BluegrassPreps.com Class 5A Football Rankings (9/19)

TheDeuce

4 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Woodford beats BG and CovCath, as does SouthWestern IMO. If SW has home field, they might win by two scores.

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly do you feel this way? Boyle and BG was uber competitive and Southwestern/Woodford don't hold a candle stick to the Rebels. Covington Catholic has the most quality win of the bunch. Looking at both SW and Woodford schedules it looks like a whole lotta cupcake city to me.

Not saying you're wrong. Just want some elaboration on your opinion.

53 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Woodford beats BG and CovCath, as does SouthWestern IMO. If SW has home field, they might win by two scores.

Every team Cov Cath has beaten is better than the best win Woodford has, with the possible exception of Dixie vs. Franklin County. Huge advantage to Cov Cath on strength of schedule over Woodford and Southwestern. 

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Every team Cov Cath has beaten is better than the best win Woodford has, with the possible exception of Dixie vs. Franklin County. Huge advantage to Cov Cath on strength of schedule over Woodford and Southwestern. 

Well said, and I'm of the opinion that the performance Bowling Green put together against Boyle is just as solid of a indicator than any performances listed by those two teams.

2 hours ago, BillNye said:

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly do you feel this way? Boyle and BG was uber competitive and Southwestern/Woodford don't hold a candle stick to the Rebels. Covington Catholic has the most quality win of the bunch. Looking at both SW and Woodford schedules it looks like a whole lotta cupcake city to me.

Not saying you're wrong. Just want some elaboration on your opinion.

Well these teams would only play in the playoffs obviously, and I like both SW and WoFos recent playoff history compared to BG and CovCath. CovCath doesn't have a Michael Mayer caliber kid to rely on. BG certainly played well against Boyle but I definitely think SW is better than them in the playoffs. And again, especially if Southwestern has home field! 

And cupcake schedule notwithstanding,  I just think Wofo's offense is better than CovCaths defense. BG would be a tougher game for WoFo.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Well these teams would only play in the playoffs obviously, and I like both SW and WoFos recent playoff history compared to BG and CovCath. CovCath doesn't have a Michael Mayer caliber kid to rely on. BG certainly played well against Boyle but I definitely think SW is better than them in the playoffs. And again, especially if Southwestern has home field! 

And cupcake schedule notwithstanding,  I just think Wofo's offense is better than CovCaths defense. BG would be a tougher game for WoFo.

Recent playoff history as in literally just last year? Bowling Green is two years removed from a state title. And they were actually in that game with South Warren, leading 3-0 until the final play of the first half and down 14-3 going into the 4th Quarter. Woodford County was down six seconds into the game and running clocked by the middle of the second quarter. I don’t know that they had a better postseason, they just had the privilege of not playing South until later. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Recent playoff history as in literally just last year? Bowling Green is two years removed from a state title. And they were actually in that game with South Warren, leading 3-0 until the final play of the first half and down 14-3 going into the 4th Quarter. Woodford County was down six seconds into the game and running clocked by the middle of the second quarter. I don’t know that they had a better postseason, they just had the privilege of not playing South until later. 

BG and South generally play twice a year. Familiarity matters, as opposed to playing someone you've never played before. Strategies are different when you know your opponent well. 

14 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

BG and South generally play twice a year. Familiarity matters, as opposed to playing someone you've never played before. Strategies are different when you know your opponent well. 

Sure, just saying, that’s a really, really big difference in those results that goes a bit further than familiarity. 

That was really the tack on to my point anyway. You said recent playoff history, and it can only mean literally the previous year if you’re taking either of those teams over Bowling Green, a team that was state champion two years ago and just so happened to be in the same district as the state champ last year, so forced to play them in the second round.   That just felt like barely an argument to me. I HIGHLY doubt that either Woodford County or Southwestern would have advanced any further than Bowling Green did playing the same playoff schedule. 

I would guess that a game between either of those two and Bowling Green this year would be a toss up though. They’ve both got good teams. I just wouldn’t rely on last years playoffs as an argument for why either would beat Bowling Green. 

If I am not mistaken, the loser of the BG / South Warren game in 2 weeks will probably be traveling to RASH stadium for week 2 of playoffs.  Owensboro may be in the way for both Purples and Spartans of playing in week 3.  Simply put, who wants to travel to play O and RASH? No one will be signing that sign up sheet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PurplesFan said:

If I am not mistaken, the loser of the BG / South Warren game in 2 weeks will probably be traveling to RASH stadium for week 2 of playoffs.  Owensboro may be in the way for both Purples and Spartans of playing in week 3.  Simply put, who wants to travel to play O and RASH? No one will be signing that sign up sheet.

Yep.  A lot on the line that Friday night. 

8 hours ago, PurplesFan said:

Really? I thought the Bowling Green teams sister district is the Louisville district that Fairdale is in?

8 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Really? I thought the Bowling Green teams sister district is the Louisville district that Fairdale is in?

No Sir.  BG and South are in District 2.  Their sister district has always been District 1 (Owensboro, Graves County).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, PurplesFan said:

I thought playing there was quite fun.