CovCath Highlands Week

TyroneBigsby

3 hours ago, BigErn said:

I don’t know if NKMSAA teams refuse to play them. They don’t NEED to play them. They already have a full schedule, and against teams who’s kids are all from the same school (minus CovCath and NewCath). 

I disagree with the NKYFL comparison. Those teams are not high school feeders. Some may want to be, but they have too many kids that end up at multiple high schools. So it’s not apples to apples. The Red Devils are a perfect example. They’re one of the most dominant teams in the NKYFL, but will send kids to Highlands, Campbell Co., NewCath, Beechwood, and so on. 

If I were in your shoes or a Norseman member looking to add more teams, I’d be going after CovCath and NewCath. They’re already on a slippery slope with the NKMSAA, as they are the only programs who aren’t really middle schools. They would be perfect for the Norsemen Conference. 

Union Raiders MS has a great schedule. We don’t NEED to play any team from the NKMSAA either. I just think it’s silly that most from the league won’t even scrimmage us. I was told by a coach that no teams from Kenton County can play us because we’re perceived as a “select” team, which isn’t accurate. 

And I agree that the NKYFL isn’t apples to apples, but it isn’t too far off. It’s NKY football teams playing one another. Restricting teams from doing so is absurd. Can’t be afraid to play different competition, regardless how good they are or where they pull the kids from. 

3 hours ago, BigErn said:

I don’t know if NKMSAA teams refuse to play them. They don’t NEED to play them. They already have a full schedule, and against teams who’s kids are all from the same school (minus CovCath and NewCath). 

I disagree with the NKYFL comparison. Those teams are not high school feeders. Some may want to be, but they have too many kids that end up at multiple high schools. So it’s not apples to apples. The Red Devils are a perfect example. They’re one of the most dominant teams in the NKYFL, but will send kids to Highlands, Campbell Co., NewCath, Beechwood, and so on. 

If I were in your shoes or a Norseman member looking to add more teams, I’d be going after CovCath and NewCath. They’re already on a slippery slope with the NKMSAA, as they are the only programs who aren’t really middle schools. They would be perfect for the Norsemen Conference. 

And we asked CovCath, they refused. We opted to play Withrow instead. 

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

1 hour ago, NKYRaider said:

Union Raiders MS has a great schedule. We don’t NEED to play any team from the NKMSAA either. I just think it’s silly that most from the league won’t even scrimmage us. I was told by a coach that no teams from Kenton County can play us because we’re perceived as a “select” team, which isn’t accurate. 

And I agree that the NKYFL isn’t apples to apples, but it isn’t too far off. It’s NKY football teams playing one another. Restricting teams from doing so is absurd. Can’t be afraid to play different competition, regardless how good they are or where they pull the kids from. 

Any NKMSAA team can play whoever they want. Highlands 7th and both 8ths played Boone Co, and their 7th grade team also played an out of state select team. 

The only league in Northern Kentucky restricting teams from playing one another is the NKYFL. And I agree that it is absurd. 

Cut the Raiders off at 6th grade, go all in with a Gray middle school feeder for Ryle, and play an NKMSAA schedule like the rest of NKY. And schedule whoever you want to outside of that. 

1 hour ago, NKYRaider said:

And we asked CovCath, they refused. We opted to play Withrow instead. 

"Refused" is a strong word. There are lots of reasons schedules don't necessarily work out.  Were you given an actual reason? Because I have a hard time seeing CYF intentionally avoiding the Union Raiders when half of the CYF teams are playing against Elder, Moeller, LaSalle and St. X feeder programs.

3 minutes ago, BigErn said:

Any NKMSAA team can play whoever they want. Highlands 7th and both 8ths played Boone Co, and their 7th grade team also played an out of state select team. 

The only league in Northern Kentucky restricting teams from playing one another is the NKYFL. And I agree that it is absurd. 

Cut the Raiders off at 6th grade, go all in with a Gray middle school feeder for Ryle, and play an NKMSAA schedule like the rest of NKY. And schedule whoever you want to outside of that. 

I was told this year by a coach who’s been in the NKMSAA for a very long time that no Kenton Co team can play us. I still have the text. Maybe he’s wrong, but I assure you he was very certain they can’t.

We like having the flexibility to play any team in the state and across the river. This year we’ll play Elkhorn, Scott County, North Pulaski, East Central, and Withrow to go along w/ our Norseman schedule. Hard to do that when you’re boxed into a league w/ so many teams.

Again, I’m not saying one is better or worse. I’d argue the competition level is traditionally better throughout the state than what NKMSAA offers, but that varies from year to year. It seems to be working out for both leagues. I just wish we could work things out for add on games. We tried to play multiple teams from NKMSAA for a either a weekday or weekend game for a 2 week stretch. Nobody could or would.

3 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

"Refused" is a strong word. There are lots of reasons schedules don't necessarily work out.  Were you given an actual reason? Because I have a hard time seeing CYF intentionally avoiding the Union Raiders when half of the CYF teams are playing against Elder, Moeller, LaSalle and St. X feeder programs.

I certainly didn’t imply they were scared to play, but we offered a scrimmage during the week or weekend for a 2 week stretch and was told no. Wasn’t really given a reason.

We tried to play the James St James as well, and it didn’t work out. I believe they said they can only play 1 game per week, so maybe that’s why Cov couldn’t. Not sure.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NKYRaider said:

I was told this year by a coach who’s been in the NKMSAA for a very long time that no Kenton Co team can play us. I still have the text. Maybe he’s wrong, but I assure you he was very certain they can’t.

We like having the flexibility to play any team in the state and across the river. This year we’ll play Elkhorn, Scott County, North Pulaski, East Central, and Withrow to go along w/ our Norseman schedule. Hard to do that when you’re boxed into a league w/ so many teams.

Again, I’m not saying one is better or worse. I’d argue the competition level is traditionally better throughout the state than what NKMSAA offers, but that varies from year to year. It seems to be working out for both leagues. I just wish we could work things out for add on games. We tried to play multiple teams from NKMSAA for a either a weekday or weekend game for a 2 week stretch. Nobody could or would.

If that’s true, and the NKMSAA has a rule that only applies to teams in a certain county, that’s bush league. Any team should be able to play whoever they want, be it NKMSAA, Norsemen, NKYFL or FTJFL. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigErn said:

If that’s true, and the NKMSAA has a rule that only applies to teams in a certain county, that’s bush league. Any team should be able to play whoever they want, be it NKMSAA, Norsemen, NKYFL or FTJFL. 

Since when did middle school football become like AAU basketball?  Playing multiple games in a week, traveling all over to play.  Just seems like a lot of contact for kids that age which results in injuries and concussions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Since when did middle school football become like AAU basketball?  Playing multiple games in a week, traveling all over to play.  Just seems like a lot of contact for kids that age which results in injuries and concussions.

Not sure. I’m not a fan of playing more than once a week. 

14 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

We’ve never played more than 1 game during a week. 

If you want to play better teams, sometimes you have to travel. Our kids love it. Only the Pulaski game was more than an hour drive. I’d rather spend an extra couple hours driving to good comp than play a lopsided game close.

Union Raiders 8th played Withrow tonight to a 20-20 tie at Withrow. Definitely the best MS football game I’ve ever watched. We had our chances to win in the end, but a tie felt right. Both teams battled to the end.

Really cool seeing our kids squared up with Chris Henry’s kids all while Adam Jones coaching from their sidelines. Our kids all got pics w/ him afterwards.

First time at Withrow. What an incredible venue. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:38 PM, BigErn said:

Since everybody is speculating about what the rules are and aren’t regarding who you can and cannot play in the NKMSAA, i figured someone needs to set the record straight. The NKMSAA does allow teams to play outside of the league, and in fact encouraged teams to do so this year when a couple teams dropped out or to fill bye’s caused by COVID cancellations. Kenton County schools have a district policy that does not allow our teams to play non-school based/club teams outside of the NKMSAA. Kenton County teams are not scared to play Boone County teams. Woodland tried to schedule a scrimmage with Conner this year and was not permitted to do so by the district. Kenton County teams are permitted to play other school based teams. Since Kenton County does not provide travel for middle school, and our schedule is easily filled locally with NKMSAA schools, we rarely have the need to go outside of the league. We aren’t scared of or unwilling to play anyone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Since everybody is speculating about what the rules are and aren’t regarding who you can and cannot play in the NKMSAA, i figured someone needs to set the record straight. The NKMSAA does allow teams to play outside of the league, and in fact encouraged teams to do so this year when a couple teams dropped out or to fill bye’s caused by COVID cancellations. Kenton County schools have a district policy that does not allow our teams to play non-school based/club teams outside of the NKMSAA. Kenton County teams are not scared to play Boone County teams. Woodland tried to schedule a scrimmage with Conner this year and was not permitted to do so by the district. Kenton County teams are permitted to play other school based teams. Since Kenton County does not provide travel for middle school, and our schedule is easily filled locally with NKMSAA schools, we rarely have the need to go outside of the league. We aren’t scared of or unwilling to play anyone.

I don’t recall anyone accusing them of being scared. I was addressing the absurd rule. I wasn’t aware it was only Kenton County. Regardless, that’s still impacts a good % of the overall teams in the league.

My question is, what is the difference between Cov Cath/New Cath teams and Conner? I assume Woodland can play Cov and New Cath, correct? Don’t those 2 teams pull from multiple schools? 

Not sure when/where/why the rule was created, but wish it would be removed. We shouldn’t have rules restricting games. We had to deal with similar rules in the NKYFL. Dumb.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NKYRaider said:

I don’t recall anyone accusing them of being scared. I was addressing the absurd rule. I wasn’t aware it was only Kenton County. Regardless, that’s still impacts a good % of the overall teams in the league.

My question is, what is the difference between Cov Cath/New Cath teams and Conner? I assume Woodland can play Cov and New Cath, correct? Don’t those 2 teams pull from multiple schools? 

Not sure when/where/why the rule was created, but wish it would be removed. We shouldn’t have rules restricting games. We had to deal with similar rules in the NKYFL. Dumb.

Totally agree. There is no difference. My personal opinion is that if the NKMSAA requires kids to attend the school they play for, they shouldn’t make exceptions for CovCath and NewCath. If you don’t have a middle school, then you can’t play in the NKMSAA. I don’t think CovCath would care, I’m not sure why they do anyway.  All of their teams except for 7th play in the GCYFL. NewCath would be in a tough spot but it’s not the NKMSAA’s responsibility to accommodate them.