out of last 4 years) record last season was considered during the decision making process? 🤔 

Gives the University an out and probably saves them money by firing him for "cause" rather than performance.  No buyout if fired for cause.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...