1st call for Snow (12/22-23/22)

nWo

21 minutes ago, theguru said:

The only way to combat that is to take the risk and salt early. 

The problem with that, the salt is not effective below a certain temperature. Once wind chills get below zero (and certainly 20 to 30 below), the salt won't do anything. 

9 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

The problem with that, the salt is not effective below a certain temperature. Once wind chills get below zero (and certainly 20 to 30 below), the salt won't do anything. 

Chemicals can be added to the salt to make it work at even lower temperatures but either way being proactive beats being reactive. 

16 minutes ago, theguru said:

Chemicals can be added to the salt to make it work at even lower temperatures but either way being proactive beats being reactive. 

I’m not sure how low those work, but the pretreatment could get washed away by the rain if it is heavy enough. I couldn’t see where any ore treatment had taken place yesterday or this morning when I was out and about. Either way, I won’t have any trouble because I’m staying home. 

3 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I’m not sure how low those work, but the pretreatment could get washed away by the rain if it is heavy enough. I couldn’t see where any ore treatment had taken place yesterday or this morning when I was out and about. Either way, I won’t have any trouble because I’m staying home. 

Timing is everything!

23 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Marc Weinberg from WDRB in Louisville (the only guy I'll watch) has 2-4" for pretty much all of Kentucky west of I-75. I'll go with that. 

Weinberg has adjusted his snow totals a bit. Along and north of 64, as far east as 65 (so mainly southern Indiana and Louisville) is in a 3-6" range. Everywhere else is still 2-4".