Bengals 34 Lions 11

Finally, the Bengals dominate a team they are supposed to dominate.

The frustrating thing about the Bengals is they could be going into next weeks match with Baltimore at 6-0 and in first place.   As badly as they played at Chicago, they had a chance to win.   They should have beaten Green Bay, a couple times.    But I guess you can't take all the Bengal out of the Bengals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Finally, the Bengals dominate a team they are supposed to dominate.

The frustrating thing about the Bengals is they could be going into next weeks match with Baltimore at 6-0 and in first place.   As badly as they played at Chicago, they had a chance to win.   They should have beaten Green Bay, a couple times.    But I guess you can't take all the Bengal out of the Bengals.

As much fun as it is to think about the what if’s, and how they could have been 6 and 0. They also very easily could be 2 and 4 right now if the Vikings and Jags game went a little different at the end. So while it sucks thinking about those two losses, two of the wins also could have went very differently. So we just need to enjoy being 4 and 2 and in the mix, with a big division game next. 

Who Dey!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

As much fun as it is to think about the what if’s, and how they could have been 6 and 0. They also very easily could be 2 and 4 right now if the Vikings and Jags game went a little different at the end. So while it sucks thinking about those two losses, two of the wins also could have went very differently. So we just need to enjoy being 4 and 2 and in the mix, with a big division game next. 

Who Dey!

Who Dey!

• Like 1

And did anybody else catch the comment by the sideline reporter after halftime, where she had Taylor's explanation for the Bengals frequent use of 2 tight end formations?  I couldn't believe that's what he said, and thought I must have misheard/misunderstood it.  But just a minute or so later, Daryl Johnston had the same questioning thought that I had.

Basically, it boils down to this...

Detroit Defense:  We need to try to stop Cincinnati's top 3 receivers

Zac Taylor:  Hey, I know what you're going to do...so, I'm going to take advantage of this, by not playing my top 3 receivers all at once, and will go with extra tight ends and linemen instead.

This is not the same as a QB adjusting the play, according to what the defense is showing him at that moment.  This is predetermining your personnel/sets based upon what you think the defensive philosophy is going to be.  This is the tail wagging the dog.  It's totally backwards and is the worst warning sign I've seen with Taylor at the helm.

Bengals are winning in spite of Taylor, not because of him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

And did anybody else catch the comment by the sideline reporter after halftime, where she had Taylor's explanation for the Bengals frequent use of 2 tight end formations?  I couldn't believe that's what he said, and thought I must have misheard/misunderstood it.  But just a minute or so later, Daryl Johnston had the same questioning thought that I had.

Zac Taylor:  Hey, I know what you're going to do...so, I'm going to take advantage of this, by not playing my top 3 receivers all at once, and will go with extra tight ends and linemen instead.

This is not the same as a QB adjusting the play, according to what the defense is showing him at that moment.  This is predetermining your personnel/sets based upon what you think the defensive philosophy is going to be.  This is the tail wagging the dog.  It's totally backwards and is the worst warning sign I've seen with Taylor at the helm.

Taylor is overthinking things.  Probably all the analytics that are part of sports now.  I love the Bum Phillips quote about Bear Bryant:  "Bryant can take his and beat yours, and then he can turn around and take yours and beat his."  I think a team would get more respect by going out and dominating with your strengths despite the other team's preparation to beat you.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Taylor is overthinking things.  Probably all the analytics that are part of sports now.  I love the Bum Phillips quote about Bear Bryant:  "Bryant can take his and beat yours, and then he can turn around and take yours and beat his."  I think a team would get more respect by going out and dominating with your strengths despite the other team's preparation to beat you.

I just don't see how handicapping yourself becomes an advantage.

• Like 1

Just now, nkypete said:

Derrick Barnes (Covington Holy Cross) had a nice game for the Lions.  9 total tackles (6 solo) and this pass defense on Drew Sample.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 105321.jpg

Derrick had a great game and I didn't expect any less from our 2016 All BluegrassPreps.com team member:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

You can’t fully say they aren’t winning because of him. As a Head Coach he has done a very good job building this team back. The Bengals were in rut with their former star players, and he wasn’t afraid to make the needed changes, when with fans complaining about how he was treating and or moving on from former guys. It needed to be done, and he doesn’t get enough credit for that. He has done a great job putting together a very good lockerroom with a bunch of players who play hard and are bought in. That’s exactly what you want from a head coach. 

Now Zac Taylor the playcaller is possibly holding them back some. So he may need to eventually consider moving on from his play calling duties. However, let’s not act like he hasn’t done a good job of building this team as a HC and improving the culture. That plays a big part in winning football games too.