Resume Writing

bjknku02

I was wondering if anyone had a good website to assist with putting a resume together? I have searched around and completed several different resumes, then experience all kinds of issues (want you to pay, can't make changes after completed, etc.).  Thanks for any help in advance.

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

In my experience, keep it short and sweet. If your resume is longer than a page, it's probably too long and they won't read it anyway. 

Agree with bugs, you can't go wrong with one of those templates. 

Agree!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

In my experience, keep it short and sweet. If your resume is longer than a page, it's probably too long and they won't read it anyway. 

Correct, know your audience. A resume is a first impression, not a biography. I have reviewed hundreds of resumes in my day. Ensuring things are spelled correctly, format is presentable, no whacky color schemes, and just a general sense of professionalism is the most important thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Correct, know your audience. A resume is a first impression, not a biography. I have reviewed hundreds of resumes in my day. Ensuring things are spelled correctly, format is presentable, no whacky color schemes, and just a general sense of professionalism is the most important thing.

I was taught if it isn't your current job and it's not relevant to the job you're interviewing for, it probably doesn't need to be on there. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, TheDeuce said:

It really depends. For the average person in a mid to lower leve position, this is probably correct. But what if you're a project manager, who's worked on 50 different projects through his career? Or if you've got a 25+ year work history, with many achievements? If it's a position that depends on track record, why would you leave anything off that is related and provides confirmation to that track record? What if the job is requiring vast experience? You have to know your audience and competition that your facing to get the job. One page isn't going to be right for all people and all positions. I think the focus should be customizing the resume to job you're applying for, and proving you're a good fit for the job by listing the related accomplishments. If you can do that in a page, then great. But if a single page makes you look too inexperienced for that particular job, then by all means don't be afraid to go longer. Regardless of the length, it is correct to not list anything that isn't related to or needed for the job you are applying for.

37 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

It really depends. For the average person in a mid to lower leve position, this is probably correct. But what if you're a project manager, who's worked on 50 different projects through his career? Or if you've got a 25+ year work history, with many achievements? If it's a position that depends on track record, why would you leave anything off that is related and provides confirmation to that track record? What if the job is requiring vast experience? You have to know your audience and competition that your facing to get the job. One page isn't going to be right for all people and all positions. I think the focus should be customizing the resume to job you're applying for, and proving you're a good fit for the job by listing the related accomplishments. If you can do that in a page, then great. But if a single page makes you look too inexperienced for that particular job, then by all means don't be afraid to go longer. Regardless of the length, it is correct to not list anything that isn't related to or needed for the job you are applying for.

Absolutely cater it to the audience. My "one page" was basically saying don't put anything in it that's not relative to the job you're applying for. You could have a ton of experience in other fields that is completely irrelevant to the job  you're applying for. That's what I was getting at. 

Two pages is maximum for most positions for "seasoned" professionals.  Customize or tune to the job at hand.  Emphasize the background that is relevant, cut back on that that is not.   For old jobs and for ones that are relevant the line "Held other positions as xxxxx, yyyy, zzzz" or "Prior experience in xxxxx industry."  

Here is what is important - keywords and format.  Not for the humans - for the AI screeners.  Most larger and medium size companies and search firms will use AI to filter applicants.  Years in positions need to be clear.  Title needs to be clear.  A dedicated section that list skills is ideal. 

You can see how well the AI bots can read your resume when you use a site where they ask you just upload your resume and it tries to fill all the fields.  If it captures 90% of the fields correctly - that is good.  If it can not do a good job of translating your resume to the format - not so good. 

The higher level position - the more important all of this is.  While a few hundred dollars may sound like a lot to have a resume done - it may be worthwhile depending on the level of position and how dated your current resume is. 

On 1/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, TheDeuce said:

For sure!  I once helped my husband sift through resumes when he was hiring a sales guy.  I was shocked!  Some were badly hand written.  Others had major spelling and grammar errors. Some were way too long.  All of those went right in the garbage.

Keep it short, professional but sweet and hopefully interesting enough that you get the call for the interview. Good luck!

• Like 1