Need a ref for the answer

Jeepman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb: :thumb: Let me preface my comments by saying that I have no prior knowledge of the incident in question. I do know a few things though. First, high school officiating associations are constantly looking for good officials, by all means get out and improve the quality of officiating in our state. Second, these guys are human. They make mistakes. I'm not saying this was one(I actually don't think it is based on what I've heard), but if it was, it happens. They make 60 bucks a game. If you feel you can do better, by all means, please do. Third, the worst thing in the world in any sport for an official to do is to "kill" a play before it's over. As stated by JimmyRef, you wait, wait, and wait some more in a situation like this to be sure. I personally don't like the H.S. rule regarding 4th down fumbling, but it is what it is. One call does not win or lose a game.

Actually this ONE call did win a game, unfortunately. Not that we didn't have more opportunity, but just had to say I have seen several games where one call won/lost a game. Especially in high school football.

I don't see how this is 'beating a dead horse". It was a controversial call that will be discussed by those that saw it and by those that have only heard about it. I havn't read a single post asking for the call to be over ruled or the outcome of the game changed based on this incident.

IMO it was a bad call. Thats not whining its just a fact. The fact that I say that does not mean that I want the call reversed at this point. Bad calls are a part of the game. Officials are only human.

Actually this ONE call did win a game, unfortunately. Not that we didn't have more opportunity, but just had to say I have seen several games where one call won/lost a game. Especially in high school football.

Please! Don't act as if the refs cost Russell the game. Do you remember the "ONE" forth down pass play when #24 of Russell shoved a Mercer defender to the ground, it was an obvious offensive pass interference, and the refs did not call it. It extended a drive on which Russell eventually scored. If the ref call pass interference then Russell doesn't score.

The refs called a good game. Did they miss one here and there? Yes they did. Did they change the outcome of the game? No they did not.

Please! Don't act as if the refs cost Russell the game. Do you remember the "ONE" forth down pass play when #24 of Russell shoved a Mercer defender to the ground, it was an obvious offensive pass interference, and the refs did not call it. It extended a drive on which Russell eventually scored. If the ref call pass interference then Russell doesn't score.

The refs called a good game. Did they miss one here and there? Yes they did. Did they change the outcome of the game? No they did not.

Pass interference is a judgement call, the play we are discussing is not. I have no idea what play you're speaking of and I've seen the game quite a few times, it's the first I've heard of anything like that. Even if you are correct and there should have been a flag, it's not the same type of missed call. Like JFLDAD said, this is a contraversal play and we are just discussing it. I will say this though, if Mercer does not get this touchdown, the 2nd half passing of Russell would have been minimal at best. All of the post from Mercer fans have been very defensive toward this particular play and the game as a whole. Try to imagine it was two teams in which you have no interest in, I believe your opinion would be different. It's OK to admit the call was missed, Mercer will still be the winner on paper. Nobody is blaming Mercer's players or Mercer H.S. or saying anything bad against them either, so I don't understand why everyone is so defensive. Call it for what it is.

Imagine any other game but this one, Do you think a missed call in which points are awarded or taken away effects the outcome? Honestly, now.

Try to imagine it was two teams in which you have no interest in, I believe your opinion would be different. It's OK to admit the call was missed, Mercer will still be the winner on paper.

Take some of your own advice, and try taking your Russell goggles off. You have tried to tell me what my opinion should be several times now on different threads.

I know you were right out there on the field and had a better angle to make the call than the refs did. You could see the exact moment the ball came out of the QB's hands and the precise moment that his progress was stopped. Sorry you weren't on the field, and the call was correct by the rule book. My opinion is still that the refs called an overall pretty good game.

My opininon also is that on this day Mercer was the better team. I guess since my opinion is different than yours then I must be wrong.

Sorry Pal, but here's some news for you:

MERCER IS THE WINNER IN REALITY.

All of the post from Mercer fans have been very defensive toward this particular play and the game as a whole.

Of course they're are defensive. It's because there are people who keep trying to imply that Mercer only won because of the refs. What a crock. Mercer won beacause they didn't turn the ball over, forced 5 Russell turn overs, and converted their extra points. And no matter how many people try to blow out Mercer's candle.......It still burns bright.

:thumb: :thumb: Let me preface my comments by saying that I have no prior knowledge of the incident in question. I do know a few things though. First, high school officiating associations are constantly looking for good officials, by all means get out and improve the quality of officiating in our state. Second, these guys are human. They make mistakes. I'm not saying this was one(I actually don't think it is based on what I've heard), but if it was, it happens. They make 60 bucks a game. If you feel you can do better, by all means, please do. Third, the worst thing in the world in any sport for an official to do is to "kill" a play before it's over. As stated by JimmyRef, you wait, wait, and wait some more in a situation like this to be sure. I personally don't like the H.S. rule regarding 4th down fumbling, but it is what it is. One call does not win or lose a game.

I have to disagree with your last few sentences about waiting and waiting. While inadvertant whistles are bad, when the forward progress of the runner is stopped then the ball is dead. You don't want to wait and wait and wait because you risk injury to the kids. I don't know what you've heard about this play but if you read my first post you will know exactly what happened because every word is just how it happened. As an official, you don't want an early whistle but you have determine when the forward progress was stopped and blow your whistle. No whistle was ever blown on the play we're discussing. As for going out and trying to improve officiating, I do. I do throughout the year and not just during the season. It's something I take very very seriously, it's something I am passionate about, and it's something I love to do.

Of course they're are defensive. It's because there are people who keep trying to imply that Mercer only won because of the refs. What a crock. Mercer won beacause they didn't turn the ball over, forced 5 Russell turn overs, and converted their extra points. And no matter how many people try to blow out Mercer's candle.......It still burns bright.

People are talking about this call because it had a huge effect on the game. I don't think anyone ever said it was the sole reason Russell lost this game. Geese, do I sense a guilty conscious?

Take some of your own advice, and try taking your Russell goggles off. You have tried to tell me what my opinion should be several times now on different threads.

I know you were right out there on the field and had a better angle to make the call than the refs did. You could see the exact moment the ball came out of the QB's hands and the precise moment that his progress was stopped. Sorry you weren't on the field, and the call was correct by the rule book. My opinion is still that the refs called an overall pretty good game.

My opininon also is that on this day Mercer was the better team. I guess since my opinion is different than yours then I must be wrong.

Sorry Pal, but here's some news for you:

MERCER IS THE WINNER IN REALITY.

This seems to be a typical response from you. I never said anything negative about Mercer or any of Mercer's players. You have your opinion and it obviously differs from mine. I wasn't trying to tell you what your opinion was, I was just merely trying to get you to look at the situation through clear glasses. That's all. I see now that was just asking a bit too much. If you don't agree with me than that's fine but don't attack me because you are defensive about the subject. That's just a bit ridiculous. Grow up. I'm done with you.