Andy Dalton Released

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocked!

Why? They needed a backup QB, they get a good backup in Dalton who is a great instance policy to Dak. Imo both he and Dak are very similar type players, with neither being elite imo. The difference is Dak is wanting a huge contract, while Dalton probably could be kept for a lot cheaper, is they move on from Dak after this season.

To be be fair when I say I would choose Palmer over Dalton. I’m not acting like Palmer would have won us a Super Bowl. I agree he shown even when he did have talent around him in Arizona, that his interceptions would keep him from ever leading a team to a super bowl. He did however lead them to a first round bye, a playoff win, and to the NFC Championship. So I choose him, because I do think at worst he would have done the same as Dalton and got the same teams to the playoffs that Dalton did. With a possible better chance of winning a game or two while there. At the end of the day he also wouldn’t have gotten us to the ultimate goal though.

As for the 7 new starters on offense. Geoff Hopson of Bengals.com just had an article talking about Dalton and that 2011 team and the reboot, of having 7 new offensive starters. So that is where I got 7 new offensive starters from. Off the top of my head Dalton, Green, Simpson, Andre Smith took over at RT after Dennis Roland was the starter in 2010, Andrew Hawkins in the slot, Clint Boling was drafted and rotated at LG with Nate Livings, and I think Jermaine Greshman became the starting TE in his second season in 2011 over Reggie Kelly. With the biggest thing being Jay Gruden as the new OC, after Bratkowski and his offense became very predictable.

With all that said it was just reported Dalton is signing with the Cowboys. I honestly love that decision by him. He is positioning himself well, in case the Cowboys don’t want to pay Dak that huge contract he wants after this season. Dallas would be a great fit for him, good o line, good running game, and good WRs.

I am not counting Dalton for Palmer as a change in starters for our discussion. We are talking about the team around each of them. Gresham and Livings started on both teams so no change there. Hawkins wasn't a starter. There were actually 4 new starters around Dalton. I am pulling this info from Pro Football Reference.

I am not counting Dalton for Palmer as a change in starters for our discussion. We are talking about the team around each of them. Gresham and Livings started on both teams so no change there. Hawkins wasn't a starter. There were actually 4 new starters around Dalton. I am pulling this info from Pro Football Reference.

When you look at who pro football reference listed as starters that season, they listed two TEs as starters in both Reggie Kelly and Jermaine Gresham in 2010 and somehow didn’t list Chad Johnson as a starter. So that kind of kills the credibility of using pro football reference as a resource on who was starting, when it didn’t even list Chad Johnson or should I say Ocho Cinco as a starter.

I am attaching the article by Geoff Hobson that referenced the 7 new starters. I believe it is in paragraph 11. The link is at the bottom of this post.

The new starters or changes on offense for 2011 were Dalton, Green, Simpson, Caldwell/Hawkins in the slot (Jordan Shipley was the starting slot WR in 2010), Clint Boling started a few games at guard as a rookie in 2011 and played in others, Andre Smith was the starting RT in 2011. Those 6 were all new starters in 2011 that didn’t start in 2010. Now I do think Hopson was including Gresham as a new starter in 2011 to make the 7 he talked about. Since Kelly was technically the starting TE in 2010. However, he was on the field a lot, so I agree In not counting him. However, that means there were 6 total new players starting on offense in 2011, that didn’t start in 2010 not including Gresham. So 6 new starters on offense, and a defense that became a top 10 defense again after not being so good in 2010.

Quick Hits: Bengals complete overhaul, ready for 22.