Beechwood at Dixie Heights Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Beechwood
    • Dixie Heights

Beechwood faces their second big school Dixie Highway opponent in a row when they travel south on Dixie Highway to face the 6A Dixie Heights Colonels, game time 7 pm. The Tigers will have revenge on their minds. They have now won 13 games in a row and their last loss was to the Dixie Colonels last year. There have not been many disappointments for the Tigers over the past two seasons. I believe most Tigers fans would call last year's game versus Dixie their most disappointing performance in a game over the past two seasons.

Last year the Colonels beat the Tigers at the line of scrimmage. Sr. RB Pierce Rohlman rushed for 167 yards and Sr. QB Logan Landers added 98 yards on the ground. Dixie rushed for almost 300 yards against the Tigers defense in last year's game. Then Landers put the game away late with a pass to WR Devin Holbert that Holbert took to the house for an 88 yard touchdown. Last year Dixie was having trouble hitting their stride, coming into the Beechwood game with a 1-2 record. The win over Beechwood propelled Dixie to a strong finish to the season. The Colonels are in a similar situation this year entering the game 3- 2, but the Colonels got a big momentum building win last Friday holding on to defeat the Highlands Bluebirds. The same key players are all back for Dixie - Rohlman, Landers, Holbert, WR Kel Hawkins and D1 commit Evan Wibberly anchoring the line.

On the other side the Beechwood Tigers are on a roll. In last year's game, QB Cam Hergott was the source of all the offense both running and throwing. The Tigers running backs only rushed for 3 yards in last year's game. Most of Beechwood's success last year was throwing the ball to receivers Mitchell Berger, Parker Mason and Brady Moore. This year the Tigers have produced more running the ball than passing. In the Tigers 27-7 win over Covington Catholic, Hergott only threw 5 passes (completing all 5) as the Tigers controlled the line of scrimmage. Beechwood has their own D1 commit leading their line in Luke Slusher, who will be teammates with Wibberly next year at Western Kentucky. Line play will be a major focus in this game. To avenge last year's loss, that Beechwood line will need to play even better than they did in their win over those other Dixie Highway Colonels.  

How do you see this game playing out? Can Dixie beat the two most decorated football programs in N. Ky. in back to back weeks? Or are the Tigers too much this year for the Colonels?

• Thanks 2

Gimme the tigers by 14. They’ll be looking for revenge from last years game. Dixie is an explosive team and will be looking to make another statement for a second year in a row against Beechwood, but I don’t think comes true. Defense is firing on all cylinders, Hatfield is cleared back to play, throwing him back onto the already stout defense in his starting linebacker role. Hergott is the difference maker as he always is. I am curious to see how Greg attacks this defense. Is it through the air, or power football? 

5 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I think the big Beechwood predictions seem off base to me I think Dixie is better than Pikeville and Beechwood on beat Pikeville by 17 while I do expect Beechwood to win I expect a close game like 7 points.

Beechwood has not played Pikeville this year. Beechwood's closest winning margin was 20 points to Cov Cath. 

10 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I think the big Beechwood predictions seem off base to me I think Dixie is better than Pikeville and Beechwood on beat Pikeville by 17 while I do expect Beechwood to win I expect a close game like 7 points.

Lexington Christian beat Pikeville by 17 (if that is what you meant) last week but how does one compare that to Dixie or Beechwood without head-to-head competition? 

1 hour ago, bjaynes said:

Lexington Christian beat Pikeville by 17 (if that is what you meant) last week but how does one compare that to Dixie or Beechwood without head-to-head competition? 

You’re right I was sleeping guess I was thinking those two teams are one in the same because they are dominant in 2A.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Sounds as if no one has an answer for the Beechwood passing attack. Is their offensive line play stellar, or average? Hergott must have decent time in the pocket to get these throws off!

Beechwood offense is very balanced. They actually have rushed for more yards than they have passed for. Against Covington Catholic, Beechwood was having so much success running the ball that they only threw 5 passes (all complete). Yes, the offensive line has been very good.

The most impressive stat on Beechwood this year so far is the defense is only allowing 87 yards per game.

47 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Beechwood offense is very balanced. They actually have rushed for more yards than they have passed for. Against Covington Catholic, Beechwood was having so much success running the ball that they only threw 5 passes (all complete). Yes, the offensive line has been very good.

The most impressive stat on Beechwood this year so far is the defense is only allowing 87 yards per game.

Ok, so they aren't anywhere near a one dimensional team. I gotcha. 

If you are a score watcher then you see that Beechwood beat CCH 27-7 and CCH beat Dixie 24-8 so yes it looks like Beechwood should dominate this game. I think this might be closer than most people think. Beechwood is coming off the victory over CCH and need to stay grounded this week and take care of business. When you have struggled against one team for so long you could have a let down after such an emotional win. Having the week off after the CCH game could have given the coaches time to get the players heads refocused. Regardless Dixie is a good team having a up and down kind of season. Dixie is good enough to play with and possibly upset Beechwood. The key to this game is going to be the line play. Dixie is big and needs to control the line of scrimmage to control the game. The more time of possession Dixie can control the more likely the upset can happen, CCH was able to control the clock and limited the Beechwood offense on the field. I believe Beechwood scored the first 4 times they touched the ball but because CCH was able to control the clock the 4th score wasn’t until the 3rd quarter. I still believe Coach Rash will have Beechwood ready and they will win. 

Beechwood-35

Dixie-21

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1