Thoughts on Re-districting (a year later)

In the 14th, Wolfe, Breathitt, and Jackson City gained as they are in with Riverside in the 55th, which used to be Knott, JBS, Cordia, Breathitt, Jackson, and Riverside. Wolfe was in the 56 with Lee, Powell, and Owsley. Estill took Wolfe's spot. The 54th wasn't touched still with Leslie, Perry, Hazard, and Buckhorn. The 53rd is tough with Knott, JBS, Cordia, Letcher, and Jenkins.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 11th region I still think that the districts are still messed up!!!!!!!!!!

I think the 5 public schools should be in the same district like the old days. Leave the Richmond district the same, leave the Frankfort the same and put Scott. Co, Lex Cath, Lca, And Sayer in the other district.

I bet Scott Co. would agree! Being in the same district with Bryan Station and Henry Clay means one of the big three is going home before the regional tournament.

Would like to see Fleming in the 39th district.

One question - were basketball teams allowed to petition the KHSAA to go somewhere other than where they were assigned (like they were in football)?

It's my understanding that Clay County petitioned and won (they were able to stay in the same region) and Scott Co. petitioned and lost (they were moved)

In the 14th, Wolfe, Breathitt, and Jackson City gained as they are in with Riverside in the 55th, which used to be Knott, JBS, Cordia, Breathitt, Jackson, and Riverside. Wolfe was in the 56 with Lee, Powell, and Owsley. Estill took Wolfe's spot. The 54th wasn't touched still with Leslie, Perry, Hazard, and Buckhorn. The 53rd is tough with Knott, JBS, Cordia, Letcher, and Jenkins.

I think Wolfe County benifited from the change.

The 56th was always a battle between the 4 member schools, and every game is important because of seeding. That is, you have to earn your way to an easy tournament game, not rely on a lucky draw.

But the 55th, where Wolfe is now, is much easier for the Wolves to reach the regional tournament. I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but if you draw Riverside in the blind draw, it's basicly a bye game.

And the 56th has gotten even tougher with Estill County and their 700+ enrollment coming on board.

Teams from the 13th Region that gained from the changes:

Knox Central

Pineville

Barbourville

Lynn Camp

Teams from the 13th that got the short end of the stick:

Williamsburg

Whitley Co.

Teams from the 12th Region that gained:

All

You gotta add the Harlan County teams, plus Bell and Middlesboro, to the list of getting the short end of the stick. We're in the only six-team district in the state.

Mason County no doubt is in the driver's seat in the 39th, I agree with Papa that Fleming County should have been left here in the 10th region(39th distirct), And as we look over here in the 38th District we have Pendleton and Harrison County, Deming and Nicholas County.

Back in 1983 was the ideal setup when your a small school like Deming. Schools that were in the District in the 38th then were Deming, Augusta, Pendleton County, and Bracken County, each of those schools have won the district at least once during that time(Deming I think has won it that I remember 4 times) up until they redrew the distiricts which it is bogus why they left them as they are now.

St. Pat I Believe has won the 39th a few times I think.

That is not the question I asked, Is it possible to petition the KHSAA to realign a district?

Here's the hard thing to figure out about the 11th. Scott County is moved in, and I agree with this move because things were supposedly done based on geographics to save on travel time and travel expenses; however, instead of moving Frankfort to the 8th to replace Scott County and Bullitt County, they moved Jessamine County schools out. Frankfort has to go thru Scott Co or Woodford Co to get to anyone in Lexington. Jessamine County is 15 minutes from anyone in Lexington. HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

If they weren't going to move Frankfort out then it should have been Richmond. How can they justify moving Jessamine???

Also, I have been told that the KHSAA had several meetings with Scott County and Mr. Hicks. How many other schools that were moved regions were allowed to meet with the KHSAA? Is this a common practice or is this unusual?