Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)

32 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

Rumors here in Western Kentucky are chirping about the possible consolidation of these two schools in the next 4-6 years!! Wowzers!!! 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this with county and independent districts.  It's getting harder to be an independent district in a lot of ways.  Rumors are also big in the Danville/Boyle area of a merge within the next decade.

1 hour ago, DanvilleFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this with county and independent districts.  It's getting harder to be an independent district in a lot of ways.  Rumors are also big in the Danville/Boyle area of a merge within the next decade.

According to the schools website, Christian County & Hopkinsville both fall under the leadership of Christian County Public schools. Neither are independent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

Christian and Hopkinsville are both county schools. One is roughly the north half of the south, the other is south. They have a superintendent who is pushing this, I believe. It would definitely go against the grain of what has been standard practice in Kentucky of late (think Boone County, Scott County, Laurel County, etc.).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Christian and Hopkinsville are both county schools. One is roughly the north half of the south, the other is south. They have a superintendent who is pushing this, I believe. It would definitely go against the grain of what has been standard practice in Kentucky of late (think Boone County, Scott County, Laurel County, etc.).

Wow, I was way off there.  For whatever reason I was thinking Hopkinsville was independent.

What would be the rationale for this?  Declining enrollment?

3 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Wow, I was way off there.  For whatever reason I was thinking Hopkinsville was independent.

What would be the rationale for this?  Declining enrollment?

Not really sure. Christian County is 5A and Hopkinsville is 4A (but usually close to 5A) so I don't think numbers are an issue. Both schools are almost always good in every sport so I don't think they're struggling athletically (albeit some occasion bad seasons). Maybe they want a super team? Not really sure.

10 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Would bump them up to 6A. Guess they want a shot at Louisville powers. 🤷‍♂️

Current enrollment at Hoptown is 1100, and Christian County's enrollment is 1238, which would put their combined district at roughly 2300 students, and would make it approximately the 4th largest high school in Kentucky, and one of 10 high schools in the state with enrollments of 2000+ students.

2542 St. Xavier High School
2386 Trinity High School
2362 Lafayette High School
2139 Henry Clay High School
2106 Eastern High School
2056 Henderson County High School
2026 Male High School
2023 Madison Central High School
2002 McCracken County High School

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WKY_Football said:

Rumors here in Western Kentucky are chirping about the possible consolidation of these two schools in the next 4-6 years!! Wowzers!!! 

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

My understanding is that the "rumors" are starting from superintendent Chris Bentzel's office. Christian County Public Schools hired Chris Bentzel as superintendent in March 2020. One of his first significant moves as superintendent was in June 2020 when he created a new district-wide athletic director position, responsible for overseeing high school (but not middle school) athletics in the school district. Bentzel tapped Christian County basketball coach Kerry Stovall as the first District Athletic Director: https://whopam.com/2020/06/11/stovall-named-ccps-first-district-wide-athletic-director/

12 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

My understanding is that the "rumors" are starting from superintendent Chris Bentzel's office. Christian County Public Schools hired Chris Bentzel as superintendent in March 2020. One of his first significant moves as superintendent was in June 2020 when he created a new district-wide athletic director position, responsible for overseeing high school (but not middle school) athletics in the school district. Bentzel tapped Christian County basketball coach Kerry Stovall as the first District Athletic Director: https://whopam.com/2020/06/11/stovall-named-ccps-first-district-wide-athletic-director/

Bentzel is a Lancaster, PA native. School District of Lancaster has long operated one "single" high school that is, in effect, two large high schools that both share one giant campus - upwards of 3K students enrolled.

Hoptown and Christian County already share a football stadium...sounds like the early makings of the same situation Bentzel is familiar with from "back home".

From what I am hearing there is not much support in the community for this move. It is all speculation at this time. Could happen but it will cost a lot of money and people in this community do not like to spend money? Lot of old money on one side of the town and not much on the other for sports.

2 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

From what I am hearing there is not much support in the community for this move. It is all speculation at this time. Could happen but it will cost a lot of money and people in this community do not like to spend money? Lot of old money on one side of the town and not much on the other for sports.

Is it...?

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Current enrollment at Hoptown is 1100, and Christian County's enrollment is 1238, which would put their combined district at roughly 2300 students, and would make it approximately the 4th largest high school in Kentucky, and one of 10 high schools in the state with enrollments of 2000+ students.

2542 St. Xavier High School
2386 Trinity High School
2362 Lafayette High School
2139 Henry Clay High School
2106 Eastern High School
2056 Henderson County High School
2026 Male High School
2023 Madison Central High School
2002 McCracken County High School

I assume doubling St. X and Trinity enrollment due to lack of girls to equate with co-ed schools.

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (UPDATE: Yes)
  • theguru changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)