Bluegrasspreps Mr. Football Watchlist (10/23)

Going to play some devils advocate for you, Hayes has 46 receptions and 17 carries for a total of 1200 yards and 19 touchdowns. That is 19 yards per touch and a TD every 3.3 times he touches the ball. He also has 2 tackles on the year. Compare that to Reese Smith at Boyle who has 33 catches and 3 carries for a total of 1034 yards and 15 touchdowns. That is 28.7 yards per touch and a TD every 2.4 times he touches the ball. He also has 19 tackles and 4 INTs from his safety spot that he only plays part time. If Reese touched the ball as many times as Hayes his numbers would be 1801 yards and 26 TDs. Boyle isn’t on the field for that many plays offensively and the starters only play 2-3 quarters on Average. That is why Reese is rated much higher than Hayes. Not that Hayes isn’t a good receiver it’s just that Reese is a more impactful player per touch and is a big contributor on the defensive side of the ball as well.

So because Reese has more YPC he's more deserving? I believe he is an outstanding athlete as well. Hayes doesn't really play defense that I know. I can't penalize Hayes because he got open more (while receiving double coverage from some great defenses). Bottom line is 144 yards a game > 120 yards a game and 19 TD's are > than 13.

I can't buy the if he got more time either. Both play on good teams and run into that. Here's the facts: Boyle's starting QB has completed 100 passes for 1823 yards, while McCracken's starting QB has completed 101 passes for 1835. That's about as close as you can get. When the starting QB is in, the starting WR is in. So the "if he only had more catches and chances he would have this or that" argument holds no water. You can't penalize Hayes for getting open more and getting almost 200 more yards to date and 6 more TD's. The QB's have completed basically the same number of passes and the same number of yards.

I looked at the toughest games each had:

Reese

Highlands 3 catches for 59 yards and 0 TD's

CAL 6 catches for 194 and 3 TD's

LexCath 8 for 275 and 3 TD's

Hayes

Bowling Green 8 for 176 and 2 TD's (they were also without their star RB Bradley)

Paducah Tilghman 4 for 40 and 3 TD's

Mayfield 11 for 272 and 3 TD's

The 2 best defenses are Bowling Green and Highlands on this list. That's telling for me.

So because Reese has more YPC he's more deserving? I believe he is an outstanding athlete as well. Hayes doesn't really play defense that I know. I can't penalize Hayes because he got open more (while receiving double coverage from some great defenses). Bottom line is 144 yards a game > 120 yards a game and 19 TD's are > than 13.

I can't buy the if he got more time either. Both play on good teams and run into that. Here's the facts: Boyle's starting QB has completed 100 passes for 1823 yards, while McCracken's starting QB has completed 101 passes for 1835. That's about as close as you can get. When the starting QB is in, the starting WR is in. So the "if he only had more catches and chances he would have this or that" argument holds no water. You can't penalize Hayes for getting open more and getting almost 200 more yards to date and 6 more TD's. The QB's have completed basically the same number of passes and the same number of yards.

Reese

Hayes

Bowling Green 8 for 176 and 2 TD's (they were also without their star RB Bradley)

The 2 best defenses are Bowling Green and Highlands on this list. That's telling for me.

Better YPC, more TDs per touch and a game changer on defense is enough for me. McCracken has also attempted 53 more passes than Boyle and run 100 more plays. How many more targets is that to Hayes that went incomplete? Reese has done more with his opportunities in my opinion. Not saying Hayes isn’t good but I don’t think he is more worthy of Mr. Football. To each his own though.

Reese

Hayes

What you’re forgetting is that Reese Smith had 2 interceptions against Highlands and several pass deflections. Boyle County is more than Reese Smith. While Reese is extremely impactful, there are several playmakers that play for the Rebels and him being on the field opens up more opportunities for other players. Which in my opinion it did in that game. Boyle County also won 30-0 against Highlands while McCracken lost 14-42 to Bowling Green.

I’m not sure if you have seen Reese Smith play but you might want to check him out. I personally would like to see Hayes play but I doubt I’ll get the opportunity. Anyways, good luck to your team the rest of the season.

Reese

Hayes

Have not seen Hayes either, but certainly he must be the real deal. Mr. Football annually has the argument is it a career or just senior season. I for one think it should be awarded with a slight weight toward career but a stellar senior season is a must. Smith's overall career numbers are just off the chart and dwarf Hayes. It will be tough for either of these non-QBs to win it. In my mind today I would award Co-Mr. Football to WR Smith and QB Lanter(sp?) from Boyle Co.

@WestDanville,

You’re from Boyle so I get you sticking with Reese. Hayes more TD’s and more yards and more receptions. Leads the state in yards and TD’s. I wouldn’t change that for 19 tackles and a respectable 4 INTs. Best WR is Hayes in stats and to me on film. I’m not a McCracken fan but he is far and away the best football player I’ve seen this year ( including film of others)

@charlesw88, I’ve watched Hayes first hand as I live in Paducah but not a fan. My team is Owensboro. I’ve seen several games this year if some great teams and Hayes is the best I’ve seen. I’ve watched Reese on film as well. No dog in the fight. I think Hightower should be a top choice as well.

@WestDanville,

You’re from Boyle so I get you sticking with Reese. Hayes more TD’s and more yards and more receptions. Leads the state in yards and TD’s. I wouldn’t change that for 19 tackles and a respectable 4 INTs. Best WR is Hayes in stats and to me on film. I’m not a McCracken fan but he is far and away the best football player I’ve seen this year ( including film of others)

I am a Boyle guy, yes BUT I also critique and criticize Boyle harder than probably anybody except the Boyle Coaching staff. For me to be this all in on Reese says a lot. I will say I have not seen Hayes play all I have is what I see on paper. On a completely different note what kind of looks is Hayes getting as far as colleges go?

@olderccoach,

Good thought. I’m sure each one votes differently. My assumption is the current year matter 95 percent and if it’s a dead lock then look at career. What really happens is regional people vote for who they know if it’s close. A Louisville, Lexington or Northern KY usually has a big edge in publicity. My guess is Allen will win. But he has to sling it around all game because they can’t stop anyone either. If your going just on college talent and a skill position give my the CovCath kid and Vito Tisdale. But you can’t or at least shouldn’t do that.

This could get debated at a later date when McCracken gets beat out of the playoffs and Boyle keeps winning and Reese receptions total Hayes then compare stats? Just a thought. Boyle doesn’t have but one kid leading anything in the state and that is kicking. They are a team not a one man show but they have ALOT of great players that are going to college to play so one guy doesn’t have to be a STAT leader.

@charlesw88, I’ve watched Hayes first hand as I live in Paducah but not a fan. My team is Owensboro. I’ve seen several games this year if some great teams and Hayes is the best I’ve seen. I’ve watched Reese on film as well. No dog in the fight. I think Hightower should be a top choice as well.

Did you think he was better then Bradley from McCracken? He’s a junior so he’s not on here but he’s amazing.

This could get debated at a later date when McCracken gets beat out of the playoffs and Boyle keeps winning and Reese receptions total Hayes then compare stats? Just a thought. Boyle doesn’t have but one kid leading anything in the state and that is kicking. They are a team not a one man show but they have ALOT of great players that are going to college to play so one guy doesn’t have to be a STAT leader.

Well this thread is about MR football, but McCracken has another stud that may be a MR. football candidate next year.

One man show? You obviously haven’t looked at McCracken.