Highlands Hires Bob Sphire

TheDeuce

55 minutes ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

If this doesn’t get you excited in Ft Thomas as a fan better yet a player, you need to do a little research on Coach Sphire. He is legit. Just sayin!

Beat Colonels!!

oh, how bout ya BigE

I agree. I don’t know much about him but “legit” seems fitting. Looks like a great hire. My only concern is longevity and not having to do this again any time soon. As I’ve stated before, I hope he plays a role in the junior league and is involved with the community. There’s no question he can coach. I believe he will, and that great things are in store for the birds. 

Tickle me pink!  They bought in the Grandfather to take us to the promise land.  I am very excited for the hire, he has an impressive resume and references.  Patience is a virtue.  I am very pleased with the end result.  Congrats administration.  Let’s assemble a staff and get to work!!

Congrats to Highlands and Coach Sphire!  Tough process with everyone seeing the dirty laundry out on the line, but it paid off, as I see this as a great hire!

Looking forward to Coach Sphire's first game as Bluebird's Coach vs my Purples!

Congrats again!

13 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I don't know anything about anything here.  What is Sphire's record the last 5 years?  10 years?

I was already looking that up when you asked. I only went back as the KHSAA scoreboard has documented...didn't go digging for his 3 years as head coach at Knott Central or 91-97 at Lex Cath.

He is 29-25 in the last 5 years, and 78-40 in the last 10 years.

2020 Camden County 5-6
2019 Camden County 8-3
2018 Camden County 7-4
2017 Camden County 3-7
2016 North Gwinnett 6-5
2015 North Gwinnett 5-5
2014 North Gwinnett 9-3
2013 North Gwinnett 13-3 (State Finalist)
2012 North Gwinnett 11-2
2011 North Gwinnett 11-2
2010 North Gwinnett 12-2
2009 North Gwinnett 12-1
2008 North Gwinnett 10-3
2007 North Gwinnett 13-3 (State Finalist)
2006 North Gwinnett 11-2
2005 Lexington Catholic 14-1 (3A State Champions)
2004 Lexington Catholic 10-2
2003 Lexington Catholic 7-5
2002 Lexington Catholic 4-9 (7 forfeit losses)
2001 Lexington Catholic 2-7 (10 forfeit losses)
2000 Lexington Catholic 11-2
1999 Lexington Catholic 11-2
1999 Lexington Catholic 12-1

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I was already looking that up when you asked. I only went back as the KHSAA scoreboard has documented...didn't go digging for his 3 years as head coach at Knott Central or 91-97 at Lex Cath.

He is 29-25 in the last 5 years, and 78-40 in the last 10 years.

2020 Camden County 5-6
2019 Camden County 8-3
2018 Camden County 7-4
2017 Camden County 3-7
2016 North Gwinnett 6-5
2015 North Gwinnett 5-5
2014 North Gwinnett 9-3
2013 North Gwinnett 13-3 (State Finalist)
2012 North Gwinnett 11-2
2011 North Gwinnett 11-2
2010 North Gwinnett 12-2
2009 North Gwinnett 12-1
2008 North Gwinnett 10-3
2007 North Gwinnett 13-3 (State Finalist)
2006 North Gwinnett 11-2
2005 Lexington Catholic 14-1 (3A State Champions)
2004 Lexington Catholic 10-2
2003 Lexington Catholic 7-5
2002 Lexington Catholic 4-9 (7 forfeit losses)
2001 Lexington Catholic 2-7 (10 forfeit losses)
2000 Lexington Catholic 11-2
1999 Lexington Catholic 11-2
1999 Lexington Catholic 12-1

So what I'm reading here is that Highlands hired a coach who is very possibly in the sunset of his career from out of his worst coaching stretch in his last 20 years as head coach.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

So what I'm reading here is that Highlands hired a coach who is very possibly in the sunset of his career from out of his worst coaching stretch in his last 20 years as head coach.

giphy.gif

I guess that's one way you could look at it. Something to bear in mind though, is that "bad stretch" certainly doesn't automatically mean "bad coach," by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I guess that's one way you could look at it. Something to bear in mind though, is that "bad stretch" certainly doesn't automatically mean "bad coach," by any stretch of the imagination.

Exactly, I would want to know a little bit more around Camden County....for example, was their school a dumpster fire before he got there, are they in a district or level in the state with a bunch of prep schools.....There might be a lot of things inside those numbers that really I am not going to weight much on.  I see a highly seasoned veteran that won a ton in this great Bluegrass state.  He has success developing some really good talent that has moved to the next level.  I am ready to go!

Now back to the Air Raid philosophy, too early to throw a QB controversy?  Noon vs. Benke??  Thought I would throw that out there for @Ballfan34   lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Exactly, I would want to know a little bit more around Camden County....for example, was their school a dumpster fire before he got there, are they in a district or level in the state with a bunch of prep schools.....There might be a lot of things inside those numbers that really I am not going to weight much on.  I see a highly seasoned veteran that won a ton in this great Bluegrass state.  He has success developing some really good talent that has moved to the next level.  I am ready to go!

Now back to the Air Raid philosophy, too early to throw a QB controversy?  Noon vs. Benke??  Thought I would throw that out there for @Ballfan34   lol

That's a question better asked in the schedule thread than it is in this one. I would assume the official football schedule should be released any time now as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I may have done some reading on a Georgia HS football board, which provided another testament to how good we got it here, and there did seem to be a consensus that Camden Co. was an actual dumpster fire when he took over.   Also seems to be a lot of kids that had left the program prior to him arriving.  

It certainly does seem that he genuinely knows how to run a program from startup (LexCath) to a rebuild (North Gwinnett) and at all of those places it certainly seems that he left all of them in better shape than when he arrived.   

• Like 5