Male 100 Covington Catholic 89 (2OT) (WGMO Classic)

🟣 Final at Richmond, via WBON and the update thread.

Excellent game by the Bulldogs.

I'm not sure the Colonels have seen that much skill, athleticism, speed, and intensity all in one package this season. Male may be jelling at just the right time - wins on successive weekends over Ballard and Cov Cath.

Congratulations High!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Any stats? CovCath with a lot of silly turnovers, but the Bulldog defense certainly had something to do with that.

No stats. 2OT and the game announcer was prepping for the Reed Sheppard show by halftime. Agree on the turnovers; a lot of unforced errors. Male hustled and shot the lights out. Respect.

Plus side - Max Lawrie did get the guy to pronounce "IP-sar-o" correctly. Now, if we could just get Dan ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve said a number of times on here what a great job Haworth has done. Amazing!  Coaches like Haworth, game plan on how to maximize their talent in order to win- while coaches like Szabo game plan around how to create a system where your players won’t lose the game. Been very telling the back half of this year…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hoopstars said:

I’ve said a number of times on here what a great job Haworth has done. Amazing!  Coaches like Haworth, game plan on how to maximize their talent in order to win- while coaches like Szabo game plan around how to create a system where your players won’t lose the game. Been very telling the back half of this year…

Haworth never worked any magic while at Hoptown, didn't appear to work any magic last year while coaching a very talented Male team.  Could coach Edelen joining the staff this year have anything to do with the turn around?

11 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Haworth never worked any magic while at Hoptown, didn't appear to work any magic last year while coaching a very talented Male team.  Could coach Edelen joining the staff this year have anything to do with the turn around?

Don’t know his history. I know last year they went 28-6 playing a brutal schedule, won a loaded Region and then lost a super tight game to a really good Warren Central team.  Not sure they needed a “turn aroind”but maybe Edelen has helped this year.  Not sure. This year they have played another brutal schedule and continuously improved. Like his demeanor and how free his kids play. 

1 minute ago, Hoopstars said:

Don’t know his history. I know last year they went 28-6 playing a brutal schedule, won a loaded Region and then lost a super tight game to a really good Warren Central team.  Not sure they needed a “turn aroind”but maybe Edelen has helped this year.  Not sure. This year they have played another brutal schedule and continuously improved. Like his demeanor and how free his kids play. 

My memory is failing me, but the best I recall they gave the game to Warren Central.

36 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

My memory is failing me, but the best I recall they gave the game to Warren Central.

The only place to make that argument was Edelen shooting a three with a one point lead and 40 seconds left in overtime. It was most definitely not what they wanted him to do, and it gave Warren Central the ball with a chance to take the lead (which they did). I’m not sure where else that argument would apply. If Warren Central had hit their free throws in regulation they’d have never had that chance to give it away. And Edelen’s ill advised shot also followed two missed free throws that would have also given Warren Central the lead. Male got on Warren Central early, but Central closed that gap rather quick and most of the game lead lead swung between 6 in Male’s favor and 4 in Warren Central’s. 

23 hours ago, DragonFire said:

The only place to make that argument was Edelen shooting a three with a one point lead and 40 seconds left in overtime. It was most definitely not what they wanted him to do, and it gave Warren Central the ball with a chance to take the lead (which they did). I’m not sure where else that argument would apply. If Warren Central had hit their free throws in regulation they’d have never had that chance to give it away. And Edelen’s ill advised shot also followed two missed free throws that would have also given Warren Central the lead. Male got on Warren Central early, but Central closed that gap rather quick and most of the game lead lead swung between 6 in Male’s favor and 4 in Warren Central’s. 

Good back and forth there, fellas. Thanks.