Covington Catholic 75 Beechwood 61

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

I'm a little surprised by the margin, but in these district rivalry games, you often see closer games than expected.  

Can someone who attended give more details about all of the technicals and the chippiness?  Sounds like we all missed a fun and exciting game (evergreen post).  

I am confused. You expected the margin to be wider? Beechwood has 14 wins including wins over Highlands and St. Henry in the last couple weeks.

As to chippiness, there is always chippiness in this rivalry. But this year there is even more. Isn't it obvious? Covington Catholic's best player grew up at Beechwood and became the player he is wearing a Beechwood uniform, playing with all the Beechwood players and being coached by the Beechwood coaches. Very difficult situation seeing your friend and teammate in that uniform.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am confused. You expected the margin to be wider?

Yes, that is what I'm saying.  

Certainly well aware of Mitchell's time with Beechwood, and yes, not surprised in the least that added a little tension to the situation, was just wondering how things manifested themselves in the build-up.  Plus, the bench technical for Beechwood did surprise me a little, even though I know both Erik and Scott (Ruthsatz) can run warm.

However, to put a bow on it, yes, if they meet again in the Districts, I expect the margin to be wider than 14.

21 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

Certainly well aware of Mitchell's time with Beechwood, and yes, not surprised in the least that added a little tension to the situation, was just wondering how things manifested themselves in the build-up.  Plus, the bench technical for Beechwood did surprise me a little, even though I know both Erik and Scott (Ruthsatz) can run warm.

However, to put a bow on it, yes, if they meet again in the Districts, I expect the margin to be wider than 14.

You're in the minority amongst those that watched last night. The game was a lot closer than the 14 point difference. Surprised anyone - including those of us most dedicated to our homer craft - would come away with that as your learning. 

BTW, not mentioned, but what a heat check from Reese Murphy off the bench for the Colonels! He scored 8 quick points in the second quarter in a very short stretch. Nice to have a kid like that coming off your bench. 

Also, in terms of player comps, does Evan Isparo remind anyone else of a young Kelly Niece? The comp may be off, but what an impressive performance from him last n ight. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

You're in the minority amongst those that watched last night. The game was a lot closer than the 14 point difference. Surprised anyone - including those of us most dedicated to our homer craft - would come away with that as your learning. 

BTW, not mentioned, but what a heat check from Reese Murphy off the bench for the Colonels! He scored 8 quick points in the second quarter in a very short stretch. Nice to have a kid like that coming off your bench. 

Also, in terms of player comps, does Evan Isparo remind anyone else of a young Kelly Niece? The comp may be off, but what an impressive performance from him last n ight. 

I've only seen Ipsaro play on video a couple of times, but my first impression is that they found themselves another Grant Diskin in him. 

1 hour ago, The Double Deuce said:

I looked at Covington Catholic's schedule and I get where you're coming from. A 14 point margin is actually a close game for Cov Cath. They have won 12 of their 14 games by 12 points or more.

• Like 1

I haven't actually seen Beechwood this year, but I guess I'm not too terribly surprised by the score....these neighborhood rivalry district matchups are usually brutal.    The three Oldham schools this year all played their district seeding games under 10 points.   Oldham beat South by 8....Oldham beat North by 9....North beat South by 4.   And that's pretty much par for the course every year, regardless of records/rankings.