Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coronavirus

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Not sure if this was captured here. 

NCAA now recognizes "natural immunity" as "fully vaccinated" in the new guidelines.  At least in terms of an infection within last 90 days. 

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-ncaa-releases-updated-covid-19-guidance-for-winter-sports

A person who has had a documented COVID-19 infection in the past 90 days is considered the equivalent of "fully vaccinated."

 

I am not sure it was a full-on NCAA rule, but conferences have been using similar guidance over a year. Many other industries have been doing the same for some time, like the airlines.

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Views 313.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • My wife is home, but is really no better than when I took her to the ER. However everything they were doing for her there, we are going to be able to do at home. She has a very long recovery in front

  • I mean isn’t that kind of what we did with not allowing smoking inside restaurants? Isn’t that why there’s no smoking at sporting events? It’s to make other people feel more comfortable. Kind of simil

  • This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started. I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”.    We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and t

Posted Images

According to a study by Oregon State pot can help prevent COVID infection.

We need to be looking more and more at cannabis for all kinds of therapeutic treatments.

From Forbes.com:

Compounds in cannabis can prevent infection from the virus that causes Covid-19 by blocking its entry into cells, according to a study published this week by researchers affiliated with Oregon State University. A report on the research, “Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants,” was published online on Monday by the Journal of Natural Products.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajherrington/2022/01/11/study-finds-cannabis-compounds-prevent-infection-by-covid-19-virus/?sh=24e0caa01753

22 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

169.27 today.

173.57 today. Might be peaking with the slower increase in the rate. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

173.57 today. Might be peaking with the slower increase in the rate. 

I don't think the models factored in human nature and people getting together and traveling so much the last week of December and first week if January, like we did. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan41 said:

I don't think the models factored in human nature and people getting together and traveling so much the last week of December and first week if January, like we did. 

As well as those of us who are ready to move on, accept the risks, doubt the statistics, and are tired of the hysteria.

 

14 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

As well as those of us who are ready to move on, accept the risks, doubt the statistics, and are tired of the hysteria.

 

I do have a legitimate question that I’ve been meaning to ask here though. I’ve read and heard from various news outlets over the past 2-3 weeks that masks are not effective against the Omicron variant of the Covid-19 virus.  So why am I seeing more school districts and businesses going back to mandatory mask wearing?  Is it just for the sake of saying they’re doing SOMETHING?

35 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I do have a legitimate question that I’ve been meaning to ask here though. I’ve read and heard from various news outlets over the past 2-3 weeks that masks are not effective against the Omicron variant of the Covid-19 virus.  So why am I seeing more school districts and businesses going back to mandatory mask wearing?  Is it just for the sake of saying they’re doing SOMETHING?

98% of the masks people use have not been effective against any variant of COVID and I think you have it right, they are ignorant but do it for the sake of saying they are doing something. 

30 minutes ago, theguru said:

98% of the masks people use have not been effective against any variant of COVID and I think you have it right, they are ignorant but do it for the sake of saying they are doing something. 

I've always felt the biggest purpose of the mask was to help stop the spread by the wearer. Mask are very effective at limiting the range of aerosol particles coming out of a mouth or nose of the wearing. One test I saw it reduced the distance they spread by 90%. 

As you stated most of the mask people wear won't really protect them. They've had to spin it that way to get people to wear them though. If they has said you need to wear them so you don't spread it yourself, most people would never wear them thinking they don't have Corona so no need for a mask.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, theguru said:

According to a study by Oregon State pot can help prevent COVID infection.

We need to be looking more and more at cannabis for all kinds of therapeutic treatments.

From Forbes.com:

Compounds in cannabis can prevent infection from the virus that causes Covid-19 by blocking its entry into cells, according to a study published this week by researchers affiliated with Oregon State University. A report on the research, “Cannabinoids Block Cellular Entry of SARS-CoV-2 and the Emerging Variants,” was published online on Monday by the Journal of Natural Products.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajherrington/2022/01/11/study-finds-cannabis-compounds-prevent-infection-by-covid-19-virus/?sh=24e0caa01753

For what it is worth Forbes.com posted a much longer article today disputing what they reported on this topic yesterday.  

All I have to add is we need to study cannabis a lot more than we do.

Well, any habitual pot smokers out there want to weigh in?  Not sure if you can because technically, it’s illegal activity, but it would be interesting to know.

5 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Well, any habitual pot smokers out there want to weigh in?  Not sure if you can because technically, it’s illegal activity, but it would be interesting to know.

I am certainly not "habitual" but I strongly believe I got Original Rona (my symptoms were moderate), I got Delta (piece of cake), and finally Omicron (piece of cake minor head cold).  With that all said, those are the only three times I have been sick in the last two years. 

11 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Well, any habitual pot smokers out there want to weigh in?  Not sure if you can because technically, it’s illegal activity, but it would be interesting to know.

Narc! ?

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

For anyone who wants a deep dive on the effectiveness of masks, here you go:

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Conclusion - mask wearing is effective in controlling the spread. 

Thanks for posting that, to call it a deep dive is an understatement, man there is a lot of info in that article.

There are three things that stand out to me after skimming that article.  One is they are suggesting cloth masks and that contradicts about everything that we are currently being told. Two, direct evidence of mask efficacy is inconclusive. Three, their review says masks could reduce community spread but it requires near-universal mask wearing in conjunction with other public health measures to reduce community transmission.  Or simply put, their review is idealistic and inconclusive. 

Abstract

Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high. Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies

Direct Evidence of the Efficacy of Public Mask Wearing

Overall, direct evidence of the efficacy of mask use is supportive, but inconclusive. Since there are no RCTs, only one observational trial, and unclear evidence from other respiratory illnesses, we will need to look at a wider body of evidence.

Conclusion

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce Re to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained.

Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.