Nicholas Co. 64 Augusta 53

Dustin Staggs 12, Chris Mofford 11, Matt Groves 9, J.White 8, B. Hamilton 8, S. White 3, J. Hardymon 2

Augusta would trail after one 16-7 to come back in the second and outscore N. Co 26-7. Up by 10 after the break N.Co would cut the lead to 5 after 3. The fourth N.Co scores 28 to Augusta's 13 and pullls away at the end. Big game for #50 of N. Co. with 23 points.

JV game won by Augusta 53-33

Ty Krebs led with 12 (all in 1st quarter), J. Gray 10. S. White 9, C. Mofford 9, B. Hamilton 6, M. Saunders 4, R Kelsch 3. Nicholas never gave up and played hard, Most JV starters sat this game for Augusta. They tried the 2nd half to get Mofford to dunk, Did not work out, keep trying.

Game was closer than the score would indicate as Nicholas Co. free throws in the final minutes inflated the final score. The Panthers missed a ton of free thows and shots in the paint. They simply did not have an answer for #50 on the glass and from 15ft in. The only quarter the Panthers won was the 2nd when #50 was on the bench with two fouls. Mofford had a coming out game for Augusta. Career High in pts. also had quite a few blocks and rebounds. Still needs to work on his decision making, and needs to work on his hands and quickness with the basketball. Staggs the only consistent panther as of late leading in scoring once again. Josh White had a solid game but would the real Jeremy Hardymon please stand up? 8 pts in the last two games including only 2 tonight. Completely non existant as of late, but when your shot isn't falling you still have to keep your head in the game and not pick up silly fouls.

This team is slowly progressing, the effort was definently there tonight, but lack of concentration at key stretches in the game cost this team a W again.

But I'm beginning to think I'm the reason they're losing, 6-7 overall but 0-5 when I showup:sssh: . Sorry guys, luckily I won't be able to make the next couple games.

Game was closer than the score would indicate as Nicholas Co. free throws in the final minutes inflated the final score. The Panthers missed a ton of free thows and shots in the paint. They simply did not have an answer for #50 on the glass and from 15ft in. The only quarter the Panthers won was the 2nd when #50 was on the bench with two fouls. Mofford had a coming out game for Augusta. Career High in pts. also had quite a few blocks and rebounds. Still needs to work on his decision making, and needs to work on his hands and quickness with the basketball. Staggs the only consistent panther as of late leading in scoring once again. Josh White had a solid game but would the real Jeremy Hardymon please stand up? 8 pts in the last two games including only 2 tonight. Completely non existant as of late, but when your shot isn't falling you still have to keep your head in the game and not pick up silly fouls.

This team is slowly progressing, the effort was definently there tonight, but lack of concentration at key stretches in the game cost this team a W again.

But I'm beginning to think I'm the reason they're losing, 6-7 overall but 0-5 when I showup:sssh: . Sorry guys, luckily I won't be able to make the next couple games.

As every great coach has said free throws can either win a game for you or lose it. # 50 played like he was all state tonight, or at least Augusta made it seem like that he must have had 20 rebounds. Mofford has been working on his game with post moves and looking better except he still wants to jump out and shoot instead of posting. I look for him to become big come tourny time with the improvement he has already made. Staggs is the key to the offenses the panthers try to get it to him more and more because they know he can put the ball in. He had a wide variety of post moves and as of lately has further developed his long-range shot. Hardymon just looked to be frustrated, he wasnt hitting and wasnt gettin many touches so it kind of frustrated him and he lost his head on some turnovers.

And as fro you being the bad luck charm. I dont think so, this team just thinks if their up by 10 or so at the half the other team is going to just lay down and give up. Glad to see you at the game tho.

As every great coach has said free throws can either win a game for you or lose it. # 50 played like he was all state tonight, or at least Augusta made it seem like that he must have had 20 rebounds. Mofford has been working on his game with post moves and looking better except he still wants to jump out and shoot instead of posting. I look for him to become big come tourny time with the improvement he has already made. Staggs is the key to the offenses the panthers try to get it to him more and more because they know he can put the ball in. He had a wide variety of post moves and as of lately has further developed his long-range shot. Hardymon just looked to be frustrated, he wasnt hitting and wasnt gettin many touches so it kind of frustrated him and he lost his head on some turnovers.

And as fro you being the bad luck charm. I dont think so, this team just thinks if their up by 10 or so at the half the other team is going to just lay down and give up. Glad to see you at the game tho.

:thumb:

Augusta played well in the 2nd but kind of sleepwalked through the rest of it. They never really got in a rhythm the rest of the game and were taking some pretty bad shots. Mofford really showed a lot of what he's capable of tonight. He blocked a ton of shots and was a presence on offense as well.

Willoughby (#50) was an absolute beast for Nicholas tonight. He kind of took over during a stretch in the early 4th quarter and scored 6 or 8 in a row with the game on the line. Also, he was on the bench (foul trouble?) the majority of the 2nd quarter when Augusta took over. I couldn't see from my angle but was he the one who got teed up?

Also, here's a box:

Nicholas County 16 7 13 28 - 64

Augusta 7 26 9 11 - 53

NC: Willoughby 9 5-7 23, Campbell 3 4-6 10, Boone 3 1-2 7, Duncan 0 3-6 3, Florence 0 0-2 0, Wade 5 2-2 12, McCarty 2 2-2 7, Mattox 0 2-2 2. Totals 22 19-29 64.

A: Staggs 3 4-4 12, Groves 4 0-2 9, J.White 3 2-6 8, Hamilton 4 0-1 8, Hardymon 1 0-0 2, Mofford 5 1-2 11, S.White 1 0-0 3. Totals 21 7-15 53.

Three-pointers: NC 1 (McCarty), A 4 (Staggs 2, Groves, S.White)

Records: Nicholas County 3-9, Augusta 6-7.

And game story

Chris had a good game, I know there are alot of fans that think he should be starting on Varsity. What do people think?

Dustin Staggs has been the most consistant player. What I like about him is that he is a real team player, to him its not all about Dustin.

Augusta played well in the 2nd but kind of sleepwalked through the rest of it. They never really got in a rhythm the rest of the game and were taking some pretty bad shots. Mofford really showed a lot of what he's capable of tonight. He blocked a ton of shots and was a presence on offense as well.

Willoughby (#50) was an absolute beast for Nicholas tonight. He kind of took over during a stretch in the early 4th quarter and scored 6 or 8 in a row with the game on the line. Also, he was on the bench (foul trouble?) the majority of the 2nd quarter when Augusta took over. I couldn't see from my angle but was he the one who got teed up?

What does Augusta need to do to stop these big guys? Not that #50 is very big but we seem to struggle with the Tyler Hamiltons out there.

What does Augusta need to do to stop these big guys? Not that #50 is very big but we seem to struggle with the Tyler Hamiltons out there.

First thing would be to quit trying to out jump teams. I didn't see much boxing out, if any at all, last night. Not to take anything away from Staggs because he gets great position and is relentless. I think Mofford could use some help as far as learning to get into position to get a board. He dosen't even need to box out much, height and position are very key in rebounding.

But, as far as defending the post, A-Town needs a lot of improvement. I would like to see more zone as long as you can keep Nicholas from getting it into the high post. A-Town has some length with Hardymon, Groves, Mofford, Staggs and Hamilton. I think the frantic pace helped the Bluejackets more than A-Town. The pace lead to foul trouble and poor shooting for Augusta. I didn't see any shooters at all for Nicholas. But, when you're coming from behind you have no choice but to play man-to-man.

Bottom line, Nicholas County out-worked Augusta from the tip.

Chris had a good game, I know there are alot of fans that think he should be starting on Varsity. What do people think?

Dustin Staggs has been the most consistant player. What I like about him is that he is a real team player, to him its not all about Dustin.

I don't know if he should start but Mofford is key to success for Augusta. As they say, "You can't teach height." His timing is really good for a kid who just learned game concepts. He can also avoid contact when going for a blocked shot.

Are you saying that it's all about Chris to Mofford?...Is that what you're implying?

I know the kid very well and you can tell from his emotion on the court that he loves the game and wants to win. It's not selfishness, it's confidence.

I agree though, Staggs is the first guy you pick going into battle. He's definitely got your back. He's mentally and physically tough. They call him "Shootie" not "Passie".