BluegrassPreps.com Class 5A Football Rankings (9/19)

TheDeuce

23 hours ago, PurplesFan said:

If I am not mistaken, the loser of the BG / South Warren game in 2 weeks will probably be traveling to RASH stadium for week 2 of playoffs.  Owensboro may be in the way for both Purples and Spartans of playing in week 3.  Simply put, who wants to travel to play O and RASH? No one will be signing that sign up sheet.

I'd guess there's a pretty strong chance Bowling Green and South Warren won't see each other in round 3 even if they both advance to that round.  Right now, Fairdale (.645) and Owensboro (.559) are the only teams with higher RPI than South Warren (.558) in Districts 1-4, with both Bowling Green (.681) and Greenwood (.647) having more than any other team in those districts.  Since one of those two will have to go through Owenboro in Round 2, that would take Owensboro off the board, and in this scenario Graves County would be gone as well - currently the #7 team in Districts 1-4. In all likelihood, the only way Bowling Green and South Warren play in round 3 is if someone in District 3 & 4 advances to that round with a higher RPI than both.  South Oldham managed to finish higher in 2019 than both teams, and finished higher than Bowling Green in 2018 and 2021.  So there's precedent for a team from those districts to get higher than both but it isn't common.  It hasn't happened so far that two teams from those districts got above one of the two teams to where it would force them into a 1 v 4 RPI scenario either, and given that Fairdale is probably the only team in those districts that would be competitive with the high numbers this year, I'd guess this isn't a year where a 1 v 4 RPI scenario would be likely either.  My guess is that if those two teams end up playing, it'll be in the state semifinals, if not the finals if they were lucky enough to advance that far and not play sooner. 

As it stands today by RPI (and discounting Greenwood as the team that would advance and using South Warren instead because... come on), Bowling Green would be hosting Seneca in the third round while South Warren visited Fairdale.  Then South Warren would go to Frederick Douglass while Bowling Green would travel to Covington Catholic.

• Thanks 1

Also worth noting as far as postseason goes, Bowling Green is 3-2 at Rash Stadium, winning there in 1993 (avenging a 2OT loss earlier that year at Rash), 2007, and 2015 - the latter two they didn't play in regular season and Bowling Green won by 22 and 29 points.  Owensboro won in 2000 (by 28 after squeaking by at home in 2OT again earlier that year) and in 2018 (by 7 after losing by 9 at home to BG earlier that year).  That 2018 loss is the only time Bowling Green has lost at Owensboro since 2000. 

South Warren has never played at Rash at all, let alone in the postseason.  Their only meeting with Owensboro came in 2018 when they dragged the Red Devils by 37 - that may well be the best team South Warren has fielded thus far.

I'm sure neither necessarily wants to go to Rash, but nor do I think either is sweating it.

8 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I'd guess there's a pretty strong chance Bowling Green and South Warren won't see each other in round 3 even if they both advance to that round.  Right now, Fairdale (.645) and Owensboro (.559) are the only teams with higher RPI than South Warren (.558) in Districts 1-4, with both Bowling Green (.681) and Greenwood (.647) having more than any other team in those districts.  Since one of those two will have to go through Owenboro in Round 2, that would take Owensboro off the board, and in this scenario Graves County would be gone as well - currently the #7 team in Districts 1-4. In all likelihood, the only way Bowling Green and South Warren play in round 3 is if someone in District 3 & 4 advances to that round with a higher RPI than both.  South Oldham managed to finish higher in 2019 than both teams, and finished higher than Bowling Green in 2018 and 2021.  So there's precedent for a team from those districts to get higher than both but it isn't common.  It hasn't happened so far that two teams from those districts got above one of the two teams to where it would force them into a 1 v 4 RPI scenario either, and given that Fairdale is probably the only team in those districts that would be competitive with the high numbers this year, I'd guess this isn't a year where a 1 v 4 RPI scenario would be likely either.  My guess is that if those two teams end up playing, it'll be in the state semifinals, if not the finals if they were lucky enough to advance that far and not play sooner. 

As it stands today by RPI (and discounting Greenwood as the team that would advance and using South Warren instead because... come on), Bowling Green would be hosting Seneca in the third round while South Warren visited Fairdale.  Then South Warren would go to Frederick Douglass while Bowling Green would travel to Covington Catholic.

3rd round still keeps the west / east format, Douglass/Wofo/CovCath wouldn't play any District 1 or 2 teams til 4th round.

13 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Also worth noting as far as postseason goes, Bowling Green is 3-2 at Rash Stadium, winning there in 1993 (avenging a 2OT loss earlier that year at Rash), 2007, and 2015 - the latter two they didn't play in regular season and Bowling Green won by 22 and 29 points.  Owensboro won in 2000 (by 28 after squeaking by at home in 2OT again earlier that year) and in 2018 (by 7 after losing by 9 at home to BG earlier that year).  That 2018 loss is the only time Bowling Green has lost at Owensboro since 2000. 

South Warren has never played at Rash at all, let alone in the postseason.  Their only meeting with Owensboro came in 2018 when they dragged the Red Devils by 37 - that may well be the best team South Warren has fielded thus far.

I'm sure neither necessarily wants to go to Rash, but nor do I think either is sweating it.

One of those schools has played Owensboro on a fairly regular basis during the regular season both home and away.

The other school has never played Owensboro during the regular season, nor would I expect them to even try. 

5 hours ago, Purple88 said:

It's a great atmosphere, but Anyone is more likely to win at home vs Graves or Greenwood as opposed to going on the road and winning at Rash is the point.

I know, it was only fun because our team won.  It is quite the atmosphere.

• Like 1