Highlands 21 Covington Catholic 7 (Frosh)

1 hour ago, 4th&1 said:

So a teammate leaves in the middle of the season to join a "better" team in Cov Cath. Highlands gets a chance to prove that kid wrong....

Sounds like to me, I haven't seen the game but Cov Cath didn't match their level of intensity?

I think this is it. Highlands kids came in with a chip on their shoulder because A) they already lost once to Cov Cath, B) varsity was shut out with a running clock by Cov Cath, and C) one of their talented players left mid-season to head to Cov Cath. I can tell you for sure that if I were in their shoes, there's no doubt that I'd be playing with a chip on my shoulder.

Cov Cath's freshman were missing that intensity. They were also at Highlands. I've long maintained that there's an intimidation factor at DCM that's good for at least a touchdown...that may or may not be quite the case right now, but regardless, there's still an intimidation factor built in to playing in Fort Thomas. Cov Cath's freshman walked into a game against their biggest rival without realizing what they were walking into. They're freshman, and that's one of the mistakes that comes with youth, but that's also on the coaches not to make them aware and prepared for the fact that they were going to be getting 100% A-game out of Highlands last night.

Highlands was missing two starting linemen apparently. Cov Cath was without one of their top ball carriers/defensive backs/skills players. Neither team was 100% healthy, which is a bummer because it obviously makes comparing the first game to the second an unequal comparison.

Coming out of last night's game, I'll take the Cov Cath loss on the freshman level as a good coaching point for this group of guys...you may be used to watching the varsity program win (Cov Cath has only lost 1 game since before they started into junior high), and you may be used to winning things yourself, but you aren't invincible and you can be beaten. I can tell you from some texts I exchanged last night with my nephew, the guys on the Cov Cath freshman team are salty about last night...ending their season on a losing note to Highlands. The last text I sent my nephew last night was, "Good. Don't ever forget how that feels. Use that."

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Cov Cath's freshman were missing that intensity. They were also at Highlands. I've long maintained that there's an intimidation factor at DCM that's good for at least a touchdown...that may or may not be quite the case right now, but regardless, there's still an intimidation factor built in to playing in Fort Thomas. Cov Cath's freshman walked into a game against their biggest rival without realizing what they were walking into. They're freshman, and that's one of the mistakes that comes with youth, but that's also on the coaches not to make them aware and prepared for the fact that they were going to be getting 100% A-game out of Highlands last night.

I've always been more concerned about the lack of parking than any intimidation factor. Bring you walking shoes when headed to Ft. Thomas for a game... 👟

• Like 3

I know the kids really like Dowling.  I also think there is something inherently special about their freshman year at Highlands because for most teams, it is usually the first year all the kids actually play together on the same team.   This current group was split up on two different teams the last two years.  Which can lead to some thin rosters, but an awful, awful lot of snaps for those kids.  So, I think its a real positive the way the FTJFL does it and results in 14/15 year olds who have had a lot of reps leading into that freshman year.      

• Like 1

CCH had to start a new center for this game . As you could tell with there first series. First snap on the ground third snap the entire offense moved in the center still have the ball in his hand.

All credit goes to Highlands. They played better, coaching was better, and they executed.

This freshman group isn’t used to losing in any sport but you learn more from a lose then a win.

In the end your varsity years are much more important. 

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13 - Capitalization

7 hours ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Lol, read the threads from the beginning. A couple highlands fans started talking trash  and taking digs but don’t like it when it’s given back? A lot of you ‘read about both games’. I was their. I have said on several occasions both teams are talented.

not a single person said anything about Cam. Worry about several of your kids still wanting to leave the school . Like I said enjoy the win. Well deserved. 
At the end of the day the next couple of years will be fun to watch. Can’t wait! 
oh but here comes baseball..lol

Why are you bringing up baseball buddy ? 😂😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Lol, it’s one game but we all know it’s your Super Bowl. You guys don’t have much else To get excited about. See you come baseball season.

I think you’re the first Covington Catholic guy to say that Highlands playing Cov Cath is their “Super Bowl” 😂😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

WR Carson Class and RB Dalton Roller were both really good in the first game back a few weeks ago. They both had quite a few tackles on the defensive side too...not sure if they were linebackers or D-linemen, but they were right in the thick of it at the line of scrimmage a lot.

Brody Benke is the freshman QB. He apparently had a nice game last night, as did Class. Ikey Palmer is a really nice D-lineman too.

• Like 1