Highlands Hires Bob Sphire

TheDeuce

3 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

If anyone coaches a long time, there are going to be some bad spots. You are going to have some games that your team looks awful.  I've had Friday nights and thought, "We didn't need to have practiced all week and could've played this bad." 

My first game at Paris, we won 34-0. The next week, Beechwood kicked our tails. Had my chance to retire undefeated and blew it.   🙂

Was that 1991? 

We got to know the Spires some a year or so before they left for Georgia.  Great family and great coach.  

Obviously Bob was able to keep NG at a high level in 7A for a number of years.   He took on the challenge at Camden after they moved up from 6A to 7A.  Maybe that did not go as well as hoped.  But Bob clearly knows how to swim and surf with the sharks in high pressure, high expectation role.  And there is little doubt having a thick skin and being able to take the pressure is requirement of the position.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bluegrasscard said:

We got to know the Spires some a year or so before they left for Georgia.  Great family and great coach.  

Obviously Bob was able to keep NG at a high level in 7A for a number of years.   He took on the challenge at Camden after they moved up from 6A to 7A.  Maybe that did not go as well as hoped.  But Bob clearly knows how to swim and surf with the sharks in high pressure, high expectation role.  And there is little doubt having a thick skin and being able to take the pressure is requirement of the position.  

Exactly what I was going to say.  His time in Georgia 7A, several years with a traditional power, having a history of Ky high school football and a KY State Title under his belt makes him just about a good of a hire as you can find to handle HHS in the situation they find themselves in right now. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

He was mentioned but we were laughed at for even suggesting he would or could be hired at Highlands. What do I know...

And for 1 of the 4 people who liked what he stated I am sure you were liking the part to go get Wolfe.

11 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

No you weren’t.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec3512f3526504768e496a82a3af75b4.jpeg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

And for 1 of the 4 people who liked what he stated I am sure you were liking the part to go get Wolfe.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec3512f3526504768e496a82a3af75b4.jpeg

Like I said, nobody was laughing at you. One person stated their opinion that Sphire wasn't coming. 

17 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Yes, I am still going down the Hayden Asst Coach rabbit hole.....Do we know if he teaches?  Or does he have a job outside of education that is easily transferable to NKY?

Just curious.....

Gym teacher... perfect timing considering the middle school just posted a position. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Gym teacher... perfect timing considering the middle school just posted a position. 

I’m wondering if that job is for Bob not his son.  I know the administration likes to have the head coach in the building and I believe that is what Bob taught in Georgia???

2 hours ago, JBauer24 said:

I’m wondering if that job is for Bob not his son.  I know the administration likes to have the head coach in the building and I believe that is what Bob taught in Georgia???

Middle school PE job is supposedly for the son.  Some type of office job was created for BS.

31 minutes ago, Bluebird99 said:

Middle school PE job is supposedly for the son.  Some type of office job was created for BS.

Awesome, glad they both will be in the school walking the hallways encouraging  the best and all athletes in the school to play football.

• Like 2