Rose Hill 50 Woodford County 49

Queen: 17 pts, 4/8 (includes 1/2 3ptrs), 8/8 free throws, 8 rebs

Terry: 5 pts, 2/6 (includes 1/4 3ptrs), 7 rebs

Faulkner: 10 pts, 5/13 (includes 0/1 3ptrs), 2 rebs

Dundon: 2 pts, 1/5 (includes 0/1 3ptrs), 2 rebs

Hammonds: 4 pts, 2/4, 1 reb

Gambill: 12 pts, 4/6 (all shots were 3ptrs)

Queen went to the bench late in the 1st quarter with 2 fouls and did not return to the game until the 1:41 remaining in the 3rd quarter. Her game winning jumper came with 8 seconds left in the ballgame.

Kaylyn Gambill grew up this evening, as the 6th grader hit 4 critical 3pt shots. Congratulations, Kaylyn on a great performance. Mom and Dad must be very proud.

Queen: 17 pts, 4/8 (includes 1/2 3ptrs), 8/8 free throws, 8 rebs

Terry: 5 pts, 2/6 (includes 1/4 3ptrs), 7 rebs

Faulkner: 10 pts, 5/13 (includes 0/1 3ptrs), 2 rebs

Dundon: 2 pts, 1/5 (includes 0/1 3ptrs), 2 rebs

Hammonds: 4 pts, 2/4, 1 reb

Gambill: 12 pts, 4/6 (all shots were 3ptrs)

Queen went to the bench late in the 1st quarter with 2 fouls and did not return to the game until the 1:41 remaining in the 3rd quarter. Her game winning jumper came with 8 seconds left in the ballgame.

Kaylyn Gambill grew up this evening, as the 6th grader hit 4 critical 3pt shots. Congratulations, Kaylyn on a great performance. Mom and Dad must be very proud.

Was Terry in foul trouble too?

Quite unusual for her to take only 6 shots and not be in foul trouble. Were they double teaming her?

Of course they were. With Queen in foul trouble, it made it easy to key on Terry. She responded by dumping the ball off, rather than take high risk shots. Showed some selfless play, IMO.

Random thoughts...

Not sure it was a "great" win, but nice to win such an ugly game. By ugly I mean:

...when the defense was allowed to body up the ballhandler, push and pull under the basket (you know how it is...establish it early and the refs just let it go on...smaller players are given great leeway against a taller opponent, but not the reverse) and, as a result, fans on both sides were calling for more whistles and players were frustrated.

...Rose Hill was again uninspired, whether the result of the previous night's effort against LexCath or just not taking WC seriously.

...Rose Hill's starters were benched to begin the second half (Queen and Faulkner had already sat out the 2nd quarter, each with 2 fouls) and did not return until 1:41 of the 3rd quarter.

Tremendous effort on the part of the young reserve players in the 3rd quarter. Kaylyn Gambill's 12 points kept the Lady Royals in the game and made it possible to win at the end. That 3rd quarter may prove beneficial during the rest of the season, the 6th, 7th and 8th graders having gained some confidence.

Credit the WC defense for keeping the RHCS offense off balance throughout the night. RHCS, in my view, once again failed to take advantage of opportunities on the inside. Whether by design or failure to execute what was called, but I can recall only two feeds to the post.

Raceland coaches were spotted in the stands. Glad to have the extra fan base make the trip with the Lady Royal faithful.;)

Random thoughts...

Not sure it was a "great" win, but nice to win such an ugly game. By ugly I mean:

...when the defense was allowed to body up the ballhandler, push and pull under the basket (you know how it is...establish it early and the refs just let it go on...smaller players are given great leeway against a taller opponent, but not the reverse) and, as a result, fans on both sides were calling for more whistles and players were frustrated.

...Rose Hill was again uninspired, whether the result of the previous night's effort against LexCath or just not taking WC seriously.

...Rose Hill's starters were benched to begin the second half (Queen and Faulkner had already sat out the 2nd quarter, each with 2 fouls) and did not return until 1:41 of the 3rd quarter.

Tremendous effort on the part of the young reserve players in the 3rd quarter. Kaylyn Gambill's 12 points kept the Lady Royals in the game and made it possible to win at the end. That 3rd quarter may prove beneficial during the rest of the season, the 6th, 7th and 8th graders having gained some confidence.

Credit the WC defense for keeping the RHCS offense off balance throughout the night. RHCS, in my view, once again failed to take advantage of opportunities on the inside. Whether by design or failure to execute what was called, but I can recall only two feeds to the post.

Raceland coaches were spotted in the stands. Glad to have the extra fan base make the trip with the Lady Royal faithful.;)

Be careful, Himmelfarb. I was ripped earlier this season for being too critical of the officials.

Dont know much about Woodford County. What was their record ? Any common opponents?

I saw Woodford County play a Highlands team comprised of mainly freshman and sophmores and lose by 19. For Rose Hill to come out of there with only a 1 point win doesn't look good for them at all.

I saw Woodford County play a Highlands team comprised of mainly freshman and sophmores and lose by 19. For Rose Hill to come out of there with only a 1 point win doesn't look good for them at all.

One must know all the facts that filter into a game situation before assuming RH is in a slump. I dare say that there is not another team in the 16th Region that would have put up the fight against LC that RH did last Friday night. The truth of the matter is this, that there are no teams with that much of a bench in the 16th Region. Let's see how Raceland or Russell would do with their 3 big stars out of the game. RH probably should not have even played that game, considering the night before they played the best in the state. But having said all of that, you are right, a one point win is not very impressive after the way they played LC

First of all, I want to say that I support all 16th region teams when they play outside the region. However, I think that there is a middle ground between the comments of bjim and GottaRebound.

bjim is being fairly harsh by downplaying a win when played in another region. Additionally Rose Hill's bench actually seems to be contributing some offensively with Dundun and now Gamble. IMO Rose Hill is playing much better and with more team-wide chemistry than at the beginning of the season. They will definitely be one of the teams to beat come tounament time.

However, I don't agree with GottaRebound when he says that no other 16th region team could have competed with Lex Cath. I have no doubt that Russell could have competed as well or better than RH. RH's foul trouble and having to rely on the bench is just part of the game. Whose to say that Russell or any other team may have played more disciplined and stayed out of foul trouble. And why shouldn't Rose Hill have played the game? If they have any State Tourney aspirations they better get used to the grind.