Holmes Turmoil....again

i think part off the problem is the leadership at Holmes High Kids will make stupid decisions in life and on the court but its a reflection of how they are being taught...I think its time for some changes there with the coaching staff its long overdue for that....Tim Sullivan needs to have the varstiy job for the basketball team,,,many may argue that the coaches are not the ones that make these decisions but when your a coach you are also a friend, Mentor and a father and it is a coaches job to keep things under control and it seems to a problem and its time for a change,,,,Wheather its Tim sullivan or they go out side with Brad Carr....

Wrong! Coaches are not fathers and friends. They are coaches. It's when they start trying to be fathers and friends that the line of respect gets blurred and crap like this starts happening. Coaches can be father-like figures, but they are not a replacement for a father in the home, teaching, disciplining and praising his son.

-CardinalsFan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently Holmes has been in the news as found in the Enquirer article "Auditors Rip Homes High". The full article is at http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061215/NEWS0102/612150398/-1/all

Here is the opening statement:

Many students sleep in class. Teachers rely mainly on textbooks. Homework is rare. And cultural gaps between students and staff lead to unnecessary conflict.

Those were among the criticisms in a state audit of Holmes Junior and Senior High School. Triggered by several years of low test scores, the audit found enough problems that Holmes' school-based council is likely to be stripped of its authority.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=109413

Wrong! Coaches are not fathers and friends. They are coaches. It's when they start trying to be fathers and friends that the line of respect gets blurred and crap like this starts happening. Coaches can be father-like figures, but they are not a replacement for a father in the home, teaching, disciplining and praising his son.

-CardinalsFan

If you knew some of the situations dealt with by some of the players you would know what LATCH says is the truth.

If you knew some of the situations dealt with by some of the players you would know what LATCH says is the truth.

I would LOVE to know what some of those situations are so that we could all have a meaningful, adult discussion on them but unfortunately, I fear that wouldn't be allowed on these boards.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please drop me a PM and share with me what you know. I have great respect for those that try and rise above the mess that can result in situations like this and I would like to know who I should be praying for, specifically.

Thank you,

-CardinalsFan

I know these are kids we are talking about but drastic times calls for drastic measures. Harsher discipline is needed in some cases not just to straighten the guilty out but those around them and those who follow. Letting kids off easy time and time again will do no good. The AD at Holmes needs to get control over this program before it hits bottom. These kids and for that matter any kids at any school need to fear getting in to trouble alot more than they do. Holmes really needs to set an example of what they are not going to tolerate anymore. Letting the current varsity players and the ones to come ( JV, Freshman and Junior High ) know that these types of things will not happen if you want to be a student athlete at this school.

I agree firmly. Yet, another black eye for Holmes. Here is a link to todays article in the Enquirer.

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070112/SPT0302/701120431

Holmes coach David Henley and athletic director Ron Madrick confirmed Thursday, the eve of today's district matchup with city rival Holy Cross, that six players had been suspended for a "violation of team rules."

The suspensions will last five games or more.

Although neither the coach nor AD would name the players, Madrick said four of them have started at one time.

I have firsthand knowledge of what some of the trials and tribulations are of not specific kids on the team but kids in general who attend Holmes High School. Just because you play basketball and have an outlet doesnt mean you are immune to the daily problems that are quite evident in that school/neighborhood.

Its sad, there are kids who are homeles, living with friends' families and these are good kids. Some are outstanding athletes who could be helping the Bulldogs be even better than they have been but the parents don't care about them.

I think Coach Henley and the administration are doing the right thing by teaching these kids right and wrong. Its tough love, very similar to Coach Carter and I know that was a movie and some consider that unrealistic. However, you look at the things those kids go through and I can almost bet the boys at Holmes see very similar things in their lives.

I just hope they can stay on the straight edge and graduate and become role models in society whether it be as players,coaches or simply a 9 to 5 worker.