Highlands 21 Covington Catholic 7 (Frosh)

2 hours ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Take the win and enjoy it BUT pretty simple Highlands played their best game and CCH couldn’t played any worse and still second half was 7-7. So everyone crowning Highlands state champs the next few years take a deep breath. Good talent on both side NOW we will see who will get bigger and faster. 

Come on man.  The first game score was 13-6 was it not?  According to what I read the Highlands defense pitched a shutout.  Perhaps they should have brought Geisler with them instead of spouting of about it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&1 said:

What happened to the Cov Cath passing game?

From what I saw, there were just very few open options.   The Highlands D put decent to good pressure on him all night, and he did take a pretty hard shot early, but I think most of it was coverage related.   He actually played pretty smart and didn't force the ball into bad situations, but just didn't have a lot of options.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Take the win and enjoy it BUT pretty simple Highlands played their best game and CCH couldn’t played any worse and still second half was 7-7. So everyone crowning Highlands state champs the next few years take a deep breath. Good talent on both side NOW we will see who will get bigger and faster. 

That's a pretty passive aggressive "compliment," I guess.  To just second JOAT, that first game saw Highlands throw a pick in the end zone and then have a KO return for a TD called back for holding, so to make it seem like they reached far beyond themselves last night is a little disingenuous.   Highlands had a weird start to the season as damn near half the team was on a quarantine and only fully practiced for 1 week prior to that first game, actually only one practice before the first Ryle game.   They got to play two teams twice, once early in the season and once later and in both the Ryle and CovCath rematches you could very easily see how much they improved.   I don't even know if that was their best game, it's pretty much how they've been playing since Dixie.   

I guess all I'm trying to say is give those kids their due.   When you look at this class, along with the Sophomores who are major contributors already, there is really good reason for the elevated hopes around the program, talent-wise.   Obviously, the second part of that equation is something you are correct about in that we know the CovCath kids will continue to be developed and get better, and that's not something Highlands could say under the current leadership, but those changes are coming.   I just think that with the right leadership (big unknown, I know), the CovCath-Highlands games are going to be awfully damn fun and competitive here the next few years.  

• Like 2

I watched this game along with every HHS/CCH Freshman game that last 7 years and I will tell you, Highlands dominated CCH last night. Sure it was a 2nd half 7-7 game. I think HHS's defense held CCH to 2-1st downs all night. Could of very easily been a 14-0 2nd half. Highlands had the ball with a Fresh set of down on CCH's 11 yard line going into score. And yes, HHS would of scored! A terrific Defensive Strip by CCH and fantastic return 89 yards gave CCH some time to remain on Life support halfway through the 4th. I don't remember for sure but I'm not so sure CCH ever crossed the 50 yard line last night on Offense. Maybe they did but it wasn't very often. CCH's QB was getting Hammered after each throw. I mean destroyed! So with me watching all 7 years and 1 match up on TV earlier this year, here is my question.

How can Highlands for the last 8 match ups with CCH come within One possession of a Victory to even beating CCH Twice in the last 3 meetings, become that Bad at the High School level? A lot of questions to be answered. Many speculations, even some saying it's the FTJFL's fault for driving players away. Really? The Freshman team seems to be very competitive each year but after that it becomes a Dumpster Fire. What gives? Talent? Kids not playing anymore? Strength and conditioning? Probably a combination of all of those things. Just can't figure out why we can compete with or even beat CCH on the Frosh level but have a Running Clock hung on us in Varsity. Something just isn't adding up.

Nice talent on both sides of the ball last night but to ever say Highlands doesn't have talent to Win or even compete on the Varsity level right now is just not a very good argument. I get it that players change over a couple of years but why can't the Highlands player change right with the CCH player?

Again, something just isn't right to me!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lol, read the threads from the beginning. A couple highlands fans started talking trash  and taking digs but don’t like it when it’s given back? A lot of you ‘read about both games’. I was their. I have said on several occasions both teams are talented.

not a single person said anything about Cam. Worry about several of your kids still wanting to leave the school . Like I said enjoy the win. Well deserved. 
At the end of the day the next couple of years will be fun to watch. Can’t wait! 
oh but here comes baseball..lol

38 minutes ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Lol, read the threads from the beginning. A couple highlands fans started talking trash  and taking digs but don’t like it when it’s given back? A lot of you ‘read about both games’. I was their. I have said on several occasions both teams are talented.

not a single person said anything about Cam. Worry about several of your kids still wanting to leave the school . Like I said enjoy the win. Well deserved. 
At the end of the day the next couple of years will be fun to watch. Can’t wait! 
oh but here comes baseball..lol

You better ask around about the Geisler comments, seems you are uninformed.  

3 hours ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Say what you want , but Colonels should’ve showed up to play if that’s your excuse. It’s going to be a fun next few years ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

What players scored or played well that we can look forward to watching in the future?

WR Carson Class and RB Dalton Roller were both really good in the first game back a few weeks ago. They both had quite a few tackles on the defensive side too...not sure if they were linebackers or D-linemen, but they were right in the thick of it at the line of scrimmage a lot.

So a teammate leaves in the middle of the season to join a "better" team in Cov Cath. Highlands gets a chance to prove that kid wrong....

Sounds like to me, I haven't seen the game but Cov Cath didn't match their level of intensity?

• Like 1

I'll just say this,  I wouldn't argue that a team that loses that particular player is necessarily "better" than they were with him, but it really did seem like something happened in so far as the team coming together after he left.   I want to be real clear, I'm not trying to put anything on the shoulders of a 14/15 year old kid, or even suggest he did anything wrong, but there was a difference in the team after that whole thing shook out.   And yeah, I think many of those kids realized how fortunate they were to get a second shot at their arch-rival and they made it count.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sportsguy10 said:

Lol, it’s one game but we all know it’s your Super Bowl. You guys don’t have much else To get excited about. See you come baseball season.

I'm confused.  You keep saying wait till baseball season. Hasn't Highlands been kicking Covington Catholic's butt in baseball the past few seasons? Why are you saying wait till baseball season?

Well, I’m not from NKY I’m a GCL guy so I’m just looking  forward to baseball season .Yes I am aware that Highlands has done very well in baseball and CCH has not. 

Look, I love rivalry’s and the back and forth it’s fun.

Highlands has some nice talent coming in for baseball. I have been fortunate to watch a lot of these boys play over the past few seasons.