Mayfield 55 Murray 6

Mayfield brought it and played a heck of a game. No doubt the better team tonight. It was an all system failure for Murray. I heard their fullback got quarantined and I think that threw off some timing. So many turnovers leading straight to Mayfield points. The Cardinal offense was outstanding tonight. Murray couldn’t get any drives going then muffed two pouch kicks that destroyed them. Good luck to Mayfield!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

Mayfield brought it and played a heck of a game. No doubt the better team tonight. It was an all system failure for Murray. I heard their fullback got quarantined and I think that threw off some timing. So many turnovers leading straight to Mayfield points. The Cardinal offense was outstanding tonight. Murray couldn’t get any drives going then muffed two pouch kicks that destroyed them. Good luck to Mayfield!

Are you kidding me? Really? Of all the things, what a way to let the whole team down. Totally preventable.

.......................Murray.....Mayfield

1st downs..........8...............13

Rushes-yards..36-135......26-264

Passing-yards....0-0.........9-14-0

Fumbles-lost......6-6...........2-2

Penalties............8-72.........9-87

Kylen Galbreath had 14 rushes for 162 yards

JuJu Starks had 8 rushes for 60 yards

• Thanks 1

This game reminded me once again how using just one game to measure a team is flawed. We see examples all the time of teams turning around scores in rematches. Things happen in games that make one game score unreliable in judging a team. Even now after these two have played twice, what do we think would happen if they played again? If we look at just this score or just the first game score by itself with no other scores, what would our thoughts be about each team? You can't get too caught up in one game score when judging a football team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mayfieldsportsfan said:

.......................Murray.....Mayfield

1st downs..........8...............13

Rushes-yards..36-135......26-264

Passing-yards....0-0.........9-14-0

Fumbles-lost......6-6...........2-2

Penalties............8-72.........9-87

Kylen Galbreath had 14 rushes for 162 yards

JuJu Starks had 8 rushes for 60 yards

So that far behind in the score, Murray still did not throw a pass?

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

So that far behind in the score, Murray still did not throw a pass?

The did not but they attempted to on several occassions but the QB never got the pass off due to being under major pressure.  It was like Mayfield somehow knew he was going to pass and brought the house on his pass attempts.  Maybe there was somthing that Mayfield picked up on from watching all of the 20 or so passes they threw all season.  

• Haha 1

Wow…what a turnaround! This is what we were expecting in the reg season game. Our kids were FOCUSED, and it showed. I knew this was going to be good when Murray went for it on 4th down from their OWN 37 yd line…it was 4th and 4…lost yardage on the play. We took it and scored and the rout was on. 

• Like 1

My arm chair take on what happened goes like this.   Murray runs a offense that is always going to be turnover prone just by its very nature for starters. The QB has that ball out there in the fullbacks belly and makes a decision to pull it nore often than not and is usually doing this under extreme duress, then he keeps it or may pitch it.  That is going to lead to a ball on the ground from time to time.  Credit the Murray QB though, he is a very skilled all around athlete and he has proven to be one of the better runners in this part of the state and he actually throws a decent ball when given the green light.  Back to last night, leading up to the game the Cards DC stated that we got confused at times in the first game but we would basically do the same game plan this time but make sure everyone better understood their assignment.  It appeared to me that he was right and the 4 man front that bent alot in the first game  and had fans freaked out looked impregnable last night.  This time on offense we didnt drop the exact same passes we had dropped in game 1 and our line play was stellar both opening holes and in pass protection.  The Cards focus and execution coupled with Murray's implosion led to the debacle for Murray we saw last night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

My arm chair take on what happened goes like this.   Murray runs a offense that is always going to be turnover prone just by its very nature for starters. The QB has that ball out there in the fullbacks belly and makes a decision to pull it nore often than not and is usually doing this under extreme duress, then he keeps it or may pitch it.  That is going to lead to a ball on the ground from time to time.  Credit the Murray QB though, he is a very skilled all around athlete and he has proven to be one of the better runners in this part of the state and he actually throws a decent ball when given the green light.  Back to last night, leading up to the game the Cards DC stated that we got confused at times in the first game but we would basically do the same game plan this time but make sure everyone better understood their assignment.  It appeared to me that he was right and the 4 man front that bent alot in the first game  and had fans freaked out looked impregnable last night.  This time on offense we didnt drop the exact same passes we had dropped in game 1 and our line play was stellar both opening holes and in pass protection.  The Cards focus and execution coupled with Murray's implosion led to the debacle for Murray we saw last night.  

When it comes to teams like Murray you have to practice to beat them throughout the year because it is a completely different defensive concept.  Kudos to Mayfield, exactly what I expect from such a well coached team. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

When it comes to teams like Murray you have to practice to beat them throughout the year because it is a completely different defensive concept.  Kudos to Mayfield, exactly what I expect from such a well coached team. 

Dead on!

• Like 2

Just now, Tracy House said:

To all the Green County faithful followers, please do not Google Mayfield High School to get to the stadium.

Google Mayfield Graves County Sr Citizens Building, we do not play on campus.

Thanks @Tracy House.  

We will have a Prediction/Update thread on BGP later today for this game and if you would please add that in the thread it would be very appreciated. 

• Thanks 1