Andy Dalton Released

I would have to agree. Most completions, best completion percentage, 2nd in passing yards, most passing TD's as a Bengal

His only knock is not winning any postseason games. But, there are only two QB's who have won post season games (Anderson and Esiason)

1. Kenny Anderson

2. Andy Dalton

3. Boomer Esiason

4. Carson Palmer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN's Josina Anderson reported that a Bengals source told her that the Bengals tried to trade Dalton and that he was the one who requested the opportunity to see what was out there. I guess either no one was interested or no one offered anything that the Bengals wanted.

News she reported was not news. Our local media members reported that all the way back in January. That he wanted to be traded or released. Which is why the Bengals made numerous comments the last few months stating they were going to try to do right by Dalton.

They messed up by holding out thinking they would get better than a 4th round pick for Dalton. That’s what the Bears we’re willing to give up, but the Bengals wanted at least a third and were shooting for a second. They bet on his value being higher, and they were wrong. Teams knew they could call their bluff and just wait for them to release him.

I have nothing but good things to say about Andy Dalton, arguably the #2 QB in Bengals history.

The Bengals did him a favor releasing him. I am confident that Dalton requested the release. Best wishes for future success.

I would have to agree. Most completions, best completion percentage, 2nd in passing yards, most passing TD's as a Bengal

His only knock is not winning any postseason games. But, there are only two QB's who have won post season games (Anderson and Esiason)

1. Kenny Anderson

2. Andy Dalton

3. Boomer Esiason

4. Carson Palmer

Going by stats, Dalton is obviously top two if not at the top. Going by who I think were the best QBs, I would have Dalton fourth even behind Palmer. Dalton arguably played with more talent around him his first five years in the league than any other QB in Bengals history. When you look at the Bengals having a top defense most of those years, even a top 6 running game in 2014 to go with it, and the receivers he had. He definitely had the most to work with, and the most talented WR out of all of them. When you started taking away some of the top talent the last few years, it all changed.

So going by stats he is top two. If you go by who were the best actual QBs, I would put Anderson, Boomer, and Palmer above him. As I think all three could have done more with those teams he had between 2011 and 2015. As I said that is just my opinion though, and I know others feel different and would have him higher.

He'll end up in Foxboro, right?

It all depends on how bad Stidham is and if tanking, is their master plan. Seems crazy for the Pats but it would pay dividends.

He will be in New England soon.

The two most likely spots are the Patriots and Jaguars. I think his best chance to start would be with the Jaguars. Jay Gruden is the offensive coordinator there, and Tyler Eifert is there. I do think he would bear our Gardner Minshew, and I think he is like the Jeremy Lim for the Knicks in basketball a few years back who had a few great weeks, and then never really heard from him again.

With the Patriots he maybe could win more games, but I think he would have a harder time winning the job. Bill Belicheck won’t just give him the job, and Daltons skill set is not like an elite skill set. So I think it could be more difficult for him to win the job in New England as opposed to Jacksonville.

The two most likely spots are the Patriots and Jaguars. I think his best chance to start would be with the Jaguars. Jay Gruden is the offensive coordinator there, and Tyler Eifert is there. I do think he would bear our Gardner Minshew, and I think he is like the Jeremy Lim for the Knicks in basketball a few years back who had a few great weeks, and then never really heard from him again.

With the Patriots he maybe could win more games, but I think he would have a harder time winning the job. Bill Belicheck won’t just give him the job, and Daltons skill set is not like an elite skill set. So I think it could be more difficult for him to win the job in New England as opposed to Jacksonville.

Pats are the odds on favorite. 1 year deal, or multi?

Going by stats, Dalton is obviously top two if not at the top. Going by who I think were the best QBs, I would have Dalton fourth even behind Palmer. Dalton arguably played with more talent around him his first five years in the league than any other QB in Bengals history. When you look at the Bengals having a top defense most of those years, even a top 6 running game in 2014 to go with it, and the receivers he had. He definitely had the most to work with, and the most talented WR out of all of them. When you started taking away some of the top talent the last few years, it all changed.

So going by stats he is top two. If you go by who were the best actual QBs, I would put Anderson, Boomer, and Palmer above him. As I think all three could have done more with those teams he had between 2011 and 2015. As I said that is just my opinion though, and I know others feel different and would have him higher.

I can see Boomer at #2, but Palmer is clearly #4 on that list for me. Here's why:

1. Palmer is a loser - literally a loser. He had a losing record as the Bengals QB. The Bengals had a winning record two times during the Palmer era.

2. Interceptions - Palmer threw too many interceptions and even worse, many of those were pick six interceptions.

3. 2-14 vs. playoffs - Palmers last season the Bengals were 2-14. Dalton comes in the next year as a rookie and leads the Bengals to the playoffs. Meanwhile, Palmer goes to 4-3 Oakland mid season and promptly leads them to a 4-5 record the rest of the way and no playoffs.

Lastly and most importantly - character. Andy Dalton is a first class top shelf person. Palmer is a selfish, petty jerk.

I can see Boomer at #2, but Palmer is clearly #4 on that list for me. Here's why:

1. Palmer is a loser - literally a loser. He had a losing record as the Bengals QB. The Bengals had a winning record two times during the Palmer era.

2. Interceptions - Palmer threw too many interceptions and even worse, many of those were pick six interceptions.

3. 2-14 vs. playoffs - Palmers last season the Bengals were 2-14. Dalton comes in the next year as a rookie and leads the Bengals to the playoffs. Meanwhile, Palmer goes to 4-3 Oakland mid season and promptly leads them to a 4-5 record the rest of the way and no playoffs.

Lastly and most importantly - character. Andy Dalton is a first class top shelf person. Palmer is a selfish, petty jerk.

Everything you said about character, I completely agree with you on. Dalton as a person and as a representative of the Bengals completely trumps Palmer. Especially after his comments I don’t like Palmer. However, taking feelings out of it. As a pure QB, I take Palmer over Dalton everyday. I think most NFL people would too if given the choice.

On Interceptions they both have been pretty bad. Palmer intercepted 3% of the time, Dalton 2.7%. As for the teams they played on, Daltons Bengal teams from 2012 to 2015 was a more overall talented team on both sides of the ball than any team Palmer played on for the Bengals.

QBR which is a stat that indicates how much value a QB truly had in a game. Dalton in all his years in Cincinnati only had one year with a QBR higher than the 50, and that was in 2015. He has had multiple years in the 40s, and the rest in the 50s. Palmer from 2005 to 2007 QBR was 60s or higher all three years. Then the other years in the 50s. Then even in 2015 Daltons best year, Palmer had a better QBR than him that season too.

I know it’s best we agree to disagree on this. My biggest thing and I have said this for awhile, I have always felt Dalton did less with more. From 2012 to 2015 were some of the most overall talented Bengal teams in history in terms of talent on both sides of the ball. Top 10 defenses, top 6 running game in 2014. Good o line, good skill positions. Yet when they played teams with winning records, prime time, playoffs, etc. Even with all that talent around him, bad QB play killed them. Shoot Daltons backup QB in one playoff game in the rain, has just as many TD passes as Dalton had in 4 playoff games. So I do feel like if Palmer played on those same teams that Dalton had. That he would have had equal success at worst, and probably more. Would we have won a super bowl, probably not because Palmer would throw interceptions as you said. However, I do feel we may have won a couple playoff games. I just feel he was the better QB, so I would rank him ahead. However, I definitely get why you and others prefer Dalton.

Pats are the odds on favorite. 1 year deal, or multi?

I still think he ends up with the Jaguars. Which if Dalton is smart it would be a one year deal like Tannehill got. Hope he gets the job and balls out and then lands a big contract like Tannehill.

Everything you said about character, I completely agree with you on. Dalton as a person and as a representative of the Bengals completely trumps Palmer. Especially after his comments I don’t like Palmer. However, taking feelings out of it. As a pure QB, I take Palmer over Dalton everyday. I think most NFL people would too if given the choice.

On Interceptions they both have been pretty bad. Palmer intercepted 3% of the time, Dalton 2.7%. As for the teams they played on, Daltons Bengal teams from 2012 to 2015 was a more overall talented team on both sides of the ball than any team Palmer played on for the Bengals.

QBR which is a stat that indicates how much value a QB truly had in a game. Dalton in all his years in Cincinnati only had one year with a QBR higher than the 50, and that was in 2015. He has had multiple years in the 40s, and the rest in the 50s. Palmer from 2005 to 2007 QBR was 60s or higher all three years. Then the other years in the 50s. Then even in 2015 Daltons best year, Palmer had a better QBR than him that season too.

I know it’s best we agree to disagree on this. My biggest thing and I have said this for awhile, I have always felt Dalton did less with more. From 2012 to 2015 were some of the most overall talented Bengal teams in history in terms of talent on both sides of the ball. Top 10 defenses, top 6 running game in 2014. Good o line, good skill positions. Yet when they played teams with winning records, prime time, playoffs, etc. Even with all that talent around him, bad QB play killed them. Shoot Daltons backup QB in one playoff game in the rain, has just as many TD passes as Dalton had in 4 playoff games. So I do feel like if Palmer played on those same teams that Dalton had. That he would have had equal success at worst, and probably more. Would we have won a super bowl, probably not because Palmer would throw interceptions as you said. However, I do feel we may have won a couple playoff games. I just feel he was the better QB, so I would rank him ahead. However, I definitely get why you and others prefer Dalton.

Your whole Dalton opinion centers in large part on the playoffs, and that is why I choose Dalton over Palmer. Palmer is a playoff loser also. He played on a couple excellent teams in Arizona and managed one playoff win. The year Arizona looked Super Bowl bound, I believe the Palmer pick six flaw doomed them. He did "less with more". Palmer also has a history of that. The year Palmer was traded to Oakland to hopefully get them to the playoffs he had a worse record with the Raiders than the quarterback he replaced. Less with more.

I don't know if Palmer wins more than Dalton with Dalton's Bengals teams. Zero chance in my mind Palmer wins a Super Bowl with any of Dalton's Bengals teams.

I put a LOT into character. Nothing about Palmer's stats overcomes his character flaws for me.

You are good at this so here is something I would like to see your thoughts on - Palmer's 2010 4-12 Bengals vs Dalton's 2011 9-7 playoff Bengals.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Your whole Dalton opinion centers in large part on the playoffs, and that is why I choose Dalton over Palmer. Palmer is a playoff loser also. He played on a couple excellent teams in Arizona and managed one playoff win. The year Arizona looked Super Bowl bound, I believe the Palmer pick six flaw doomed them. He did "less with more". Palmer also has a history of that. The year Palmer was traded to Oakland to hopefully get them to the playoffs he had a worse record with the Raiders than the quarterback he replaced. Less with more.

I don't know if Palmer wins more than Dalton with Dalton's Bengals teams. Zero chance in my mind Palmer wins a Super Bowl with any of Dalton's Bengals teams.

I put a LOT into character. Nothing about Palmer's stats overcomes his character flaws for me.

You are good at this so here is something I would like to see your thoughts on - Palmer's 2010 4-12 Bengals vs Dalton's 2011 9-7 playoff Bengals.

2010 Bengals offense actually averaged more yards a game than the 2011 Bengals offense. The 2011 Bengals did average one more point a game. Which having a defense a top defense probably helped. 2010 defense was 15th in the NFL in yards given up, but also was 24th in the NFL in points given up. On the flip side the 2011 defense was in the top 10 in both yards and points given up.

The Bengals 2011 offense had 7 new players starting on offense that season. So Dalton was essentially playing with a whole new group on offense and in a whole new system on offense because Jay Gruden took over that year. So it was a whole new offense and new players.

As for Palmer in Oakland. You are smart enough to acknowledge almost no QB would have went there and done well considering the circumstances. Palmer was sitting on his couch and tailgating at USC football games, in the middle of the NFL season when he got traded. So he basically went from the couch to starting, and had to learn the whole offensive system, players and doing that while on the fly while starting football games in the middle of the season with no real practice time to work or get timing down with receivers, etc. I think you can even acknowledge that would be hard for any QB to do. QBs need some time to get in rhythm, and he went from the couch to the starting QB.

Especially when you consider, he would have had to ball out for them to have success. Considering that Oakland’s defense was terrible that season and ranked 28th in the NFL on defense in both yards and points given up. To put things in perspective Oakland’s defense in 4 of the losses after Palmer took over gave up scores of 34, 46, 28, and 38. While the 2011 Bengals defense only gave up more than 25 points in 2 games all season. Which Dalton lost both of those games, when the defense didn’t play well.

At the end of the day we both probably have a lot that can support both our opinions on this. For me If I had to pick out of the two, I would pick Palmer. However, I definitely understand why some would choose Dalton.

2010 Bengals offense actually averaged more yards a game than the 2011 Bengals offense. The 2011 Bengals did average one more point a game. Which having a defense a top defense probably helped. 2010 defense was 15th in the NFL in yards given up, but also was 24th in the NFL in points given up. On the flip side the 2011 defense was in the top 10 in both yards and points given up.

The Bengals 2011 offense had 7 new players starting on offense that season. So Dalton was essentially playing with a whole new group on offense and in a whole new system on offense because Jay Gruden took over that year. So it was a whole new offense and new players.

As for Palmer in Oakland. You are smart enough to acknowledge almost no QB would have went there and done well considering the circumstances. Palmer was sitting on his couch and tailgating at USC football games, in the middle of the NFL season when he got traded. So he basically went from the couch to starting, and had to learn the whole offensive system, players and doing that while on the fly while starting football games in the middle of the season with no real practice time to work or get timing down with receivers, etc. I think you can even acknowledge that would be hard for any QB to do. QBs need some time to get in rhythm, and he went from the couch to the starting QB.

Especially when you consider, he would have had to ball out for them to have success. Considering that Oakland’s defense was terrible that season and ranked 28th in the NFL on defense in both yards and points given up. To put things in perspective Oakland’s defense in 4 of the losses after Palmer took over gave up scores of 34, 46, 28, and 38. While the 2011 Bengals defense only gave up more than 25 points in 2 games all season. Which Dalton lost both of those games, when the defense didn’t play well.

At the end of the day we both probably have a lot that can support both our opinions on this. For me If I had to pick out of the two, I would pick Palmer. However, I definitely understand why some would choose Dalton.

You got me curious. I only saw 3 different starters between 2010 and 2011 and the key players were all the same except AJ Green replacing Terrell Owens. The stats of those two were a wash.

As to Palmer's performance in Oakland, he was 3-2 after 5 games. Is that enough games for him to work out the kinks and learn the offense? An offense he already knew before he went there because of Hue Jackson? Palmer went 1-4 down the stretch and blew their playoff hopes.

Just wanted to correct those points. Yes, we will agree to disagree on this one. I do get irritated by the fantasized view many have of Palmer (not directing this at you). He had a problem of cracking under pressure. He was the king of the pick six and those always seemed to happen at key times in games. He put up good numbers in this pass happy era but overall I see him as a loser who couldn't win big games, a fact that people hammer Dalton on and I never hear that point made about Palmer.

You got me curious. I only saw 3 different starters between 2010 and 2011 and the key players were all the same except AJ Green replacing Terrell Owens. The stats of those two were a wash.

As to Palmer's performance in Oakland, he was 3-2 after 5 games. Is that enough games for him to work out the kinks and learn the offense? An offense he already knew before he went there because of Hue Jackson? Palmer went 1-4 down the stretch and blew their playoff hopes.

Just wanted to correct those points. Yes, we will agree to disagree on this one. I do get irritated by the fantasized view many have of Palmer (not directing this at you). He had a problem of cracking under pressure. He was the king of the pick six and those always seemed to happen at key times in games. He put up good numbers in this pass happy era but overall I see him as a loser who couldn't win big games, a fact that people hammer Dalton on and I never hear that point made about Palmer.

To be be fair when I say I would choose Palmer over Dalton. I’m not acting like Palmer would have won us a Super Bowl. I agree he shown even when he did have talent around him in Arizona, that his interceptions would keep him from ever leading a team to a super bowl. He did however lead them to a first round bye, a playoff win, and to the NFC Championship. So I choose him, because I do think at worst he would have done the same as Dalton and got the same teams to the playoffs that Dalton did. With a possible better chance of winning a game or two while there. At the end of the day he also wouldn’t have gotten us to the ultimate goal though.

As for the 7 new starters on offense. Geoff Hopson of Bengals.com just had an article talking about Dalton and that 2011 team and the reboot, of having 7 new offensive starters. So that is where I got 7 new offensive starters from. Off the top of my head Dalton, Green, Simpson, Andre Smith took over at RT after Dennis Roland was the starter in 2010, Andrew Hawkins in the slot, Clint Boling was drafted and rotated at LG with Nate Livings, and I think Jermaine Greshman became the starting TE in his second season in 2011 over Reggie Kelly. With the biggest thing being Jay Gruden as the new OC, after Bratkowski and his offense became very predictable.

With all that said it was just reported Dalton is signing with the Cowboys. I honestly love that decision by him. He is positioning himself well, in case the Cowboys don’t want to pay Dak that huge contract he wants after this season. Dallas would be a great fit for him, good o line, good running game, and good WRs.