St. Henry: Varsity Football starts in 2026. (Now moved up to 2025.)

happ

15 hours ago, Breds82 said:

You seem to take this personal, Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers. My inclusion of Beechwood was an assumption that maybe there were some catholic families that would send their football player to St Henry over Beechwood or CovCath (all in the same area) if St Henry had an established program. As far as St Henry having a successful program relatively quickly to me would have zero impact to the NCC and Brossart programs or overall enrollment. NCC having enrollment issues has been around since before I was in school there. I was in the smallest senior class at the point I graduated.

Sorry, not personal ... just didn't understand your point of view ... and it was a little different than I have heard from others in the area.

Traveling around the state, there are some people I have met who throw Beechwood into the Public VS Private debate as private. Just thought it was an interesting thought since you are from the area and know that Beechwood is a public school.

• Like 1

Obviously they don’t as it was a mismatch more than it wasn’t.  You guys getting fired up over a simple question. I know when I was in school guys went to NewCath Brossart simply because they didn’t have football at Brossart and guys went to Campbell Co for the same reason. It was just a question about that. Also I would like to see NCC and Brossart play, nothing wrong with a rivalry game. And if St Henry can get competitive pretty quickly I’d like to see all four of the small Catholic teams play each other each year in some kind of trophy series. It would give the players an incentive to work as hard as they can outside of just wanting to win.

7 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Obviously they don’t as it was a mismatch more than it wasn’t.  You guys getting fired up over a simple question. I know when I was in school guys went to NewCath Brossart simply because they didn’t have football at Brossart and guys went to Campbell Co for the same reason. It was just a question about that. Also I would like to see NCC and Brossart play, nothing wrong with a rivalry game. And if St Henry can get competitive pretty quickly I’d like to see all four of the small Catholic teams play each other each year in some kind of trophy series. It would give the players an incentive to work as hard as they can outside of just wanting to win.

Good points here.

Who is the best person to take on this task as head coach ...we are obviously a long time away ... but a great head coach brings St. Henry up to speed quickly.

If St. Henry gets the right guy this deal could take off pretty quick. Anyone have any thoughts on "wishlist" or "dream" head coaches?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Good points here.

Who is the best person to take on this task as head coach ...we are obviously a long time away ... but a great head coach brings St. Henry up to speed quickly.

If St. Henry gets the right guy this deal could take off pretty quick. Anyone have any thoughts on "wishlist" or "dream" head coaches?

That’s the most interesting thing about this new program, who do they get for the head coach, but also, by default, who builds the entire trajectory of the program for years to come.

An experienced head coach? 
A young up and comer? 
A former HC who helped start a program? 

With that, is an experienced head coach out of a job right now that is looking to do all that it takes to start a new program? 

Will they trust a young coach with the entire basis and future of a program? 

When it comes to a HC that has helped start a program, who is left in NKY that helped start a program? (What school was the latest to join the NKY ranks with Varsity football? And where is that coach now?)

And probably most importantly, the article stated the job is coming open in early 2024, how long is that hiring process going to take? What coach is going to accept a job in which they cannot actually coach a varsity football game until a year after? And if I’m St. Henry, wouldn’t I want a coach that is still involved and coaching, meaning they are coaching and still in the industry.

Early early names to look for I’d have to say: 

If my assumption of Woody McMillen- being the last one to start a program in NKY (Walton), he fits the criteria above, but he just took the Ludlow job and is nearing retirement.

Dave Wirth - Been apart of Catholic School programs his entire career, including college. 

Greg Taphouse- HC experience not coaching currently. Although the rumor in why he was fired is pretty well known news, if true, I don’t think you attach your program to that.

Alex Shelton - Would be the young up and comer of the group, the question still remains, do you give the reigns to a new program to a young guy? 

Dave Brossart - Experienced HC with Catholic School experience.

Stephen Lickert- He’s open to change, as he’s applied for a job recently, Beechwood. And it has been stated often that his ultimate goal is HHS, would taking a job at St. Henry further that ultimate goal? And is a brand new program better than NCC- I say no, especially with all the changes that is coming. 

Jeff Marksberry - Just recently hung up the whistle, would have to assume he’s reached the amount of years in KY public schools or is quickly approaching the amount of years to retire. But he would fit in the HC with experience that is not currently coaching. 

Outsider - Do they have someone in mind, as they had to have had a football minded person in the conversation of starting a program. If so, who is that? Who did they lean on, and is he available. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Coach who is a teacher in the building is always best IMO, and even more important when starting a program.

That’s a definite, fortunately for Catholic schools, they can get anyone in the building with a bachelor’s degree alone. So that shouldn’t be a hurdle. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheConch said:

That’s the most interesting thing about this new program, who do they get for the head coach, but also, by default, who builds the entire trajectory of the program for years to come.

An experienced head coach? 
A young up and comer? 
A former HC who helped start a program? 

With that, is an experienced head coach out of a job right now that is looking to do all that it takes to start a new program? 

Will they trust a young coach with the entire basis and future of a program? 

When it comes to a HC that has helped start a program, who is left in NKY that helped start a program? (What school was the latest to join the NKY ranks with Varsity football? And where is that coach now?)

And probably most importantly, the article stated the job is coming open in early 2024, how long is that hiring process going to take? What coach is going to accept a job in which they cannot actually coach a varsity football game until a year after? And if I’m St. Henry, wouldn’t I want a coach that is still involved and coaching, meaning they are coaching and still in the industry.

Early early names to look for I’d have to say: 

If my assumption of Woody McMillen- being the last one to start a program in NKY (Walton), he fits the criteria above, but he just took the Ludlow job and is nearing retirement.

Dave Wirth - Been apart of Catholic School programs his entire career, including college. 

Greg Taphouse- HC experience not coaching currently. Although the rumor in why he was fired is pretty well known news, if true, I don’t think you attach your program to that.

Alex Shelton - Would be the young up and comer of the group, the question still remains, do you give the reigns to a new program to a young guy? 

Dave Brossart - Experienced HC with Catholic School experience.

Stephen Lickert- He’s open to change, as he’s applied for a job recently, Beechwood. And it has been stated often that his ultimate goal is HHS, would taking a job at St. Henry further that ultimate goal? And is a brand new program better than NCC- I say no, especially with all the changes that is coming. 

Jeff Marksberry - Just recently hung up the whistle, would have to assume he’s reached the amount of years in KY public schools or is quickly approaching the amount of years to retire. But he would fit in the HC with experience that is not currently coaching. 

Outsider - Do they have someone in mind, as they had to have had a football minded person in the conversation of starting a program. If so, who is that? Who did they lean on, and is he available. 

I feel like I see you mention Alex Shelton in every open job thread you comment in, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I feel like I see you mention Alex Shelton in every open job thread you comment in, lol.

(I’m biased. Friend of his family) But he’s applied for the last couple openings, would be inconsiderate of the BGP faithful to not share what I know. 

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 9:51 AM, The Oracle said:

How are things at St. Henry? I know the business manager at the grade school is a real peach and he and the pastor have run off the principal and some faculty members. Obviously a different relationship there between the high school and the parish, but I'm hearing tell of some unhappy Cru families and the possibility of that turning into folks heading elsewhere.

Any truth to the rumors?

I know the grade school is having some issues currently, yes, but I've not heard anything as of yet about the high school. As far as I know of, the parish does not currently have any real relationship with the high school...meaning, the principal of the grade school are employees of the parish, whereas the principal of the high school is hired by the diocese. So the pastor and parish business manager wouldn't really have much, if any say about things at the high school (although if the pastor is the chaplain at the high school, which may or may not be the case at St. Henry, then he would have some say regarding things in the religion department).

Regardless, I don't think the high school would have much to worry about there, aside from a potential for a dip in enrollment should the grade school have a notable drop in their enrollment first.

• Like 1