Boyle County 0 Danville 0 (Played in 1965)

Did Danville have a home field prior to building Admiral Stadium in 1974? Most everything I've seen in old records shows them playing at Centre College but I'm curious if I might have missed something.

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Did Danville have a home field prior to building Admiral Stadium in 1974? Most everything I've seen in old records shows them playing at Centre College but I'm curious if I might have missed something.

I am not sure. We got here in 1969 and they were playing at Centre.

When my Dad was the HFC at Boyle, he wanted to build one stadium for both programs at the Boyle County Fairgrounds. He wanted Boyle to build it but allow Danville to use it. He thought that could be a step toward merger. His bosses did not want to pursue that. 

• Like 3

• theguru changed the title to Boyle County 0 Danville 0 (Played in 1965)
20 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

I am not sure. We got here in 1969 and they were playing at Centre.

When my Dad was the HFC at Boyle, he wanted to build one stadium for both programs at the Boyle County Fairgrounds. He wanted Boyle to build it but allow Danville to use it. He thought that could be a step toward merger. His bosses did not want to pursue that. 

It's interesting the merger talk goes all the way back to that time!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I have always heard that Danville HS used to sit on Centre campus and Centre on Danville's campus.  They traded in back in the early 1900's.  

It's possible that Danville built Centre's stadium if this is true.  

3 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

It's interesting the merger talk goes all the way back to that time!

I'm not sure how much Boyle-Danville merger was a conversation back then, but it was always at the front with my Dad. 

He wanted to be the head coach at consolidated Laurel County, but his grandmother told him no because that was his hometown. Nobody argued with Granny. Lol

He was interested in the Paris job in 1969, when he was an assistant at Lafayette.  But, he thought they were getting ready to merge.  Not saying they offered him. Don't know that. And, they hired a GREAT coach in Homer Goins. Paris is still open today. 

He thought, eventually, the county schools would be the place to be over the city schools. He thought merger would provide more resources and would benefit the community by putting everyone together in one school system. That had alot to do with him going to Boyle County and Mercer County. He always thought both places had very bright futures. He was right. 

He loved old Harrodsburg HS's Bo Yeast, coached against him when he was the HFC at Boyle. When we moved to Mercer County, he thought is was great that his  granddaughter Emma went to school with Bo's nieces, Zhania & Zharia Yeast and they were friends.  To him, that is the way it should have been all along. 

There are still some GREAT city schools out there. No doubt. 

When I was at Paris, and I would see the basketball teams from Maysvillle HS & Mason County, I thought alot about what my Dad had said. I was crazy about their kids. Tough, compete, and athletic. When they merged, I thought it would be a great job. I was not disappointed. Loved coaching those guys and being in that communty.

Certainly had similar experience at Mercer as well. 

Merger is like getting married. It can be great, but it takes a bunch of work. It doesn't just turn out ok. Time does not automatically fix it. The adults in the room have to put the kids first and do their best to make it great for them. 

Have no idea what the future holds, but both Boyle and Danville have enjoyed much success the past 50 years. I sure do wish for both schools and communities the very best going forward. 

I lucked into this video. Had no idea it was there until I got the flash drive. When I recognized Centre College (Farris Stadium) and looked at my old Boyle stuff ... figured out what I had. Pretty cool!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:16 AM, okie1 said:

I have always heard that Danville HS used to sit on Centre campus and Centre on Danville's campus.  They traded in back in the early 1900's.  

It's possible that Danville built Centre's stadium if this is true.  

Danville High School was originally at the corner of Walnut and College streets, where Norton Center for the Arts is today—within a rocks-throw of Centre’s stadium. 

There had been a Women’s College at the East Lexington Street site where DHS is today, as early as the mid 1850. Centre, of course, started in 1820 at its present site, and was playing football by 1880. Danville High School started in 1911-12. Centre College football predates Danville football by more than 30 years. The stadium was always Centre’s stadium, but the lights that were added in the 1930s apparently belonged to DHS.

The Women’s College merged with Centre in 1925, but maintained separate campuses until 1962, when they moved into the Centre campus. Danville school district then bought the former Women’s College site and built the present High School which opened in 1964. 

Centre bought the former DHS site adjoining its campus and converted the buildings to its use, but DHS continued using the football stadium for home games. 

By 1972, Centre was building its new Fine Arts Center on the former DHS site and decided that once it opened in 1973 that they could no longer allow DHS games there on Friday nights, due to scheduling, noise, parking, etc. They offered to allow games on Friday afternoons, or even Saturday afternoons when Centre football was away, but DHS said its opponents would not agree to that. A deal was finally reached for DHS to continue using Centre’s field while they built one. 

Danville purchased land from Kentucky School for the Deaf and constructed their present stadium in 1974. It was late being completed for the first two home games and Danville hosted those games at Boyle County.  The next season, they named the stadium in honor of former coach Rice Mountjoy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Much appreciated, @Mr.Network. I should have just asked you in the first place!

It is interesting to see Danville had to play a couple of games at Boyle when their stadium wasn't ready. When Boyle opened in 1963, their home field also wasn't ready and they played a handful of games at Harrodsburg High and one game at Lancaster High.

• Like 3

My grandfather told me that as a kid he worked the farm where Boyle County High School currently stands.  Said that there was a pond where the football field is located.  That would explain all the past problems the school had with the field before turf was installed. 

I remember we lost an important district football game back in 1979 to Russell County in a monsoon.  Their huge fullback Popplewell had a career night and we lost.  Coach Rall had us rolling the field with a (water filled roller) the following week after each practice.  Boyle ended up 9-1 that season and failed to go to the playoffs as only the district champion went.  Boyle County ended up CKC Champions that season.

I think it was in 97 that a #1 rank Boyle lost to Bourbon County after beating them 33-0 in the regular season in the mud bowl.  2009 Boyle had to move a playoff game to Centre because of a bad playing field.   2010 Turf was installed.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rebel said:

My grandfather told me that as a kid he worked the farm where Boyle County High School currently stands.  Said that there was a pond where the football field is located.  That would explain all the past problems the school had with the field before turf was installed.  I remember we lost an important district football game back in 1979 to Russell County in a monsoon.  Their huge fullback Popplewell had a career night and we lost.  Coach Rall had us rolling the field with a (water filled roller) the following week after each practice.   I think it was in 97 that a #1 rank Boyle lost to Bourbon County after beating them 33-0 in the regular season in the mud bowl.  2009 Boyle had to move a playoff game to Centre because of a bad playing field.   2010 Turf was installed.    

Heard the exact same stuff in regards to the pond. 1979 at Boyle, we might as well have played in the pond. It was wet/muddy. 

• Like 2

@CheifSmoke Coach Rall gave me this jersey my Sr. year in high school back in 1981.  It was also my freshman football jersey and I cherish it!  It's in rough shape and the history goes all the way back to the beginning of Boyle County High School Football.  I even seen this actual jersey on the videos I've watch this week that you found.   I wear it every time to the State Championship games that Boyle plays.    

F93B7C62-6640-41A0-96DF-529236DB02FC_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Rebel said:

@CheifSmoke Coach Rall gave me this jersey my Sr. year in high school back in 1981.  It was also my freshman football jersey and I cherish it!  It's in rough shape and the history goes all the way back to the beginning of Boyle County High School Football.  I even seen this actual jersey on the videos I've watch this week that you found.   I wear it every time to the State Championship games that Boyle plays.    

F93B7C62-6640-41A0-96DF-529236DB02FC_1_105_c.jpeg

Wow! My Dad was HFC at Boyle when they bought those jerseys in 1970. You ever run across another one, or one of those old white jerseys they wore in the early 70's, please grab it for me. That jersey brings back a bunch of good memories. Thanks for posting the picture!

• Like 2