New Orleans police issue a warrant for Odell Beckham Jr .

It’s really not that hard to keep your hands to yourself. Listening to the talking heads on ESPN today whining that the cop should’ve let it go. They’d be the first ones crying or complaining if a cop legally went hands on with Odell for it.

As for the reason why he didn’t arrest right there. There’s a lot of reasons that could’ve played into it. I’ll give my reason I would’ve done the same thing. Maybe he wasn’t sure who actually did it even though he may have been pretty sure it was Odell. Next, is the juice worth the squeeze, meaning yea you can go ahead and go hands on, which would’ve made things worse. It’s been speculated Odell was under the influence of some things, on top of the fact you’re outnumbered by a lot more physically superior grown men. No rush to take him then. You know who he is and having the judge approved warrant gives more legal credibility, plus you control the atmosphere he’s arrested in, which is obviously going to be him turning himself in, with his attorney which safer for both the officer and Odell. At the end of the day, this is on Odell. Keep your freaking hands to yourself and have some respect for the guy just doing his job.

Odell was trying to embarrass the officer and he probably did. But in the end, the Officer gets the last laugh.

Excellent summary @00Rocket28 and we are in lockstep on this.

The larger issue which Rocket alluded to is the "atmosphere/customs" at these college football events. Just like the Kentucky pregame stuff College Football has an out of control atmosphere before and after games. This is the kind of thing that happens and I believe the College Football Powers that be love it!

The larger issue which Rocket alluded to is the "atmosphere/customs" at these college football events. Just like the Kentucky pregame stuff College Football has an out of control atmosphere before and after games. This is the kind of thing that happens and I believe the College Football Powers that be love it!

I assure you they do not like OBJ handing out money to the players during this fray. That is a whole other sidebar discussion though.

I'm always amazed that the after the games circus has never led to more issues than it has, including injury and death.

Cops had no business being the locker room if there wasn't a reported incident.

My guess is someone with the stadium made a complaint. Which then removes the officer’s discretion to ignore or let things slide. The officer probably didn’t want to be in there anymore than they wanted him in there. Also, all these college teams have cops travel with the team, which also includes being in the locker rooms.

My first reaction (without knowing anything about it) was what was the police officer doing in the locker room. In other words, like you I think, my default position is police officers should be outside the locker room and only summoned if there is an incident requiring their skill set. However, it is such a clown show the powers that be probably want the officers everywhere. I see it as a Jerry Springer dynamic when he hired off duty police officers to essentially act as bouncers.

My guess is someone with the stadium made a complaint. Which then removes the officer’s discretion to ignore or let things slide. The officer probably didn’t want to be in there anymore than they wanted him in there. Also, all these college teams have cops travel with the team, which also includes being in the locker rooms.

I agree the overwhelming majority of police officers I worked with would not want to be anywhere near the inside of a locker room. They are more than happy to stand in corner, not be the center of any type of attention, and only act if needed.

The problem is when schools and/or corporations hire police officers they normally have an agenda which contradicts what I would describe as normal police practices.

Coming full circle, the bigger the clown show becomes the more likely the police are to be drawn into it and then we are left with these type of messes.

Honestly, I believe "Police Detail Work" needs a major overhaul nationwide.

I agree the overwhelming majority of police officers I worked with would not want to be anywhere near the inside of a locker room. They are more than happy to stand in corner, not be the center of any type of attention, and only act if needed.

The problem is when schools and/or corporations hire police officers they normally have an agenda which contradicts what I would describe as normal police practices.

Coming full circle, the bigger the clown show becomes the more likely the police are to be drawn into it and then we are left with these type of messes.

Honestly, I believe "Police Detail Work" needs a major overhaul nationwide.

I don’t touch that “moonlighting” OT. Doesn’t pay enough and is always more trouble than it’s worth. Nothing like asking for 3-4 contractual OT guys to control an outdoor concert with 4-5k people within cheap beer. No thanks!

People always complaining that the police should de-escalate situations...

This one sort of did. He didnt create a situation in the locker room by immediately arresting him. Some of the same people criticizing him for obtaining a warrant would have criticized him for immediately throwing the cuffs on too, especially if it turned it in to a worse situation where force had to be used.

I hope OBJ figures things out. It seems like he is spiralling out of control. I hate to see that.