Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Purchasing a large gun safe

Featured Replies

Does anyone have any suggestions for a large gun safe?  Or retailers to look at?  I'm finishing my basement and think I'm going to put a large gun safe there and get rid of the gun cabinet that I have in my office. 

Depends on your budget and how large of a safe you're looking for. You can buy a cheaper safe like a Cannon or pay possibly double for a better safe like Liberty. Keep in mind thickness of metal, type of locking mechanism and fire rating (I recommend a minimum of 60 minutes) should be your main concerns. Door construction is also important. Your better gun safes have 1/2" or thicker solid plate steel in the door. 

Below are some links you can browse for safes, hope they help you.

https://www.gunsafes.com/

https://www.libertysafe.com/collections/gun-safes

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/collections/gun-safe-rifle-safe-products

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/gun-safes

  • Author
4 minutes ago, Run To State said:

What brand did you end up getting?

I went with a Cannon 64 gun safe from Tractor Supply.  Spent a bit more than I would've liked but we are finishing our basement and I didn't decide on the purchase until 2 weeks ago. That left me with no time to really shop around or wait for a great deal.  Looking forward to acquiring more guns to fill it up over time. 

I've been putting off getting a gun safe while we've lived here in Louisville because I didn't want to bother with having to move it, but once we get back to NKY I definitely want one.

I need to get one suitable for holding my flintlock longrifle, which is 62" long. ...so it needs to have at least a 63" interior height. Liberty's three top lines (Franklin, Lincoln, and Presidential) all have safes that will fit that, but $6K - $11K hurts my rear end a little more than I'm willing to deal with. Vault Pro has one for about $3.5K, but I haven't found any reviews on them online.

What are thoughts on the pros and cons of different locking mechanisms?

I finally bought a smaller Cannon gun safe myself from Tractor Supply.  I think is 12-gun or close to that.  
 

Now that we live close to grandkids, better safe than sorry.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:28 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've been putting off getting a gun safe while we've lived here in Louisville because I didn't want to bother with having to move it, but once we get back to NKY I definitely want one.

I need to get one suitable for holding my flintlock longrifle, which is 62" long. ...so it needs to have at least a 63" interior height. Liberty's three top lines (Franklin, Lincoln, and Presidential) all have safes that will fit that, but $6K - $11K hurts my rear end a little more than I'm willing to deal with. Vault Pro has one for about $3.5K, but I haven't found any reviews on them online.

What are thoughts on the pros and cons of different locking mechanisms?

How much do you have invested in the flintlock long rifle?  Unless we are talking $5K or more (or it has a ton of family sentimental value to you) I can't think of a way to justify buying a $6-11K just so it is tall enough for a single rifle.  My biggest reason for wanting a better gun safe is so I don't arm a criminal who breaks into my home and the fact that I have a suppressor/silencer awaiting approval from the ATF.  If that were to get stolen, the ATF would be all up my rear end.  My current one is plenty to keep my brother's kids away from my guns but a team of criminals with crow bars, pry bars, spud bars, burke bars could get into it within 5 minutes.  If the long rifle isn't stupid expensive, locking it in a closet may be your only logical choice.  If a criminal stole it, I doubt they would use it to hold up a gas station, lol.

44 minutes ago, Bert said:

How much do you have invested in the flintlock long rifle?  Unless we are talking $5K or more (or it has a ton of family sentimental value to you) I can't think of a way to justify buying a $6-11K just so it is tall enough for a single rifle.  My biggest reason for wanting a better gun safe is so I don't arm a criminal who breaks into my home and the fact that I have a suppressor/silencer awaiting approval from the ATF.  If that were to get stolen, the ATF would be all up my rear end.  My current one is plenty to keep my brother's kids away from my guns but a team of criminals with crow bars, pry bars, spud bars, burke bars could get into it within 5 minutes.  If the long rifle isn't stupid expensive, locking it in a closet may be your only logical choice.  If a criminal stole it, I doubt they would use it to hold up a gas station, lol.

Both, haha. It was hand-built by my uncle and has an appraised $12K replacement value. With the exception of the barrel and a couple of springs in the lock, which were purchased pre-made, every single bit of it was hand-forged and hand carved by my uncle. He's been building flintlocks for about 40 years.

22599_10100919777840140_3442745890844669

11248157_10100919777850120_5882388324518

10409035_10100919777845130_4804333004710

11705821_10100985365761420_2552234253077

Longrifle1.jpg

11216621_10100919777934950_5382509538755

Flintlock2.jpg

11289395_10100919778074670_2037818373100

11089039_10100925944357390_6200973082295

11134145_10100925944362380_3685791142713

11334289_10100925944352400_1572431815149

11334295_10100925944442220_8423825740774

11334017_10100925944462180_5575175621549

11038474_10100985365776390_1407953694434

11334192_10100925944591920_5496896885997

11011084_10100925944756590_7873385157338

11312914_10100925944641820_1821177786556

11145071_10100925944636830_8771735978559

11111052_10100925944786530_8257285732794

Wow, I would almost be tempted to mount that above a fire place as beautiful as it is but understand the desire to lock it up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.