Russellville - 2021 Schedule

Aug 20 vs. Butler County (Linton-Wren Kick-Off Classic)
Aug 27 vs. Glasgow
Sep 3 vs. Logan County
Sep 10 at Warren East
Sep 17 at Franklin-Simpson
Sep 24 at Barren County
Oct 1 vs. Fulton County (District)
Oct 8 - OPEN
Oct 15 - OPEN
Oct 22 at Crittenden County (District)
Oct 29 vs. Monroe County

Russellville.thumb.jpg.57232f0caeb61df34b2fbf6e3f6cd798.jpg

I'm assuming Caverna will fill in the remaining spot on the schedule...but I'm curious as to whether or not Caverna has dropped from district competition for the time being, seeing as Fulton County is also in 1A District 1 and has already entered a 10-game schedule with the KHSAA that does not include a game against Caverna.

The Colonels only had 22 players on their roster last year, although only 4 of them were seniors, so they potentially have 18 returning players, which would presumably be enough to field a team. They only played 5 games in 2020 due to COVID cancellations.

On 6/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, Voice of Reason said:

But if you want to be one of the best 1A teams and compete for a title, it is the way to go.

I don't disagree with you at all.  Only that if your team isn't ready for that, it can back fire.  I wish the best for Coach Benton and the Panther's!

I decided to look a little deeper into the Pather's situation.  They had 32 guys on the team last season.  Exactly 8 in each class, so I'm assuming they'll have 8 Freshman in the Fall.  23 of those guys played at least 6 games (all the senior did and only some Freshman didn't, which you'd expect).

My recollection of Russellville football is if they have guys to play on the line, then they are tough.  Coming back for the 21 season are 13 guys, who by the roster, say they play on the line.  That seems like alot for a 1A team, but I don't know much about those guys.

Coming back for Russellville will be their senior QB Lennon Ries, who was 56 for 136 passing for 949 yards and 11 TDs vs 7 INTs.  Add that to 75 rushes for 238 yards and 2 more TDs and that's a very solid season for a 1A QB.

Also coming back is top RB Senior Jovari Gamble who rushed 104 times for 839 yards and 6 TDs and caught 12 passes for 107 yards and another TD.  So the Panthers are set in the backfield.  But he does it all and sell popcorn for the Panthers as he had the 4th most tackles at 45 on the season last year.

But Gamble is the only WR coming back out of last seasons top 6 guys.  So hoping the Panthers can pick up some experience on the 7v7 circuit to get come chemistry going for the fall.

On defense, of the top 6 tacklers, who each had at least 40 tackles last season, only JR Lamarcus Hickman returns with Jovari Gamble.  So the Panther defense could be suspect early in the season when some pretty tough games are scheduled.  But if Coach Benton can hold them together in the locker room until district without many injuries, keep an eye on the Panthers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, Purple88 said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  Only that if your team isn't ready for that, it can back fire.  I wish the best for Coach Benton and the Panther's!

I decided to look a little deeper into the Pather's situation.  They had 32 guys on the team last season.  Exactly 8 in each class, so I'm assuming they'll have 8 Freshman in the Fall.  23 of those guys played at least 6 games (all the senior did and only some Freshman didn't, which you'd expect).

My recollection of Russellville football is if they have guys to play on the line, then they are tough.  Coming back for the 21 season are 13 guys, who by the roster, say they play on the line.  That seems like alot for a 1A team, but I don't know much about those guys.

Coming back for Russellville will be their senior QB Lennon Ries, who was 56 for 136 passing for 949 yards and 11 TDs vs 7 INTs.  Add that to 75 rushes for 238 yards and 2 more TDs and that's a very solid season for a 1A QB.

Also coming back is top RB Senior Jovari Gamble who rushed 104 times for 839 yards and 6 TDs and caught 12 passes for 107 yards and another TD.  So the Panthers are set in the backfield.  But he does it all and sell popcorn for the Panthers as he had the 4th most tackles at 45 on the season last year.

But Gamble is the only WR coming back out of last seasons top 6 guys.  So hoping the Panthers can pick up some experience on the 7v7 circuit to get come chemistry going for the fall.

On defense, of the top 6 tacklers, who each had at least 40 tackles last season, only JR Lamarcus Hickman returns with Jovari Gamble.  So the Panther defense could be suspect early in the season when some pretty tough games are scheduled.  But if Coach Benton can hold them together in the locker room until district without many injuries, keep an eye on the Panthers!

Rumor is that Logan County WR/DB Anthony Woodard and another Logan County player transferred to Russellville this spring as 5th year Seniors. Do not know how true this rumor is. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 12:04 AM, WKY_Football said:

Rumor is that Logan County WR/DB Anthony Woodard and another Logan County player transferred to Russellville this spring as 5th year Seniors. Do not know how true this rumor is. 

It appears that RB/DB Chevis Elliott has re-classified to Class of 2022.  Elliott rushed for 315 yards and 3 TDs on 31 carries last year. 10 yards per carry is.....kinda nice. He was also the leading tackler for the Russellville defense with 83 tackles, 12 TFL, and 6 INTs.

The Panthers' #2 receiver, Jackson Hampton, has also opted to reclassify to Class of 2022. He had 261 yards and 3 TDs on 13 receptions. 20 yards per catch is another really nice looking stat. Hampton was also 5th in tackles at safety, with 43 tackles, 4 TFL, and 3 INTs.

They're also getting OL/DL Josh Todd back, I believe. He accounted for 31 tackles and 8 TFL last year.

AJ "Rooster" Woodard has apparently transferred from Logan County to Russellville as a 5th year senior. I guess that would have to include a verified change of address in order to make the transfer eligibility work out...who knows.

51a2018caa9fdbf684377e9444e7fe68_slidertaylorsvillepaddle.thumb.jpg.00fde9379bdcf0b14738d46d69ce4591.jpg